Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodeoLinebacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Since I installed MacOS Sonoma, my OWC Mercury Pro optical drive (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) can no longer mount any discs. I've tried this with both an M1 iMac and the latest Macbook Pro, both on Sonoma 14.1.2. OWC has no idea why this is happening and LG (the drive manufacturer) is equally clueless. I've looked in the security settings but can't find anything pertaining to this drive, which shows up on the system report on the USB list.

Behavior: Drive opens, disc is inserted, drive closes, tries to spin up the disc several times then finally gives up and ejects it. Besides trying this drive on two different machines, I've tried multiple discs but nothing works. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Are you using a USB-A > USB-C adapter? You should try a different adapter.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have 3 different Macs, running Sonoma, and each have internal optical drives.
None function. There's no response when inserting a CD/DVD disc, and System Information does not show that an optical drive is available.
Well, yes, those 3 are using Sonoma with an OCLP install, but all other hardware appears to be ready to use.
I have read that there is no software support in Sonoma for optical drives.
Can anyone say that is incorrect (I hope...)?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I'm using an Asus BW-16D1X-U Optical Drive with my 7,1 NcMP and no issues. The drive is recognized and I can burn, download from and play CD, DVD, DVD DL, and BD. No issues.

Do you folks have the CDs & DVDs page in System Settings?

TinyGrab Screen Shot 12-3-23, 9.14.42 PM.png

Lou

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I am late to this discussion, but I'm having this exact problem with OWC BluRay drive. It does show in System Properties for USB3 bus but that's it. 3 different Macs.

I do see CDs & DVDs settings (when the drive is powered up and connected), none are set to Ignore, yet nothing happens.

Sent a message to OWC, will report what they tell me.

I connected to Windows 11 system, it recognized the drive, but didn't detect that there was a disk in there. I will have to try that again, surely that should work?

My Sony CD/DVD burner external drive works as expected.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
OWC is looking at it (again it seems).

The menu bar widget (Show eject in menu bar) works.

There must be some logging associated with connecting/disconnecting, open/close, but I have not been able to discover any.

Last edited:

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Are you all still having issues with this or does it come and go with Sonoma? This is very concerning to me if I got a new Mac and can't even read or burn discs with LG burners and OWC.

not really.
merely expressing surprise at ongoing usage of outdated tech is all …
Optical media is more stable than any other digital storage medium for long term self storage and is also WORM for write-once discs, so no one can just write over the precious data you are storing.
This outdated tech has not been superseded by anything yet. If so, I would love to know about it.

Also, movies still have the highest quality and look the best from disc. Plus, no Internet, no problem.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
It’s not a general USB optical drive support problem. My long discontinued LG GP30 slim, portable DVDRW drive seems to work fine.

System-Info_USB-DVDRW.png System-Info_USB-DVDRW_w_DVD-media.png System-Info_Disc-Burning.png
DVD Player launched immediately with no playback issues.

P.S. As fragile as they are in their own way, I prefer the tray loading drives. The insert/eject disc mechanism on every slot loading drive has eventually failed in my devices.

Reactions: MacHeritage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.