Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 31: Food

main.jpg

Here’s a little known fact about me: food photography is probably my least favorite genre. I like the idea of it, but as someone who cooks pretty much every night, by the time I get around to having dinner actually ready to eat, the last thing I want to do is hold everyone up and tell them to wait until it’s cold so I can take a photo of it. I’m also not good at props/plating/angles. I really appreciate good food photography in magazines or on menus. But for some reason it eludes me. I have not taken a new photo for this challenge yet, and I promise really hard to try to take on this week.

2023-07-31_0001.jpg

For me personally, the vast majority of my food photography comes from family birthday cakes. That is about the only time it ever occurs to me to take a photo of food, and even then, not every birthday gets a photo specifically of the cake (although I do almost always take photos of the birthday celebrant blowing out their candles). Cake photos with candles typically look better when the candles are lit, although that is not a rule I always follow myself.

2023-07-31_0004.jpg

2023-07-31_0003.jpg

However, the same general principles for regular photography stand for food photography: good lighting, good depth of field. I think color plays a larger role in food photography, because no one will find a plate of turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes appetiizing when plated on yellow plates under hinky indoor lighting. If this is your scene, be sure to use natural light, add some greenery, swap out the plate to a darker color and don’t shoot straight down. I always also enjoy somewhat dimmer light, like restaurant lighting, and I like t try to have some clear glasses that are partially filled to help reflect the light, when appropriate to the scene.

2023-07-31_0002.jpg

2023-07-31_0005.jpg

Traditional food photography focuses just on the food and the tablescape, but often having a human element to a photo helps tell a story better.

2023-07-31_0006.jpg

You can also try a diptych style where you have two parts to one story, perhaps the cooking/making of, and then the final dish.

2023-07-31_0007.jpg

As always, have fun this week!

(PS - If you are a work ahead P52er, I have some logistical issues I am trying to work out for the next couple of weeks and I might have to switch the themes around. I am not going to change any of them, just the week that they will be live. I will keep you all posted on this and hope to have it worked out in the next couple of days. Planning the whole year out in advance is a good idea, but of course real life sometimes gets in the way of what I thought would be going on back in December when I put the schedule together).

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2239843

At a favorite cafe this a.m.; the first day they were open after summer break.

That's voisilmäpulla – a "butter eye" cardamon pastry – and some coffee. The pastry was still warm from the oven.

Enjoyed a quiet moment and then brought some other pastries back for the snoozing daughter.
good idea! maybe i'll sneak to a coffee shop this week and have them plate something for me!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
P52 Food August - 1 (1).jpeg
P52 Food August - 1.jpeg
Dinner last night: everyone was very pleased we have "Food " this week 😄
Spinach gnocchi with walnuts and panna cotta with strawberry sauce and vanilla icecream

Tonight take out 🙃

Last edited:

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
.. some baking yesterday morning -- used a successfully-made banana loaf recipe and procedure from last week, but this time, instead of bananas, added some of my homemade apple sauce, some boiled raisins, and the juices from each. We had our first taste after dinner yesterday -- dense & moist, and scored high for flavour & taste -- I suspect it will score even higher today, after its overnight in the fridge.

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.