Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 23: Movement

main.jpg

Hello, P52ers! This week we are going to consider the use and depiction of movement in our images. Often when we compose an image we are concerned with having everything in pin sharp focus. And this is a key foundational skill in photography. We never want to use too slow a shutter speed for fear of having an image that is just a bit blurry or out of focus, which therefore hampers our story. But if everything is super sharp, how do you convey movement? Luckily, there are numerous ways to show movement in photography.

One way, of course, is to keep everything in sharp focus and using a very high shutter speed to stop motion. This is a great technique if you have a fast moving subject: a ball, a runner, a crashing wave. It allows us to see minute details stopped in time that we cannot see in real time as the action unfolds.

2023-06-05_0003.jpg

2023-06-05_0007.jpg

Conversely, we can use a much slower shutter speed, and let objects in the frame travel throughout. Think of things like a babbling stream, a wave sliding into the shore; by using a long shutter speed this movement smoothes out the water, and we are left feeling the effects of time. Typically you will need to use a tripod or other sturdy surface for these images to work, as we only want the movement in the water or the main subject (perhaps a car or bicycle), as the main structure of the image stays in one place.

2023-06-05_0001.jpg

Another way is panning, which is a type of Intentional Camera Movement (ICM). With panning, you need a shutter speed that allows you to hold the camera at a relatively stable angle to the ground, and you move the camera in the direction of your subject, locked in at their speed; if you do it properly, your subject will stand out as a sharp point within a blurred frame that conveys the motion the subject is feeling as they travel.

2023-06-05_0005.jpg

A lot of feeling of movement can be conveyed just by the pose and body position of the subject. Kids jumping, dogs running where you can see multiple feet off the ground all lead to a sense of motion.

2023-06-05_0006.jpg

Lastly, we can also use actual ICM to create abstract style images; this is a very creative, and often frustrating technique, but when paired with good light and shadow can create very compelling images. I have personally only dipped my toe into this genre but it’s a good way to let loose with photography and just be free with your camera and no expectations.

2023-06-05_0002.jpg

Can’t wait to see what you all come up with this week!

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I obviously have a few with movement from recent posts. Will wait until I get home as want to work some of the RAW images. Haven't been happy with the straight posting quality, as seem much darker than original on here.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Note! ‼️
This is a crappy picture and not submitted because I think it is a worthwhile photo. 😁 (The sky in particular looks awful.)

But… I think it illustrates movement quite well.

It happened by pure chance yesterday as I was out getting groceries.
I wanted a snap of the High Street and accidentally took a Live Photo on the 13 Mini.

When I opened it later I in Photos to edit I saw an option to change it to Time Lapse.

I never knew this setting was there so I may try to make the most of it in future.
🙂

IMG_4045.jpeg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Note! ‼️
This is a crappy picture and not submitted because I think it is a worthwhile photo. 😁 (The sky in particular looks awful.)

But… I think it illustrates movement quite well.

It happened by pure chance yesterday as I was out getting groceries.
I wanted a snap of the High Street and accidentally took a Live Photo on the 13 Mini.

When I opened it later I in Photos to edit I saw an option to change it to Time Lapse.

I never knew this setting was there so I may try to make the most of it in future.
🙂

View attachment 2213691
What a clever trick! Thanks for sharing; I will have to try this out soon. I mostly use my phone to take photos ofmy dog so I always have live mode on since she doesn't like to look at the camera. With live mode I can often move the cover photo for something a bit better.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Hmm set the ISO to 1/100 and the aperture to its minimum ƒ-11 on the little Oly TG-6. Thanks to an overcast sky was able to drop shutter speed to 1/40th. Then had a bit of fun post process.

Took several tries as I was gunning single shot and it turns out that there is just enough shutter lag that perfect timing involved releasing the shutter as the car is about to enter the frame. Of course I could have used the machine gun approach but where is the fun in that?

BTW The Blood Indians gave the mountain in the back ground a name that translates to; The Mountain That Walks.
Motion.jpg

Edit might as well add this one to the previous post. I call it; Incoming.
Incoming.jpg

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Hmm set the ISO to 1/100 and the aperture to its minimum ƒ-11 on the little Oly TG-6. Thanks to an overcast sky was able to drop shutter speed to 1/40th. Then had a bit of fun post process.

Took several tries as I was gunning single shot and it turns out that there is just enough shutter lag that perfect timing involved releasing the shutter as the car is about to enter the frame. Of course I could have used the machine gun approach but where is the fun in that?

BTW The Blood Indians gave the mountain in the back ground a name that translates to; The Mountain That Walks.
View attachment 2215057

Edit might as well add this one to the previous post. I call it; Incoming.
View attachment 2215283
The first one is great!

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Finally got home and able to work through photos taken last week as wasn't satisfies with quality of camera to iPhone transfer. There was movement all around me! Still have to work the wedding photos, but other than the dance floor primary movement was around Niagra Falls.
Niagra 2500px-49.jpg
Niagra 2500px-70.jpg
Niagra 2500px-77.jpg
Niagra 2500px-94.jpg
Niagra 2500px-97.jpg
Niagra 2500px-101.jpg
Niagra 2500px-103.jpg
Niagra 2500px-113.jpg

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
On the way home took a short detour off I77 onto Blue Ridge Parkway. Intent was to eat lunch at an overlook but no picnic tables. Not only was the Blue Ridge Music Center open with picnic tables and restrooms, their summer concert program was unexpected and had some nice Bluegrass guitar picking! The running deer was sighted just before exiting the Parkway for the highway returning to I77.
Blue Ridge Parkway 2500px-2.jpg
Blue Ridge Parkway 2500px-5.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Finally got home and able to work through photos taken last week as wasn't satisfies with quality of camera to iPhone transfer. There was movement all around me! Still have to work the wedding photos, but other than the dance floor primary movement was around Niagra Falls.
View attachment 2216261 View attachment 2216262 View attachment 2216260 View attachment 2216259 View attachment 2216263 View attachment 2216266 View attachment 2216265 View attachment 2216264

On the way home took a short detour off I77 onto Blue Ridge Parkway. Intent was to eat lunch at an overlook but no picnic tables. Not only was the Blue Ridge Music Center open with picnic tables and restrooms, their summer concert program was unexpected and had some nice Bluegrass guitar picking! The running deer was sighted just before exiting the Parkway for the highway returning to I77.
View attachment 2216276 View attachment 2216279
I love seeing your vacation photos! I love the POTD thread, but at times it's really nice to see more than one image at a time from a trip or excursion.

Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.