Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Just want to see if anyone ran in to this issue with OWC.

A week ago I ordered a HomePod from them at a discounted price. Unfortunately, only tonight I figured out that the unit they sent me doesn't match the invoice.
The invoice they sent me is for a New HomePod and the Home App states I have a refurbished unit. Even the serial numbers do not much on invoice vs HomePod it self.

I filled an RMA with OWC tonight, so im waiting for response from them.

Reactions: 0279317

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020

Thats how I found out, after reading 2 different posts. So I wanted to get an opinion from Macrumors forum as well.
Just a shame, that OWC is pulling bait and switch.

And I missed out on BestBuy discount that ended last night at midnight.
Home Pod was in the cart on Best Buy website. Went to get my CC, came back, clicked check out and the price went back up to $299.

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Quick Update;

Still waiting on RMA response. I called OWC and they are working on it.

I also called Apple and gave them the serial # of my HomePod, Apple SCR told that the unit has No Warranty, which tells me that the unit OWC sold me is a refurb.

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020
So OWC has sent me a return label and I sent the unit back. Waiting on the refund.

Reactions: Itinj24

aaron77

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm really wishing I saw this before I ordered one.

Mine arrived yesterday. It wasn't in the initial setup mode when I plugged it in and I had to perform a reset on it to get started setting it up, so I guessed at the time that it's a returned/refurbed unit. Looking closer at the box now confirms that it is an "As-is" unit.

But the big issue I have is they sent me a Canadian model. (MQHW2C/A) The box shows the US model number as shown on the site and in my invoice, and even has the correct serial number so it appears to be the right box for this particular unit.

I called OWC and they're going to refund me, but are refusing to cover the return shipping. Their response was "we don't actually send the item - Apple ships them for us, so we have no control over what you receive". So now I'm going to be out of pocket because they made promises ("New MQHW2LL/A") that they apparently can't follow through on.

Anyone have any luck with them covering the return shipping?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm really wishing I saw this before I ordered one.

Mine arrived yesterday. It wasn't in the initial setup mode when I plugged it in and I had to perform a reset on it to get started setting it up, so I guessed at the time that it's a returned/refurbed unit. Looking closer at the box now confirms that it is an "As-is" unit.

But the big issue I have is they sent me a Canadian model. (MQHW2C/A) The box shows the US model number as shown on the site and in my invoice, and even has the correct serial number so it appears to be the right box for this particular unit.

I called OWC and they're going to refund me, but are refusing to cover the return shipping. Their response was "we don't actually send the item - Apple ships them for us, so we have no control over what you receive". So now I'm going to be out of pocket because they made promises ("New MQHW2LL/A") that they apparently can't follow through on.

Did you use a credit card? If so, dispute the charge until OWC offers a full refund.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Geez, I'm sorry to learn about this about OWC. I've been a customer for years, and used to stop by their booth a MacWorld. I know they sell open box, and used/refurbished stuff. Usually it is declared on their site.

walex19

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Atlanta,GA
This is why I canceled my order last week when I saw someone mention the same. Went with a new model at Best Buy for $199

sheck

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
It’s not a issue with shipping. It’s an issue with the merchant delivering a product that is not as advertised.

If you include a screenshot of the ad clearly showing one model number, and the delivered device showing another, that is at best a clerical error and at worst fraud. At this point a couple things will happen. One, the merchant will be charged a chargeback fee. Two, the credit card company will intervene on your behalf to reverse the transaction.

If OWC cannot prove that they sent the exact model that you ordered (and based on the response it sounds like they can’t) that is a slam dunk win.

I have purchased from OWC many times over the years and consider them to be reputable, so it is a shame that they are handling this poorly.

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020

They gave me full refund, plus shipping I paid for and they paid for return shipping.
It’s advertised as New, yet they sell refurb units. They pulling the old Bait and Switch routine.
You need to fight them on it. Who send it to you is not your concern and has no relevance.
They sold it to you, they need to fix this screw up.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I've had bad memory from OWC and had to fight them on it. I'm not surprised they are trying this with HomePOds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.