Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 46 | Artificial Light

main.jpg

We are coming into the homestretch of this project! Hard to believe we only have six weeks left after this theme. But for now we are going to focus on artificial light for this week.

As we now head into the quiet winter months, many of us will experience the shortening of days and lengthening of nights. Photographers often bemoan the lack of light, and with good reason, but that doesn’t mean we need to put our cameras away for the upcoming months, especially with how good modern sensors handle higher ISO values.

2023-11-13_0001.jpg

2023-11-13_0007.jpg

Artificial light encompasses all light sources that aren’t the sun. Flash, strobe, streetlights, stadium lights for a sporting event or concert all qualify. Creative light sources include car lights (interior and exterior), light from a tv or iPad, candles from a birthday cake, a flashlight, or campfire. Some of you might already have begun decorating for Christmas, and strand and other holiday lights can make for lovely images.

2023-11-13_0002.jpg

2023-11-13_0003.jpg

A big consideration when using alternative light sources is to make sure your white balance is accurate. Indoor lamp light tends to be much warmer than the sun, and you will need to use a much cooler white balance than you might expect. White balance is the process of counteracting a given light source's natural Kelvin temperature to bring the color of the light closer to what our brains perceive the color to be. Your white balance sliders may seem to be at wonky numbers, but if you struggle with getting the color feel free to use auto white balance or to convert to black and white.

2023-11-13_0005.jpg

2023-11-13_0006.jpg

Lastly, to the extent that you are able, do pay attention to the direction and quality of light that you are using. Sometimes you simply aren’t able to change how the light falls on your subject, but if you are able to, keep in mind our discussions of side and back light and how to use the light to enhance your subject, rather than becoming unnecessarily harsh or unflattering.

2023-11-13_0004.jpg

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Ah, Feuerzangenbowle. Also a lot of "fun" the next day... ;)
Thanks for the name! I don't drink a lot, just a glass so I get the taste.
I did the mistake once or twice when I was in my twenties and I still remember the "fun" the same evening a little later, oh my goodness! I learned to stop one glass or two before that point of no return ...🫠 🤕

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Couple of artificial light sources besides the flash. Don't often use the flash on the little Oly tough but I am always surprised by how even it is. No doubt that has more to do with the internal software than the design of the flash.

BTW I will be backing away from the POTD thread for awhile. I'd made this decision before the usual culprit initiated the Monday Massacre, so it has nothing to do with that little kerfuffle. Sadly that individual seems to have pulled a similar stunt on @TheYayAreaLiving to the point of having her suspended. I've really missed her contributions, as she is a superbly talented photographer.

PB151145.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Couple of artificial light sources besides the flash. Don't often use the flash on the little Oly tough but I am always surprised by how even it is. No doubt that has more to do with the internal software than the design of the flash.

BTW I will be backing away from the POTD thread for awhile. I'd made this decision before the usual culprit initiated the Monday Massacre, so it has nothing to do with that little kerfuffle. Sadly that individual seems to have pulled a similar stunt on @TheYayAreaLiving to the point of having her suspended. I've really missed her contributions, as she is a superbly talented photographer.

View attachment 2312895
I hope you are okay - not with the "monday massacre" thing (I mean, that too of course) - but with other things if you feel the need to pull back. I'm always reachable by private message here if you need to chat about things. As we move in to the holidays (I can't believe American Thanksgiving is next week already) it seems emotions tend to run high and patience low.

I also hope you come back the rest of the year to finish out this project. I haven't kept track, but pretty sure you've participated every week? That's a huge accomplishment.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I have had to do the same a couple times this year. It does help to get away for awhile. Unfortunately, the same "culprits" are always still here upon returning. And yes, I miss @TheYayAreaLiving and the beautiful photos and descriptions. That person sure did some traveling. I got myself into some trouble and had posts removed and received warnings sticking up for and defending her/him when that mess was happening.

I hope you do keep coming. There are several people here that I enjoy seeing regularly, and you are absolutely one of them. I hope you and your family are safe and well, and if you are here in the US, I hope you enjoy the most wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving next week. There are only 4 American holidays that have any real meaning, value, and importance to me, Independence day, Veterans day, Memorial day, and Thanksgiving.
thank you.png

I apologize for being off topic @mollyc.

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Thanks to both @bondr006 & @mollyc for your kind words. I will send you PMs, Probably sometime this evening. And if you wish to carry on more extensive conversations we can exchange eMail addresses via the PMs. I will still be hovering in the background, just not nearly as active.

Personally I was just slightly annoyed but chose to blow things up a bit when it occurred to me that this sort of nonsense has cost us some very talented contributors. I can look at my own work any time I choose. The joy I get from the POTD thread is seeing different parts of the world through the eyes and talent of other photographers and I hate to see that compromised over such petty issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.