Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countershading

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I ordered a set of 3x 16GB RAM modules from OWC and asked in advance explicitly whether it would work in my 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro 4.1 (2x 2.66Ghz), a machine I had ordered directly from Apple the day it came out and never upgraded since. All original, no hacks.

OWC said yes.

Yet neither all 3 at once nor just one in the 1st socket worked. They do get warm though and seem placed properly.

Before I had tried two other brands of 1066Mhz server RAM that the ebay sellers insisted would work but also didn’t. So I wanted to be safe and chose OWC.

This machine does work with the 3x 2GB RAM it shipped with.
So the Mac Pro seems fine. Socket 1,2,3 work well.

The OWC RAM does work in my 2010 Mac Pro 5.1.
So the RAM seems fine too.

They just don’t work together.

When turning on the machine, the screen stays black and the power light blinks immediately,

I sent the set of 3 sticks back to OWC and they confirmed it works in a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro, they say they tried them again to verify.

Q:
What could be the issue and would this be caused by the Nehalem processors, therefore not be a problem anymore, if I replace them with later processors?

Note:
One thing I noticed is that the official requirement is that the RAM has 1066Mhz and the sales page as well as the order confirmation email say so but on the actual RAM sticks it says OWC1333D3MPE16G containing the number 1333 and not 1066. I asked them about it and they said it basically means nothing.

I already did the PRAM Reset at boot (Opt+Cmd+P+R) with the original compatible and the OWC non-compatible RAM.

I did not mix and match or anything like that. Three identical RAM units only in socket 1,2,3.

To sum up:
The OWC RAM does work in my other machine.
Some RAM works in this machine, some other 1066Mhz RAM that is supposed to, also doesn’t work in this machine.

OWC item description:
48.0GB OWC Matched Set (3x 16GB) PC-8500 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM Modules for Mac Pro Early 2009 & Late 2010 'Nehalem' & 'Westmere' systems & Early 2009 Xserve.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
What exact model of CPU do you have?

In Terminal type:
Code:
sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Memory compatibility depends on three things:
  1. Memory controller support
  2. Firmware support
  3. OS support
All Nehalem and Westmere support the same types of RAM, with the basic difference being the speed that the memory controller works, 800/1066/1333MHz - the memory controller speed don't make difference with the RAM if the DIMM SPD has the 3 configurations, most memory have.

Firmware support is probably where you have a problem, since MP4,1 and early MP5,1 firmwares don't have the same memory compatibility of current MP5,1 firmware. Apple continuously improved memory compatibility support since MP51.007F.B03.

OS support is another problem but not for your case and I'm only mentioning for other people. Current MP5,1 firmware supports 32GB DIMMs but macOS not. If you use recent Windows 10 you can use 32GB DIMMs.

Reactions: countershading

countershading

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
What exact model of CPU do you have?
Intel Xeon X5550 @ 2.67GHz
[doublepost=1561393803][/doublepost]

Firmware support is probably where you have a problem, since MP4,1 and early MP5,1 firmwares don't have the same memory compatibility of current MP5,1 firmware. Apple continuously improved memory compatibility support since MP51.007F.B03.…
So Firmware update should fix it?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Intel Xeon X5550 @ 2.67GHz

Please report BootROM on both machines.

Regardless of modules, your CPU will limit to 1066 speed. SOME modules do not report correctly, but that does depend on vendor.

OWC RAM modules are often used/refurbs sold as new, so you can also double-check compatibility with the exact models you were issued. Search this forum for the part number and see this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...memory-upgrade-compatibility-and-faq.2099103/

Also see this chart from Kingston for speed breakdowns by CPU for the 55XX series Xeon's:
https://media.kingston.com/images/branded/MKF_102_Nahalem_Ref.pdf

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I ordered a set of 3x 16GB RAM modules from OWC and asked in advance explicitly whether it would work in my 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro 4.1 (2x 2.66Ghz), a machine I had ordered directly from Apple the day it came out and never upgraded since. All original, no hacks.

I ordered 3x 8GB from OWC some time back for a 2009 Mac pro upgraded from 4,1 to 5,1, and they were flakey as all hell. Called OWC and they suggested using an eraser to clean the contacts. Well, that got the 3rd one to show up, but they still caused various crashes... usually on boot.

Send them back. Whatever they are sending out is crap.

I ended up getting 4x 16GB 1333 from eBay from a seller that specializes in Mac Pro memory. They only ship Samsung, Hynix and Micron that are trouble free. Mine ended up being Samsung.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
countershading

Are you using both your original and new RAM modules together ? If so, try using the new ones only.

peterc18st

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2015
I ordered 3x 8GB from OWC some time back for a 2009 Mac pro upgraded from 4,1 to 5,1, and they were flakey as all hell. Called OWC and they suggested using an eraser to clean the contacts. Well, that got the 3rd one to show up, but they still caused various crashes... usually on boot.

Send them back. Whatever they are sending out is crap.

I ended up getting 4x 16GB 1333 from eBay from a seller that specializes in Mac Pro memory. They only ship Samsung, Hynix and Micron that are trouble free. Mine ended up being Samsung.
I only trust OWC memory for my macs. I had some bad experiences with other vendors stating Mac supported and it was a nightmare. I recently purchased 96GBs for my 5,1 without issue. I also have a 2,1 that had bad ram modules that failed after 10 years and OWC replaced it for free with their lifetime warranty. Just pointing out differences in experiences.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I only trust OWC memory for my macs. I had some bad experiences with other vendors stating Mac supported and it was a nightmare. I recently purchased 96GBs for my 5,1 without issue. I also have a 2,1 that had bad ram modules that failed after 10 years and OWC replaced it for free with their lifetime warranty. Just pointing out differences in experiences.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of OWC stuff. For the longest time we only ordered Mac memory from either OWC or kingston. There is just something weird with the 2009/2010 memory they shipped lately.

countershading

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
…I ended up getting 4x 16GB 1333 from eBay from a seller that specializes in Mac Pro memory. They only ship Samsung, Hynix and Micron that are trouble free. Mine ended up being Samsung.
Thanks, I’ll look into the other brands. The OWC modules do work in my other Mac Pro (5.1 with latest Firmware), and two other brands also didn’t work in this machine, so I doubt the RAM modules are at fault. I’ll go through the Firmware update process and report back.
Are you using both your original and new RAM modules together?…
I did not mix and match or anything like that. Three identical RAM units only in socket 1,2,3.

peterc18st

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2015
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of OWC stuff. For the longest time we only ordered Mac memory from either OWC or kingston. There is just something weird with the 2009/2010 memory they shipped lately.
May I ask what is weird? I just purchased a 48GB kit then they dropped the prices so I did a refund for the 96GB kit and I haven't run into any problems since both installs. Just curious. Could I have gotten a better price on Ebay yeah but I wanted a warranty to go along with my ram.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
May I ask what is weird?

The fact they are selling used and/or refurbished RAM modules as "BRAND NEW" items, often not even matching sticks when ordered in large quantities. It's fine if you want a warranty (don't blame you), but it is alarming and bad business at the price premium they are charging for incorrectly labeled products.

Reactions: h9826790

peterc18st

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2015
The fact they are selling used and/or refurbished RAM modules as "BRAND NEW" items, often not even matching sticks when ordered in large quantities. It's fine if you want a warranty (don't blame you), but it is alarming and bad business at the price premium they are charging for incorrectly labeled products.
That isn't weird, that's bad business. How did you know the ram was used and not new? You have me questioning my purchase.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
How did you know the ram was used and not new?

Search this forum, it's been widely reported and warned against.

About three years ago had a client who ordered eight modules for four MP4,1/MP5,1 machines (32 sticks total) without my recommendation. It was difficult to even get two complete sets of matching sticks from the assortment they sent. Physically they simply looked different and would guess at least six varieties of modules were provided. If you remove their OWC sticker, the warranty is invalid so could not document the modules they provided, but it was a mix of manufacturers. Also difficult to 100% "prove" when they cover exact part numbers with their sticker, so even same manufacturers may be different parts/models/specs. Finally convinced the client to return the order and purchase elsewhere.

Samsung & Hynix modules (generally) work great. Some bigger business have an easier time getting Kingston modules. Had Kingston in my personal machine for awhile and one module "went" and was promptly replaced by Kingston once I contacted them. Currently have Samsung in my MP5,1 and have reported the exact modules on this forum previously.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Before I had tried two other brands of 1066Mhz server RAM that the ebay sellers insisted would work but also didn’t. So I wanted to be safe and chose OWC.
What is interesting for the 2009 they offer:
48.0GB OWC Memory Upgrade Kit
3 x 16.0GB PC8500 DDR3 ECC-Registered 1066MHz 240 Pin
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/85MP3S9M048K/
And for the 2010:
48.0GB OWC Memory Upgrade Kit
3 x 16.0GB PC10600 DDR3 ECC-R 1333MHz 240 Pin
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/1333D3X9M048/
Somebody from sales screwed up when you ordered them...

kazkus

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
The OWC RAM does work in my 2010 Mac Pro 5.1.
So the RAM seems fine too.
Since it works in 2010 MacPro5,1, you may want to check their Manufacturer, Part Number, and Serial Number.
>AboutThisMac>SystemReport>Hardware>Memory>Memory Slots:

About three years ago had a client who ordered eight modules for four MP4,1/MP5,1 machines (32 sticks total) without my recommendation. It was difficult to even get two complete sets of matching sticks from the assortment they sent. Physically they simply looked different and would guess at least six varieties of modules were provided. If you remove their OWC sticker, the warranty is invalid so could not document the modules they provided, but it was a mix of manufacturers. Also difficult to 100% "prove" when they cover exact part numbers with their sticker, so even same manufacturers may be different parts/models/specs. Finally convinced the client to return the order and purchase elsewhere.
I think you could have proved Manufacturer, Part Number, and Serial Number of OWC sticks with macOS System Report (or MemTest86, Linux, or Windows).

When I had a 5,1 I bought cheap Samsung memory of the correct specs pulled from servers on eBay and never had a problem.
Usually, I purchase much cheaper memory modules pulled from servers on eBay for MacPro5,1, and test them by myself with MemTest86.
If MemTest86 detects an error, even ECC correctable error on the particular bit, eBay shop should send another one.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Usually, I purchase much cheaper memory modules pulled from servers on eBay for MacPro5,1, and test them by myself with MemTest86.
If MemTest86 detects an error, even ECC correctable error on the particular bit, eBay shop should send another one.

That was the odd bit. The last batch I tried from OWC passed hours of Memtest, but still crashed the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.