Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
0ev5EdN.jpg

bB3abJw.jpg

S4V3sta.jpg

CRilHk6.jpg
Love the shadows in the second one.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2219542

Slowly will be getting posts in for the last few weeks. One interesting take on full sun is black-and-white, I feel. This was with a light red filter and probably a bit of IR leaking in.

View attachment 2219989

I find this crop more pleasing than the above. It just "rests on my eye" better. It got rid of the annoying "ray gun" greenish thingie on the right and just "seems" slightly better. I'd love any feedback that folks have (and includes if your choices are entirely different than my own :)).

I love the third black and white you posted and definitely prefer the second crop of the cactus photo. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
  • Love
Reactions: bondr006

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Indeed! Can't help myself.

I would love to get better at photographing architecture. Surprisingly difficult… 🤣
My entry into photography was photographing architecture; I reasoned to myself I should learn to photograph my projects.

While I still like buildings, the built environment, and photographs in and around buildings, I found the project of making staged and "perfect" pictures of spaces to be exhausting and, for lack of a better word, "fake." I always wanted to insert human elements in my pictures, and none of my clients lived in spaces like they're presented in magazines. So I kinda gave it up; fortunately portraiture of family filled in and enthusiastically carried me for years.

Now the kids are growing up and I've been moving back to architecture, or more properly the urban mise-en-scène. Faves are when people make an appearance, or stark shadows, because it is so hard to make straight up architecture pictures that are interesting.

An aside: I was reading Robert Adams last night; an essay he wrote about Paul Strand. He mentioned a seminal book of Strand's, called Time in New England. Adams is describing Strand's efforts to photograph both a place and a resilient cornerstone of culture, and he reproduces this Strand picture, saying, "it is, I think, among the greatest architectural pictures ever made."

Adams, Why People Photography, pp 80-81.png

Now here's a picture in full sun! I love the contrast, the black windows (one way in school we made windows look like windows was to darken them), the sky dark but the clapboards not washed out.

But that eroded edge! The slight skew! What is going on? Last night I spent a fair amount of time wrapping my head around this, because the picture /does/ speak to me, despite? because of? these "flaws." Sure the author Robert Adams is a respected photographer, but still he is also just some guy ... what does someone make of this assertion of this being not just great but among the greatest architectural photographs?

The only thing I can say for certain is this image is a long long way from "documenting" projects and a magazine spread in a lifestyle magazine.

Strand, Paul Church, Vermont 1944.png

(I had to screen grab this; the reproduction in Adams' book is better, and the print itself appears to not be on view anywhere I could easily find.)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
My entry into photography was photographing architecture; I reasoned to myself I should learn to photograph my projects.

While I still like buildings, the built environment, and photographs in and around buildings, I found the project of making staged and "perfect" pictures of spaces to be exhausting and, for lack of a better word, "fake." I always wanted to insert human elements in my pictures, and none of my clients lived in spaces like they're presented in magazines. So I kinda gave it up; fortunately portraiture of family filled in and enthusiastically carried me for years.

Now the kids are growing up and I've been moving back to architecture, or more properly the urban mise-en-scène. Faves are when people make an appearance, or stark shadows, because it is so hard to make straight up architecture pictures that are interesting.

An aside: I was reading Robert Adams last night; an essay he wrote about Paul Strand. He mentioned a seminal book of Strand's, called Time in New England. Adams is describing Strand's efforts to photograph both a place and a resilient cornerstone of culture, and he reproduces this Strand picture, saying, "it is, I think, among the greatest architectural pictures ever made."

View attachment 2220326

Now here's a picture in full sun! I love the contrast, the black windows (one way in school we made windows look like windows was to darken them), the sky dark but the clapboards not washed out.

But that eroded edge! The slight skew! What is going on? Last night I spent a fair amount of time wrapping my head around this, because the picture /does/ speak to me, despite? because of? these "flaws." Sure the author Robert Adams is a respected photographer, but still he is also just some guy ... what does someone make of this assertion of this being not just great but among the greatest architectural photographs?

The only thing I can say for certain is this image is a long long way from "documenting" projects and a magazine spread in a lifestyle magazine.

View attachment 2220327

(I had to screen grab this; the reproduction in Adams' book is better, and the print itself appears to not be on view anywhere I could easily find.)
What you may not know is that @arkitect draws and paints the most magnificent architectural prints. So I was teasing him with finding buildings to photograph because his watercolor images are so much more spectacular than his iPhone photos.

As to the photo in your quote, is the photograph skewed in the lines, or is the building just so old that it has no straight lines? I run into that even when going to Georgetown with "new" buildings (new when compared to the age of buildings you could find in the UK). I also imagine it was a lot harder to square up an image in camera than now, what with our built in levels and modern conveniences.

Or, as I re-read your post...I might be misunderstanding it, not knowing either Strand or Roberts. Is this a modern image, reproducing one from 1944 or earlier?

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
What you may not know is that @arkitect draws and paints the most magnificent architectural prints. So I was teasing him with finding buildings to photograph because his watercolor images are so much more spectacular than

Glad to know! Architectural prints are a special level of both interesting and difficult.

Or, as I re-read your post...I might be misunderstanding it, not knowing either Strand or Roberts. Is this a modern image, reproducing one from 1944 or earlier?

Robert Adams
Paul Strand

The image is a Strand photograph that Strand made in 1944, reproduced in an Adams book (he has made 50 plus books) in 1994. According to Adams, the Stand photo is definitely deliberatively skewed, and presumably deliberatively framed just so. By the time Strand makes that 1944 image, he's been photographing for nearly 40 years.

Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Glad to know! Architectural prints are a special level of both interesting and difficult.

Robert Adams
Paul Strand

The image is a Strand photograph that Strand made in 1944, reproduced in an Adams book (he has made 50 plus books) in 1994. According to Adams, the Stand photo is definitely deliberatively skewed, and presumably deliberatively framed just so. By the time Strand makes that 1944 image, he's been photographing for nearly 40 years.
Honestly I'm more bothered by the cut off right side than the skewing! I can forgive the skewing under the pretense that it was made with vintage equipment (even if it was purposeful, most viewers wouldn't know that). But the crop is just unforgivable to me!

Reactions: bondr006

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Honestly I'm more bothered by the cut off right side than the skewing! I can forgive the skewing under the pretense that it was made with vintage equipment (even if it was purposeful, most viewers wouldn't know that). But the crop is just unforgivable to me!
I know how you feel and can't point to a time I'd want to crop this way; yet I remain intrigued by this image.

Not trying to convince anyone else; only offered as food for thought.

Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.