Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 45: Out of Focus/Abstract

main.jpg

We are coming into the home stretch here, friends. I can’t believe we are nearing the midpoint to November (perhaps not today but by the end of the week we will be mid-month) and I am really impressed with those of you who have stuck with this all year. It’s an impressive feat.

This week we will be thinking outside the box. I have two variations on a theme, depending on what gear you use or how your brain works. They are very similar, although you’ll end up with different results. I want you to think about images in terms of light/shadow, color, contrast, and then make a photo that is out of focus. Not a single point of focus. You will be considering so many of our previous lessons on creating strong images through the use of lines, framing, negative space, and other compositional techniques, all to figure out how to convey a message without having a clear focal point.
2023-11-06_0003.jpg

This is not a technique I use frequently, but I’d say on average, I try this at least once a month. There is something about the way the light catches my eye sometimes that throws everything out of focus in real life - my eyes are tired or my brain is tired and something catches my peripheral vision and I just see the dancing light, so I go find a camera and defocus an image. For me there is a sense of peace and nostalgia, just seeing light and colors melding together.

2023-11-06_0002.jpg

Some of you may not like this technique and wish for something a bit more concrete to work with, or you may have gear limitations that don’t allow you to defocus as easily as a manual lens. For those of you who fall into this category, I’d encourage you to look for a more abstract scene, even if you do have a true focal point. The same guidelines as above will shape your image, but you might choose to have something in focus. The Tate Modern Museum defines abstract as:

Abstract art is art that does not attempt to represent an accurate depiction of a visual reality but instead uses shapes, colours, forms and gestural marks to achieve its effect

And while this definition encompasses modern art in terms of paintings, it’s definitely applicable to photography as well. While my method of defocusing certainly hits that mark, you might find a place where you see a bunch of lines converging in an interesting way, or you might even just find an ordinary object that you can showcase with unique lighting or a heavy crop that makes it appear different than it would ordinarily, and you can turn that scene into something abstract.

2023-11-06_0007.jpg

2023-11-06_0006.jpg

You can also play with some filters in Photoshop or your editing program of choice to help a focused image become more abstract, although I don’t personally have any examples of those. Other options are some ICM or even a slow shutter speed (both discussed more thoroughly in the Long Exposure week) to show a sense of motion and imperfection in your images.

2023-11-06_0004.jpg

If you have any vintage or specialty lenses like a Lensbaby, those are ideal for this week as they often have very distinct blur patterns.

2023-11-06_0005.jpg

The goal this week is to let go of perfection and show some movement and softness in your work and to really focus on creating an image with feeling and emotion rather than a realistic presentation of the scene at hand. It will take some undoing of your need for tack sharp images and lean into a more heartfelt image.

2023-11-06_0001.jpg

cogi0490

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Germany
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 45: Out of Focus/Abstract

View attachment 2308176

We are coming into the home stretch here, friends. I can’t believe we are nearing the midpoint to November (perhaps not today but by the end of the week we will be mid-month) and I am really impressed with those of you who have stuck with this all year. It’s an impressive feat.

This week we will be thinking outside the box. I have two variations on a theme, depending on what gear you use or how your brain works. They are very similar, although you’ll end up with different results. I want you to think about images in terms of light/shadow, color, contrast, and then make a photo that is out of focus. Not a single point of focus. You will be considering so many of our previous lessons on creating strong images through the use of lines, framing, negative space, and other compositional techniques, all to figure out how to convey a message without having a clear focal point.
View attachment 2308174

This is not a technique I use frequently, but I’d say on average, I try this at least once a month. There is something about the way the light catches my eye sometimes that throws everything out of focus in real life - my eyes are tired or my brain is tired and something catches my peripheral vision and I just see the dancing light, so I go find a camera and defocus an image. For me there is a sense of peace and nostalgia, just seeing light and colors melding together.

View attachment 2308173

Some of you may not like this technique and wish for something a bit more concrete to work with, or you may have gear limitations that don’t allow you to defocus as easily as a manual lens. For those of you who fall into this category, I’d encourage you to look for a more abstract scene, even if you do have a true focal point. The same guidelines as above will shape your image, but you might choose to have something in focus. The Tate Modern Museum defines abstract as:

And while this definition encompasses modern art in terms of paintings, it’s definitely applicable to photography as well. While my method of defocusing certainly hits that mark, you might find a place where you see a bunch of lines converging in an interesting way, or you might even just find an ordinary object that you can showcase with unique lighting or a heavy crop that makes it appear different than it would ordinarily, and you can turn that scene into something abstract.

View attachment 2308169

View attachment 2308170

You can also play with some filters in Photoshop or your editing program of choice to help a focused image become more abstract, although I don’t personally have any examples of those. Other options are some ICM or even a slow shutter speed (both discussed more thoroughly in the Long Exposure week) to show a sense of motion and imperfection in your images.

View attachment 2308172

If you have any vintage or specialty lenses like a Lensbaby, those are ideal for this week as they often have very distinct blur patterns.

View attachment 2308171

The goal this week is to let go of perfection and show some movement and softness in your work and to really focus on creating an image with feeling and emotion rather than a realistic presentation of the scene at hand. It will take some undoing of your need for tack sharp images and lean into a more heartfelt image.

View attachment 2308175
Stunning images!😳

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
A before/after. A wildlife refuge required permit for commercial photography which including as an illustration in a book would be considered commercial. But, no permit required for painting and painting is always more abstract than "pixel peeking" photographs. While this is "painterly" or photo realistic, it could be more abstract with wider brush strokes, but I didn't want to be too abstract. I find it interesting that a painting can always be in a studio from a photo, but if painting on site, the only requirement is to set up where won't impact others.
Circle Bar B 2.2 - 1500px.jpg
Circle B Bar - 1500px-11.JPG

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
A before/after. A wildlife refuge required permit for commercial photography which including as an illustration in a book would be considered commercial. But, no permit required for painting and painting is always more abstract than "pixel peeking" photographs. While this is "painterly" or photo realistic, it could be more abstract with wider brush strokes, but I didn't want to be too abstract. I find it interesting that a painting can always be in a studio from a photo, but if painting on site, the only requirement is to set up where won't impact others. View attachment 2308347 View attachment 2308348

i love this example. i tried to do this today to one of my photos but it didn’t look very good so i abandoned the idea.

thanks for sharing this as i think it might help a lot of people.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
i love this example. i tried to do this today to one of my photos but it didn’t look very good so i abandoned the idea.

thanks for sharing this as i think it might help a lot of people.
You really need two things. Probably the biggest is a Wacom tablet, although the Apple pen might work. With the Wacom pen you can apply varying pressure and slant that impacts how the paint spreads on the "canvas" which just isn't possible with a mouse. The other is the software. It can be done in Photoshop, applying the various brushes and colors but don't know if can do cloning of the original photo like I did - then manually finish. I used Corel Painter which was designed for painting but there are less expensive software options, such as the abbreviated product with the basics, Painter Essentials.

Of course everyone here takes perfect pictures and never has a dud, but if in the future you happen to have a dud, this is a great opportunity to salvage what otherwise was a great composition but technically flawed.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
And then three deliberate, lens-set-on-MF, unfocussed efforts:

2023-11-08 ~ _R5_7437.jpg

Here one color of lights, from the Chrysler Building, is in front of all the construction lights of a giant JP Morgan tower being built behind it. In front of both is a smokestack from a power plant at 14th street making the lights behind wavy. (An aside: it's kinda sad that building will be a backdrop to the majestic Chrysler, but time marches on.)

I'd say not successful, FWIW.

But these two turned out better:

2023-11-08 ~ _R5_7439.jpg

streetlights so abstracted they feel like little planets

2023-11-08 ~ _R5_7450.jpg

I liked the upper frame line of dots above (a train on the Williamsburg Bridge) with a lower frame line of dots (lights on the FDR Drive)

This is hard. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.