Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Richmond, VA
I just ordered a 4gb ram kit from OWC (Other World Computing) for my MBP. I paid 200 bucks with overnight shipping included. Has anyone upgraded to the 4gb kit for the new macbooks. If so can you give me some feedback. Thanks. :)

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Got the same....

I just ordered a 4gb ram kit from OWC (Other World Computing) for my MBP. I paid 200 bucks with overnight shipping included. Has anyone upgraded to the 4gb kit for the new macbooks. If so can you give me some feedback. Thanks. :)

Got the Same Kit about two (2) weeks ago... Paid $210.00 plus shipping to Canada; took about 5 days... IT WORKS GREAT!! :D

spjonesi

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Currently rocking 4gb ram from OWC on my 2.4 SR w/ a 160gb 7200rpm drive.

I run parallels so that I can program in SAS, I had vista ultimate (which won't run SAS, ugh!) and switched to XP which works great with 4gb in parallels. I can't really tell a difference in what I do for XP via Boot Camp or Parallels. No more booting into windows only. 4gb pwnz j00.

spjoneSi

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Did I read it right? Apple is charging $700 for the same 4 GB?

vtfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Richmond, VA
Yeah apple must make a lot of money on RAM.

At least when people buy it from them. The other world computing ram was one of the best prices I could find. It also has a lifetime warranty and it's matched pairs. I run vmware with XP no problem but with Vista Business you can tell a difference. I think the 4gb of ram will take care of it. :D

vtfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Richmond, VA
WOW, very fast delivery and works great

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. As I said in the first post, I ordered this kit yesterday. This morning it arrived at 9AM. I installed it and it works perfectly. From this experience I highly recommend Other World Computing. I'll be selling the 2 x 1GB chips on ebay this week. ebayid: mkristen32iw

vtfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Richmond, VA
Very noticable performace increase

How is the performance,increase, in terms of your regular tasks?

Well, right now I'm running the following:

VMWARE with XP Pro virtual machine - Installing Office 2003 as we "speak"
Mac Mail
Performance Monitor
Adium instant messaging program
Firefox with streaming stock quotes from Schwab and Scottrade
Itunes (Audioslave is currently playing)

No delay in switching from program to program. I was using over 2gb of RAM at one point. I think the upgrade was worth it for sure.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Well, right now I'm running the following:

VMWARE with XP Pro virtual machine - Installing Office 2003 as we "speak"
Mac Mail
Performance Monitor
Adium instant messaging program
Firefox with streaming stock quotes from Schwab and Scottrade
Itunes (Audioslave is currently playing)

No delay in switching from program to program. I was using over 2gb of RAM at one point. I think the upgrade was worth it for sure.

Hmmm... I was curious about Fusion! I'd love to allocate more RAM to my XP VM and still have enough kicking around for OSX :)

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Apple isn't as bad as HP

Has anyone checked the price that HP charges for upgrading their color laser printers' ram??!?!

I recently bought an HP 3800 and HP's price for a 512 meg ram stick is somewhere around $700.

I found it third-party for 1/10 of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.