Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did this info help you?

• Yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter to me

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
From my limited experience opening the iMac, you risk inserting the cards or other tools to far and cutting antenna or camera wires using generic tools such as you mentioned.

The “pizza cutter” iMac wheel is small enough that you don’t have the same risk (although you should be careful near the camera area.)

Reactions: Alvin777

Apple Crusader

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Just to close the loop, I purchased the strips from eBay‘s technic-lee, as mentioned by the post above. Much better than the owc strips, and is still working fine A few weeks after installation.
Shame on OWC for providing such sub-par products. I've trusted them in the past, but honestly, I don't believe I'm purchasing anymore Apple devices after their desire to spy on people has been reveals.

Remember folks: Just because you have nothing to hide doesn't mean you shouldn't give up your privacy. There is a quote:

“Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

Herwr

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
For me I unfortunately found this thread too late...

I bought an OWC kit (after seeing it recommended elsewhere), to upgrade my late-2015 27" iMac SSD and use their strips to reattach the screen after install.

I was 'very' careful and have a lot of experience repairing computers and electronics so know the value of not rushing and following the directions carefully.

5 months after the install, I am in total horror when the screen detached overnight and fell onto my desk smashing the glass and ripping the cables out. I now have a dead computer all because of their crap product.

To make matters worse I have over $2000 Worth audio plugins locked to the computer that I can no longer access unless I can release the licenses on that machine, which no longer powers up, so I can't.

I would strongly advise NOT to use these OWC strips - I just wish there was a way to claim compensation from OWC.

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003

I bought an OWC kit (after seeing it recommended elsewhere), to upgrade my late-2015 27" iMac SSD and use their strips to reattach the screen after install.

I was 'very' careful and have a lot of experience repairing computers and electronics so know the value of not rushing and following the directions carefully.

5 months after the install, I am in total horror when the screen detached overnight and fell onto my desk smashing the glass and ripping the cables out. I now have a dead computer all because of their crap product.

To make matters worse I have over $2000 Worth audio plugins locked to the computer that I can no longer access unless I can release the licenses on that machine, which no longer powers up, so I can't.

I would strongly advise NOT to use these OWC strips - I just wish there was a way to claim compensation from OWC.

Hi. That's so unfortunate. I ordered the strips from a well known OEM (also used by Snazzy Labs). When the time comes, to for my DIY upgrade, although it's been a month since I got all the parts I needs, including the strips, I still have to arrange my stuff so it' conducive to repairing things and it's not cluttered with other projects.

I hope someone invent a magnet strips for these glued monitors, that's strong enough to hold it but easily removable, just like the old Intel iMacs.

God bless, Revelation 21:4

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains

I had a very similar experience with a 2TB SSD kit I purchased from OWC earlier this year, on my 2019 27" iMac.

Despite my display also falling off after a short amount of time, ripping off a connector, and shattering the screen, OWC paid for it to be shipped to them, and replaced the display for free (thankfully they determined the detachment was due to faulty adhesive, not my install). Sadly, this almost happened a second time post-OWC repair, so I took my iMac to a local AASP to replace the adhesive with actual OEM strips. Good since then.

I detailed the whole mess here with photos. Lesson learned: OWC uses crappy adhesive for their kits.

All that said, have you tried contacting OWC at all? They should be able to help you. Those kits have warranties.

Weaver3D61

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
Hi Guys!
Well I'm in this group for the same reason. I successfully upgraded my iMac back in 2019 after a few months of having it. Even though I was successful with the upgrade I was not quite centered with reinstalling the screen by a hair to the left. I figured I'd just live with it, but upon moving it one day that slight off center position almost gave me a nasty cut. So a few weeks ago I ordered another kit from iFixIt and began to run the cutter around the edge. It was then I noticed how hard it was to even get started, but I began making my way around it. Until CRACK!

No I have a chip 3 inches from the left corner, It still works but now I have to decide, buy a new one or get the better strips and just live with it until I purchase a whole newer iMac? I'm thinking of finding a used one just for parts.

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003
Hi Guys!
Well I'm in this group for the same reason. I successfully upgraded my iMac back in 2019 after a few months of having it. Even though I was successful with the upgrade I was not quite centered with reinstalling the screen by a hair to the left. I figured I'd just live with it, but upon moving it one day that slight off center position almost gave me a nasty cut. So a few weeks ago I ordered another kit from iFixIt and began to run the cutter around the edge. It was then I noticed how hard it was to even get started, but I began making my way around it. Until CRACK!

No I have a chip 3 inches from the left corner, It still works but now I have to decide, buy a new one or get the better strips and just live with it until I purchase a whole newer iMac? I'm thinking of finding a used one just for parts.
Hi. If the crack is not crucial to your work or won't get in the way that much, best not to risk it, patience is a great virtue then it's best to sell or trade-in at the Apple store with the upcoming  Silicon M2. I'd love to switch to the  Silicon M2 or whatever's after  M1. I have a cracked iMac which is my 2nd monitor (so, 27" 2K + 27" 5K = 54" 7K) it has a crack, it was sad at first but it's not that noticeable once you've gotten used to it. I have yet to do my SSD mod, I've had it for months- maybe I'm a bit anxious but I'll do it this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

david95966

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
Here is what I think I know: I need the strips and torx and pizza wheel, as well as the modules, so I need the kit. The Ifixit kit is more than I wanted to pay. The Macsales (OWC) cost less but the strips are bad. I'm assuming the Macsales/OWC modules are fine. The Macsales/OWC Kit is $15 more than the modules themselves, so not a bad price for the kit. The Ebay strips are $11.50.

Here are my questions: Does it make sense to buy the Macsales/OWC kit and the Ebay strips for the best of both worlds? That would be cheaper than Ifixit kit and better than Macsales/OWC's strips. Is there a better cheaper option? I can't seem to find anything cheaper a-la-cart. Is there a better option than this? Thanks

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I've opened up two of my own slim iMacs now, a 2013 27" and a 2014 21". I'm a middle school Robotics and Coding teacher that used to do computer repair for a living. Both iMac screens were reattached using iFixit strips. Both openings were simple enough using iFixit's pizza cutter, which I got with the strips that I ordered from them. The upgrades and cleanings went smoothly, and now weeks on both iMacs are fine. I've been checking their screens every few days since the repairs, and both are holding on very solidly. When in doubt, go the iFixit route. They sell solid parts and I'm always game to support them with their right to repair fight :)

david95966

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
I hope this is not too far off topic, but as long as I'm upgrading the RAM, with a one-time screen removal, wouldn't it make sense to upgrade the mechanical hard drive to an SSD? Its hard to know what is slowing down my machine at times, RAM or hard drive.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I hope this is not too far off topic, but as long as I'm upgrading the RAM, with a one-time screen removal, wouldn't it make sense to upgrade the mechanical hard drive to an SSD? Its hard to know what is slowing down my machine at times, RAM or hard drive.
I think I would make perfect sense to do both at the same time.

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. I used Activity Monitor to check, where the bottleneck occurs with the data, when the "beach ball" appears. I concluded it was the storage. I bought four 2TB SATA SSDs on sale (it was just US$72 free shipping, instead of US$897. I should've ordered one more another 2TB NVME and a Thunderbolt NVME enclosure while they were on sale but it remains to be seen if God wills the SSDs are legit and flawless- I did inquire around and they say it is. It's a kind of business model to attract people. They're regular price is actually more expensive than the cheapest seller of the same item.).

Rickyandika

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
Just to close the loop, I purchased the strips from eBay‘s technic-lee, as mentioned by the post above. Much better than the owc strips, and is still working fine A few weeks after installation.
Hi, any updates regarding the strips? does tecknic-lee strips still works until now? And are they really real applemparts? Thanks

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Hi, any updates regarding the strips? does tecknic-lee strips still works until now? And are they really real applemparts? Thanks
I gave the computer to my brother, so far the screen hasn't fallen off yet.

I assume they were OEM, but can't vouch for them myself as I didn't have known OEM to compare side by side. All I can say is that they appeared to work just like apple parts (much different from the OWC strips.)

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. I also bought the technic-lee strips for the 5K iMac. It's the one Apple uses itself but it's best to clean the old adhesive withm preferably 99.99% alcohol (although it's not that dangerous use mask & gloves- check Projectt Farm Youtuber's channel for gloves review- latex double to triple layer with adhesive sealant in between is my choice). I'll tape the corner with Kapton ta[e so it look good but will secure it even more until a 2 weeks I know it proven to hold.

Have a blessed week.

Last edited:

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003
I gave the computer to my brother, so far the screen hasn't fallen off yet.

I assume they were OEM, but can't vouch for them myself as I didn't have known OEM to compare side by side. All I can say is that they appeared to work just like apple parts (much different from the OWC strips.)
Hello. I bought the strip from tecknic-lee also but I haven't opened it for about 1.5 years now (it's been sealed in a cool, dark place on one of my shelves), does anyone know if the adhesive has expired and if it's still good to use and won't fall off? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
I actually have the same question about shelf life. I have just obtained two 2017 iMacs both working perfectly fine, but want to plan for future repairs should they fail in the next few years.

My guess is that, like any other VHB tapes, they are probably only good for about 24 months after manufacture. I wonder if the Apple tapes have an expiration date on them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.