Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Hey folks...

I'm told that many of the various P2P apps feature built-in spyware. Can anyone recommend a good, X-compatible P2P app that does not feature spyware?

I'm currently using limewire, and I like it, but I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a faq or other resource that explains spyware, how to disable, etc.

Thanks!
-Mike

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Kazaa is the primary one people talk about on the PC that has spyware... as far as I know... none of the OS X clients have spyware in it.

see

http://www.chaosmint.com/p2p

for P2P clients for OS X

arn

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I can see that Almighty Arn has done some research for this!

I have done a little as well.

In all the Net searching I have done in looking for spyware removers for the Mac I have found none.

So I have put together this conclusion with the help of Arn . . .

All of the spying is done on PCs! Get a MAC and be safe!

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

Yours Truly: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS X. That DOES make me better than you!

How often have I posted this catch phrase?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I think I recall someone claiming that Pitbull Pro contained spyware (at Version Tracker, I think), but the person who suggested it was flamed bad pretty quickly, so I'm guessing it wasn't true...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
P2P is short for 'peer to peer'. Like Hotline etc... one computer directly connects to another computer.

Spyware is something that is built into a P2P app (or the like) that is capable of tracking who you are and what you do with the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.