Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 26: Leading Lines

main.jpg

Back again for another week of the P52. This week we are going to look at leading lines, which are a great way to lead the viewer’s eye through the frame to draw them right into the subject. I admit that I don’t use lines often enough in my own work unless I am using a path or a street, but there are lots of ways to use lines. Think railings, overhead power lines, floorboards. Lines are everywhere and training your eye to see them can really level up your compositions. In the image above, I rearranged the plant pots to line up their edges in a bit of an S curve, and the light and shadows lead your eye to the orange dahlia and help keep your eye right at the flower.

Here is an example of lines really bringing focus to your subject. I knew that I wanted to have the focus of this image be on the cupola-like structure on the building in the background of this image. However, with no zoom lens and a busy street, I risked having the image lose its focus with so much going on in the frame. I stood off to the side (in part so as not to get run over standing in the middle of an intersection with no spotter) and used the lines of the street to direct the gaze of the viewer.

Roll _2_YashicaMat124_2023_Image_03 copy 2.jpg

Using paths and other structures deliberately can will focus your viewer's eye on the subject with the intent of not having the eye wander out of the frame. They can be natural or manmade and can offer a very graphical element to your photos.

2023-06-25_0001 3.47.37 PM.jpg

2023-06-25_0002 3.47.37 PM.jpg

Paths and streets are easy to use as lines within an image.

2023-06-25_0004 3.47.37 PM.jpg

However, leading lines can be more subtle. Consider the images below. On the top left, the out of focus flowers are arranged in a slight V shape that point to the in focus flower. In the top right image, although the subject is well defined by the area of focus, the pointed lavendar flower also leads our eye right back to the bee as the main subject. And in the bottom image of Halley, the light itself is a line that leads our eye to the rim light of our subject.

2023-06-25_0005 3.47.37 PM.jpg

S curve lines are always a good option if you can find them and add a particular interest to images.

2023-06-25_0003 3.47.37 PM.jpg

One thing you must take care of when using lines is not to lead your viewer's eye OUT of the frame. We want to have the lines to accentuate the subject. The three images below were all taken at the same location. Only one uses leading lines in a way that tells our story successfully with the use of lines. In the top image, the lines of the railing posts lead our eye right to Halley and also work as a secondary framing method. The bottom left image is a good image, but the depth of field and framing do not give us any leading lines. The bottom right image is an example of what NOT to do. We see her sitting on the bench, and then observe the path behind her with the lines that actually lead us away from our intended subject. This is a poor use of lines. A more successful image would have had me stand more to the right and center her on the bench within those railing lines, but there is a large tree where I would need to stand, so I have never worked out this angle before. Make sure your lines lead to your subject and keep your viewer's eyes circling within the frame. You can compare to this to the image of my daugther above walking the dog; while the S curve does lead out of the frame, because they are walking on the path, it invites the viewer to imagine where the path might lead.

2023-06-25_0006 3.47.37 PM.jpg

Go forth and find some lines this week!

CSKK

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2023
Great images. Lots of wonderful leading lines. I just want to say the grainy black-and-white image of the photographer is outstanding. They are all good but this one caught my attention immediately. Well done!

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Great images. Lots of wonderful leading lines. I just want to say the grainy black-and-white image of the photographer is outstanding. They are all good but this one caught my attention immediately. Well done!

Thank you! That is from the first roll of film I ever developed in the spring of 2022. 🙂

I take a daily walk with my dogs around our homestead. It was fun noticing leading lines along the way. I'll see if I can find more this week.
View attachment 2223788
What I would give to have enough land to do my daily walks! I grew up on 11 acres in western Pennsylvania and this reminds me of my old home. And I spy three doggos here!

Reactions: CSKK and bondr006

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Follow this line! I wanted on of a gator creating the line as swimming towards me but were always swimming parallel. Then came across this guy. While my path was straight ahead, giving a wide berth, I wasn't going to stop for a photo op when straight on. I do have some limits. Never hissed or I would have backed away, and if suddenly charged had monopod ready as a "defensive weapon".

It also gives an overview of the hiking environment - no barriers.
Wetlands June 2023 - 2500px-15.jpg
Wetlands June 2023 - 2500px-16.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2223815 View attachment 2223814
A cluster of roses I've been waiting to see its bloom since 2 years, when they gave me a tiny plant

View attachment 2224492
All lines pointing to the cosmo (cosmos)

View attachment 2224494
Lines straight and curve: maybe this is why the morning glory found its way up to the arch

I love that you are finding lines everywhere! This is a great observational kind of week to hunt for things even if you don't have a camera with out.

I do want to say, though, that this week is more than just having lines in the frame, but using those lines to lead the viewer's eye. I think your two strongest images so far are the cityscape, with the street leading to the building in the background, and the birds, with their formation making the V that tells us where they are flying.

You could argue that in your first rose image the path way kind of acts as a leading line, but really that story is just about the flowers and only the flowers. The path isn't really contributing as a storytelling element. Likewise, on your last image, the archway is definitely a lined element, but the lines themselves don't lead us into the image further. We want the lines in this week's photos to guide the eyes around the photo. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: katbel and bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Obstacle to the leading line. The gate is new, presumably to keep small animals, like raccoons, off as it is pull to open rather than push. But raccoons and bobcats would just climb/jump over. View attachment 2224114

Follow this line! I wanted on of a gator creating the line as swimming towards me but were always swimming parallel. Then came across this guy. While my path was straight ahead, giving a wide berth, I wasn't going to stop for a photo op when straight on. I do have some limits. Never hissed or I would have backed away, and if suddenly charged had monopod ready as a "defensive weapon".

It also gives an overview of the hiking environment - no barriers.
View attachment 2224278 View attachment 2224277

What a magnificent set you've got going this week! I particularly love the first three from the second post.

Reactions: katbel and bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.