Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Your iPad mini is surprisingly capabale in low light! I love how you composed this so we can see all her treasures around her.

Is that a salt lamp? They've always intrigued me. Thanks for participating this week. šŸ™‚

I'm always amazed at how slow of a SS you manage to use while still handholding. That's a pretty impressive lion.

I know you are a collector, but it's fun to see everything laid out so neatly to get to know you a bit better.

Thank you, me too given the amount of coffee I drink! šŸ˜‚ I think manage to use is optimistic... "get away with" is probably more accurate.

One of the things I do is practice holding techniques and soft shutter pressing. I should do sit ups instead and get rid of my waist level ballast tank.

It is down to holding methods and in this case, a shorter focal length and IBIS of course. When you move up to bigger sensor sizes they become much less tolerant of holding techniques and so it is worth practicing IMHO

Reactions: arkitect

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
We used to get them at the petrol station when I was little. I think it was ELF or maybe Esso but every Ā£20 of petrol got a token to exchange for a Smurf. Happy times. If they were giving them out now at Ā£20 of petrol, they would be bankrupt!

Apparently they still make them. 8 unique figurines per year:

Many people do not realise that the Smurf figurines given away with the petrol promotions actually still continue in production today. The popularity of the smurfs in countries such as Belgium and Germany has never waned, and Smurf collecting has become a growing hobby worldwide, with 400 different figures produced so far. New Smurf figures continue to appear: in fact, only in two years since 1969 (1991 and 1998) have no new smurfs entered the market. Schleich currently produces 8 new figurines a year. Over 300 million of them have been sold so far.[4]

• Love
Reactions: kenoh and mollyc

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
A joint effort this week. I set the camera at 1/30 sec shutter speed and a -2/3rds stop EBV. My wife framed the image and squeezed the trigger, then I did some perspective control and run of the mill color tweaks. The camera grabbed an ISO of 1000.
P1021513.jpg

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This week of rainy weather has been very conducive to low light shooting.
Our wood stove made a good subject to start with.

View attachment 2137568
Olympus E-PL1
Olympus 18-180 (3.5-6.3) adapted to m4/3
Iso 800, exposure 1/3, f5.5, focal length 71 (142)

Another low light shot - small battery "lantern" lighting desk lamp.

View attachment 2137576

Olympus E-PL1
Iso 800, exposure 1/5, f3.9, focal length 23 (46)

ahhh! more fond memories! we had two wood stoves (two fireplaces) in our house growing up; they made a huge difference for us, living in western PA with bitterly cold winters and winds.

thank you for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: Snowlover

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
ahhh! more fond memories! we had two wood stoves (two fireplaces) in our house growing up; they made a huge difference for us, living in western PA with bitterly cold winters and winds.

thank you for sharing!
Thank you for taking the time to do this P52, I really appreciate it! šŸ™‚
I didn't even realize that I wanted to do this when you first proposed it, yet I've already gotten a lot out of it. ā¤ļø šŸ“·

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to do this P52, I really appreciate it! šŸ™‚
I didn't even realize that I wanted to do this when you first proposed it, yet I've already gotten a lot out of it. ā¤ļø šŸ“·
Oh, what a sweet thing to say! I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from this, as I am also running it from my own website/IG/Fb. It seems to really be resonating with a lot of people.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
A joint effort this week. I set the camera at 1/30 sec shutter speed and a -2/3rds stop EBV. My wife framed the image and squeezed the trigger, then I did some perspective control and run of the mill color tweaks. The camera grabbed an ISO of 1000.
View attachment 2137526
My wife has an absolutely exquisite eye. There are numerous images where she's said "get here, do that, do this" and it was beautiful. If she had the patience for photography, I could just be a button pusher for her eye.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
This week of rainy weather has been very conducive to low light shooting.
Our wood stove made a good subject to start with.

View attachment 2137568
Olympus E-PL1
Iso 800, exposure 1/3, f5.5, focal length 71 (142), handheld.
I can feel the heat and I can imagine the scent of a fantastic wood burning stove! Nothing better.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
i love it!
Tonight , I was gonna try to get night shots of all the classic stainless steel diners around me , there's around 5 or 6 that I can think of offhand , but traffic was working against me and I only got to this one . So , something to do some other night ...

Reactions: mollyc

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My wife has an absolutely exquisite eye. There are numerous images where she's said "get here, do that, do this" and it was beautiful. If she had the patience for photography, I could just be a button pusher for her eye.

Same here. My wife has a fantastic eye. The other one isnā€™t so great, must have been that one she saw me with originally šŸ˜‚ joking! Sorry. She does the same as your wife, she just instinctively knows where the right angle is. It isnā€™t annoying at all is it?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tonight , I was gonna try to get night shots of all the classic stainless steel diners around me , there's around 5 or 6 that I can think of offhand , but traffic was working against me and I only got to this one . So , something to do some other night ...
That sounds like a great personal project, 5 or 6 locations, multiple times through the year. These diners bring about a feeling of America and they are wonderful to see.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
2cb2f7c48d677fc53eb8f61be665.jpg

I finally managed to get out. :) Thanks Molly. I had put my mind on reflections and puddles. After half an hour walking around I found a nice one. Never crawled on busy pavement before. Fortunately I had a camera in my hand.

There are more shots of this evening. Some I will post, most will end up in a dark archive.

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
That sounds like a great personal project, 5 or 6 locations, multiple times through the year. These diners bring about a feeling of America and they are wonderful to see.
I've been wanting to do this for a while . Got a start on it several years back , but wasn't happy with the results I was getting so put the project on the back shelf until now . Plus the 6 stops of IS on my G9 is now giving me somewhat more flexibility re: shooting handheld vs. on a tripod . The big problem is that , after I take the shot(s) , I want to go in and have something to eat .

eliaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
230102-F-CK890-1009.jpg

Got this one of the Roebling Bridge in Cincinnati right before heading into the Bengals Bills game. Felt weird to post this until we heard that Hamlin is recovering well. Played around a bit to balance the exposure length and ISO, but was hoping to get a more glossy water and probably bumped the ISO down too much. Next time I'm on the river I'll probably play around with it some more...

Sony a7Riv \ ISO 100 \ 24mm \ f/22 \ 2.5"

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
My wife's eye is unquestionably at least a bit better than mine. However she has no patience for the technical details, things like knowing that you need to use a shutter speed of 1/30 or slower when imaging LEDs, otherwise you're likely to capture them during the dark cycle.

She wants the camera to take care of exposure and focus leaving her free to concentrate 100% on the framing.

Reactions: r.harris1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.