Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
After calibrating the battery and firing up the Coconut Battery app, it tells me that the battery was manufactured on 30th March 2015, and my MBP was manufactured on 25th May 2015!!!
Well, its not made in 30th March 2015. That is an error with how the date is recorded in aftermarket batteries and how its read by Coconut in certain OS versions. I had the same problem, and I think exact same date displayed, with my aftermarket battery, Coconut and Big Sur. With older OS versions it shows more logical manufacturing date.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We have 2 2014s and 1 2015. I had my 2014 and 2015 batteries replaced in 2021 by Apple and they are fine. My son's 2014 had the battery replaced two weeks ago by a local shop. Apple didn't have kits for the Retina MBPs anywhere in the US. It is possible that they don't service these anymore. At any rate, he hasn't complained about the battery so I assume that it is fine.

The shop does high-volume Mac and PC repairs and they've been around for 20 years. I had never heard of the battery brand before but he's hoping for the best.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Did anyone ever use the 2-Power laptop batteries?

How do they compare to the usual suspects, Newer Tech, iFix etc?

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Is it just me or is it not very advantageous to keep using a MBP from 2011, which is no longer supported by Apple, and is not capable of running even somewhat recent software? I have a Mac IIci but I have no intention of having it be my primary computer.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Is it just me or is it not very advantageous to keep using a MBP from 2011, which is no longer supported by Apple, and is not capable of running even somewhat recent software? I have a Mac IIci but I have no intention of having it be my primary computer.

It’s just you in this thread of people happy with the machine and trying to breathe some life into it.

Mine still does everything I need it to.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

I'm a very demanding user and my two laptops are a 16" M1 Pro MBP and a 2009 Unibody MBP. I only use my 2009 for limited uses though, but it has its place. I use it run a couple of software packages that won't run on my M1 and I have a few other limited uses for it.

The only thing keeping me from using it more is the screen. I spend too much of my day staring at screens and the eye fatigue I get from staring at lower res screens isn't worth it.

edtin24

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
My new (1.5 years old) replacement battery from Amazon is coming up as service battery. It really is discharging quickly and I just attributed it to these machines not managing power well.

So maybe I got what I paid for. I got it off Amazon from one of the many options. Not the cheapest in go the options but not the most. I remember laboring over the choice and reading reviews. I thought I made a good choice.

So maybe it's time to try the OWC NuPower battery for $104 that is often recommended here? That said, I believe Apple will replace it for $129. I can surely handle it, but why not go with Apple for $25 more. Does Apple "condition" it the way OWC reccomends?
wow didn't know you could get a battery off Amazon . Good to know

Reactions: LarryJoe33

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I'm going to get the 2-Power. They're not Amazon cheap, its about £70GBP. The last OEM I was able to find was from 2019 and it lasted a few months, before it started dropping from 25% straight to 7%. Hugely disappointing. Nothing ever beats the original fitted battery, not that it ever gave me the advertised (at the time) 10 hours

rocknrotty

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2006
I vote for OWC/MACSALES been using these batteries for many years never had an issue. Larry's store as far as I know was the first real store that supported the Mac platform. He always has the most cutting edge things for upgrading Macs. My go to store.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I vote for OWC/MACSALES been using these batteries for many years never had an issue. Larry's store as far as I know was the first real store that supported the Mac platform. He always has the most cutting edge things for upgrading Macs. My go to store.
Both US based yeh?

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
Very interesting thread…

Less than three years ago, I had the batteries replaced by Apple in my two 2015 MacBook Pros. (13” & 15”) $200 apiece, but I got new trackpads and keyboards, which I thought was a decent deal. Both had batteries swollen into nice looking pillows. (Apple’s price for replacement keyboards was significantly higher than that, which I found amusing, since it’s the exact same modification. The keyboard, trackpad, battery, and bottom case are all replaced as a single unit, regardless.)

Back then, I wondered whether keeping a MacBook plugged in 24/7 was bad for the batteries. I asked several “Geniuses”, even at different Apple Stores, and checked Apple’s website. Even asked phone support a couple different times to get more info. All agreed it would be no problem, and that keeping them plugged in wasn’t why my batteries had turned into balloons.

Now I’m back to square one. All the batteries are swollen into nice, comfy looking pillows again. This time, I did extensive research of Li-ion batteries specifically. (Not just MacBooks as before.) Discovered keeping them fully charged is very bad, and the longer they remain in that state, the more damage occurs. All research, over many years, have reached the same conclusions. Keeping them near 50% charged is ideal. Avoid going over 80% or much below ~40% if possible. This is why Apple products supposedly learn your habits, and charge to 80% until your patterns of use show you will need them soon, then they charge to 100%. At least that is according to Apple.

The Li-ion battery advice is hardly the only bad information I’ve gotten from Apple. Other experiences have included so much misinformation (and occasional total BS) that I’ve essentially given up asking them anything. Better off doing your own research than trusting Apple’s official statements. (Such a difference from when Steve Jobs ran the show–sigh.) This isn’t to say all Apple employees stick to the company line, but those who don’t soon find themselves unemployed.

One tip for anyone who, like me, uses their MacBook as a desktop computer; Plugged in 24/7. Get yourself a free little program called Charge Limiter, and set it to 50%. Works great so far for me! If the experts and their research are correct, I may be good for many years to come. The only reason I use a battery at all is because the models I own won’t even boot without a battery. I tried! I even tried disconnecting the batteries from the circuitboard, and plugging the circuitboard in, hoping to trick the computer. Nope!

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Kim

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Very interesting thread…

Less than three years ago, I had the batteries replaced by Apple in my two 2015 MacBook Pros. (13” & 15”) $200 apiece, but I got new trackpads and keyboards, which I thought was a decent deal. Both had batteries swollen into nice looking pillows. (Apple’s price for replacement keyboards was significantly higher than that, which I found amusing, since it’s the exact same modification. The keyboard, trackpad, battery, and bottom case are all replaced as a single unit, regardless.)

Back then, I wondered whether keeping a MacBook plugged in 24/7 was bad for the batteries. I asked several “Geniuses”, even at different Apple Stores, and checked Apple’s website. Even asked phone support a couple different times to get more info. All agreed it would be no problem, and that keeping them plugged in wasn’t why my batteries had turned into balloons.

Now I’m back to square one. All the batteries are swollen into nice, comfy looking pillows again. This time, I did extensive research of Li-ion batteries specifically. (Not just MacBooks as before.) Discovered keeping them fully charged is very bad, and the longer they remain in that state, the more damage occurs. All research, over many years, have reached the same conclusions. Keeping them near 50% charged is ideal. Avoid going over 80% or much below ~40% if possible. This is why Apple products supposedly learn your habits, and charge to 80% until your patterns of use show you will need them soon, then they charge to 100%. At least that is according to Apple.

The Li-ion battery advice is hardly the only bad information I’ve gotten from Apple. Other experiences have included so much misinformation (and occasional total BS) that I’ve essentially given up asking them anything. Better off doing your own research than trusting Apple’s official statements. (Such a difference from when Steve Jobs ran the show–sigh.) This isn’t to say all Apple employees stick to the company line, but those who don’t soon find themselves unemployed.

One tip for anyone who, like me, uses their MacBook as a desktop computer; Plugged in 24/7. Get yourself a free little program called Charge Limiter, and set it to 50%. Works great so far for me! If the experts and their research are correct, I may be good for many years to come. The only reason I use a battery at all is because the models I own won’t even boot without a battery. I tried! I even tried disconnecting the batteries from the circuitboard, and plugging the circuitboard in, hoping to trick the computer. Nope!
Try replacing the batteries yourself, I do my own and it’s not very hard. Especially when they swell up, they are easier to pull off the bottom case in this state.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For YEARS in this forum, I've been warning MacBook owners that it's not such a good idea to leave the unit plugged into the charger all the time.

Post 313 above is yet another example as to why not to do this...

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Even 3 years ago I'm surprised they did them, and didn't refer to them as 'vintage' like they did with my 2011 MBP several years ago and wouldn't touch it. The 2015 is one you can still unscrew yourself and swap them out, no?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Even 3 years ago I'm surprised they did them, and didn't refer to them as 'vintage' like they did with my 2011 MBP several years ago and wouldn't touch it. The 2015 is one you can still unscrew yourself and swap them out, no?
No. The battery is glued to the top case so when Apple replace the battery you get a whole new top case & keyboard. I had the one in my 15" 2015 MBP replaced by Apple in December 2022 as battery life was down to 79%. Over a year on I doubt that Apple have any new batteries left for 2015 MBPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Ahh, OK, I misunderstood, thanks. I've had 2 OEM and neither have been brilliant, now using 3rd party which isn't massively better, but we'll see

No. The battery is glued to the to-case so when Apple replace the battery you get a whole new top case & keyboard. I had the one in my 15" 2015 MBP replaced by Apple in December 2022 as battery life was down to 79%. Over a year on I doubt that Apple have any new batteries left for 2015 MBPs.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Ahh, OK, I misunderstood, thanks. I've had 2 OEM and neither have been brilliant, now using 3rd party which isn't massively better, but we'll see

I’ve found a few OEM batteries on eBay for my obsolete machine, my experience is similar. They don’t last any longer than the many aftermarket options on Amazon but cost double. I’ve just accepted that I’ll buy a new aftermarket one every few years.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I’ve found a few OEM batteries on eBay for my obsolete machine, my experience is similar. They don’t last any longer than the many aftermarket options on Amazon but cost double. I’ve just accepted that I’ll buy a new aftermarket one every few years.

The very fact Apple referred to my MBP not 3 or 4 years after new, as 'vintage' and therefore we don't carry them anymore, is a bit crap. They should carry batteries for fitting or sale for twice that period. Mine were a dead ringer for the original and Coconut confirmed it was, so I know they were original, but sadly the company I got them from doesn't supply them anymore, and use something called Huarigor, who I've never heard of. But the OEM wasn't great and had been laying around a while. So it's now done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.