Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
L1003179.jpg

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
There was a question just this week on a different photo platform I am on as to whether light reflection counted as "reflection." I admit I had never considered it until then, but it was agreed that it does count, so bonus points for hammering this concept in my head for the second time this week.
And I only really thought about it today. I didn't know if would fly, so thank you :D. I was walking by and saw the sun reflecting in this particular way and said "Hey, it IS reflecting and I like it, so...". I have a few other ideas that are hopefully more reflective of the intent that will depend on me being in the "right place, at the right time". We shall see.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
L1003191 1.jpg

I was annoying my wife mightily last night as my attention was drawn to a corner of the room where evening sun was reflecting off some tiles and their reflection in a mirror, along with some dried wheat sheafs. We were watching a program that was interesting and I kept getting up to try and capture the reflection, but I failed at most of the shots. I had to be "quick about it". Eyes like daggers in my back, snide comments, the like. The pressure! :D

This is a failure too, but it's also one I ended up liking with the unintentional movement.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2223277
I was annoying my wife mightily last night as my attention was drawn to a corner of the room where evening sun was reflecting off some tiles and their reflection in a mirror, along with some dried wheat sheafs. We were watching a program that was interesting and I kept getting up to try and capture the reflection, but I failed at most of the shots. I had to be "quick about it". Eyes like daggers in my back, snide comments, the like. The pressure! :D

This is a failure too, but it's also one I ended up liking with the unintentional movement.
See this is what the pause button on the tv is for! One of the greatest inventions ever in the history of man. 😉

I really want to see what this space looks like normally. Such great colors you captured.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
bjykbXc.jpg

Two versions of the same picture: I'm torn whether I like the first one with the colour contrast between the water and the buildings better or the black and white one…

5eCK1oF.jpg

QqIei9d.jpg

1rACFCd.jpg

xzW24HG.jpg
I really love the first one!

For the image where you are torn between black and white. I notice the WB on the color version is too cool. How do you feel about it after warming it up some? It does turn the water kind of a murky yellow.

5eCK1oF copy.jpg

But luckily you can use a mask to fix the color of the water to something more pleasing.

5eCK1oF copy2.jpg

Just something to think about. The water in my local creek is often that yellow color just because it's so shallow the color of the sediment alters the water color.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
See this is what the pause button on the tv is for! One of the greatest inventions ever in the history of man. 😉

I really want to see what this space looks like normally. Such great colors you captured.
Yes, a great invention indeed, but had I continued to hit pause each time I got up, it’s not likely I’d have survived the night in one piece :D.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I really love the first one!

For the image where you are torn between black and white. I notice the WB on the color version is too cool. How do you feel about it after warming it up some? It does turn the water kind of a murky yellow.

View attachment 2223459

But luckily you can use a mask to fix the color of the water to something more pleasing.

View attachment 2223460

Just something to think about. The water in my local creek is often that yellow color just because it's so shallow the color of the sediment alters the water color.
Yes, that works. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm late to the party, but want to get back into doing this.

I was toying with this idea last week, but never had a good chance to go and actually try it. I still don't know if I'm totally happy with it, but at least it's a shot and getting over the hump of starting this.

This church is up the street from me. It was one of the first in the area, and closed last year but is still maintained. Reflected in the window is their associated school house, long closed. The latter is very much in the feel of an old rural one-room school but is a solid concrete/stucco building.

I played with some angles and liked this one best, but I think this may still need some help/tweaking.

Fuji X-T5, 23mm f/2, f/8.0 1/20

DSCF2936-Enhanced-RD.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I'm late to the party, but want to get back into doing this.

I was toying with this idea last week, but never had a good chance to go and actually try it. I still don't know if I'm totally happy with it, but at least it's a shot and getting over the hump of starting this.

This church is up the street from me. It was one of the first in the area, and closed last year but is still maintained. Reflected in the window is their associated school house, long closed. The latter is very much in the feel of an old rural one-room school but is a solid concrete/stucco building.

I played with some angles and liked this one best, but I think this may still need some help/tweaking.

Fuji X-T5, 23mm f/2, f/8.0 1/20

View attachment 2225962

I really like this. I'm not sure what editing program you use, but I edit in LR, and I often use a clarity brush over reflections because sometimes they get a little muddy. I also increased exposure just a bit (and I also was not overly neat in my masking) but I think it helps draw out the reflection more. I didn't do any editing to the base image, just a brush over the building portion of the reflection.

I also straightened it because it is leaning a bit too much to the right; your doors and that back gable wall (original structure?) should be perpendicular to the ground.

DSCF2936-Enhanced-RD copy.jpg

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I really like this. I'm not sure what editing program you use, but I edit in LR, and I often use a clarity brush over reflections because sometimes they get a little muddy. I also increased exposure just a bit (and I also was not overly neat in my masking) but I think it helps draw out the reflection more. I didn't do any editing to the base image, just a brush over the building portion of the reflection.

I also straightened it because it is leaning a bit too much to the right; your doors and that back gable wall (original structure?) should be perpendicular to the ground.

View attachment 2226151
Thanks for your thoughts and edits on this one!

Level horizons are my nemesis, and you'd think I'd be better with the much more "in your face" level tools available in the camera.

Based on your edits, though, here's my attempt:

First of all, I gave up on trying to level it myself and just did an auto-upright in Lightroom. I'd originally tried to do guided when I was working this one up, and that's a very powerful tool but one that can give really wonky results if not done judiciously. Auto-upright isn't one I normally use that much, but I think it worked well here on shifting the perspective a more moderate amount.

I'd actually played with the exposure quite at bit at capture and had ended up over-exposing this one quite a bit to get the reflection to show better, but you're right that it was still sort of muddy.

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 11.35.14 AM.png

I tweaked the exposure, and then went maybe a bit heavier handed on the clarity brush than you did but I like the result.

What do you think?

DSCF2936-Enhanced-RD-2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.