Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccoops

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Hi all
I have inherited a 12,2 mid 2011 iMac with an OWC SDD kit including caddy adaptor and cable with temperature sensor...

Except that the sensor itself is missing, the previous owner found that it was stuck to the dead SDD drive and trashed it!

So I have the cable, all working fine, but no sensor. I know that I can use Macs Fan Control, however I would like to make use of the OWC cable if I can.

The OWC temp sensor cable terminates at a small white plug and consists of two wires.

I note that the ODD sensor consists of two wires also, and they are available at very low price. Would I be able to splice the two sets of wires together in order to replace the OWC SSD sensor with the ODD sensor?

If so is there any way to know which pair of wires to connect together? I have a multimeter...

I believe the alternative is to cut and join wires 1 and 4 from the SATA cable however it would be nice to get the OWC cable working as designed. Thanks!

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Well if it was me, I'd just buy a new cable and call it a day. But that's largely because I lack the skills to repair something like this.

You mention that the sensor is gone and trashed. If you look at the photo of the cable (I used one in a 2010 iMac myself), you'll see what exactly is there. It's more than just a white plug at the end. I don't know how you expect to get the adapter to work if you don't even have the sensor.

OWCDIDIMACHDD11-pimid42497-lg.jpg

maccoops

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Well if it was me, I'd just buy a new cable and call it a day. But that's largely because I lack the skills to repair something like this.

You mention that the sensor is gone and trashed. If you look at the photo of the cable (I used one in a 2010 iMac myself), you'll see what exactly is there. It's more than just a white plug at the end. I don't know how you expect to get the adapter to work if you don't even have the sensor.

OWCDIDIMACHDD11-pimid42497-lg.jpg
Thanks. Yes this is the cable I have. I'm missing the little PCB containing the sensor. Now that I look more closely I can see that there are 3 wires in this temp sensor cable. So I do not expect my suggestion would work.

I wonder if there are other suggestions please?

Thanks, Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.