Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
I've looked at newegg and OWC for 2x2GB MBP (Santa Rosa) ram and it seems like OWC has the best price going right now at $199.99, not to mention a lifetime warranty on the sticks?

Anyone know of a better deal? I'm wanting to buy lol. With the CDN exchange rate so strong right now it makes it virtually the same price!

alljunks

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
I've looked at newegg and OWC for 2x2GB MBP (Santa Rosa) ram and it seems like OWC has the best price going right now at $199.99, not to mention a lifetime warranty on the sticks?

Anyone know of a better deal? I'm wanting to buy lol. With the CDN exchange rate so strong right now it makes it virtually the same price!

all memory have lifetime warranty from MFG...........

xp2mac07

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks for the heads up on the Frys RAM deal. I just ordered it myself. $30 rebate ends today.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
all memory have lifetime warranty from MFG...........

Most memory have lifetime warranty from MFG... but read the fine print before buying. The seller may not pass on the warranty, it may be used, B-stock or pulls, etc. For example, Hynix RAM in an Apple Mac has only the one year warranty of the Mac it came in. If you are sold a 'pull' from a Mac, you have no warranty other than what the seller will give you.

Also, read the fine print about who and where you get your warranty replacement from. If you buy memory from a reseller, and they say "after 30 days, deal with the manufacturer for warranty" - then it's up to you to chase down warranty replacement from the manufacturer. Assuming you know who and where the manufacturer is, and assuming that the manufacturer will deal directly with the end user (some of them will just send you back to the seller for service).

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Is this RAM worth the price? Is OCZ decent? Will it work in the 17" 2.4ghz MBP? I don't want to buy RAM that is no good. Should I just do it for $150? What do you think?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Is this RAM worth the price? Is OCZ decent? Will it work in the 17" 2.4ghz MBP? I don't want to buy RAM that is no good. Should I just do it for $150? What do you think?

The OCZ is OK RAM. There have been reports of people receiving non-working modules, but that may be just the normal 1 - 2% incidence of DOA failures.

Will it work? Well, the DDR2-667 OCZ SODIMMs for Apple are the right type. You have about a 96% chance that 2 modules will work.

If you want Mac support and advice etc and no mail in rebate hassles, you'd need to spend a bit more to go with one of the Mac-friendly resellers like OWC or DMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.