Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 5: Layers

2023_January_50S20778.jpg

This week we are going to focus on looking for layers within our compositions. Layers add depth and interest to a photo, and help direct our viewer’s eye. Layers also give viewers a reason to linger on a photo, holding our attention as we look through the different areas of the photo.

“Layers” as a concept can be taken literally, with layers of a flower, or a set of stairs. Finding scenes like this is a good way of starting off with this prompt, if you haven’t studied more complex scenes.

2021_July_Z61_4319-Edit.jpg

2023_January_50S20571.jpg

2023_January_50S20788.jpg

However, more often, layers refers to a composition with a distinct foreground, middle, and background. A deep DOF is not required for this, although it's often used; personally I often delineate the three layer by using a shallow depth of field, which throws the foreground and background out of focus. It’s up to you how you want to handle your scenes, and I’d encourage you to try multiple approaches, even within one location to determine the best end result. Shooting a vase of flowers against a blank wall, or a simple portrait on seamless would not be considered using layers even though there are technically two layers - we are looking for a minimum of three layers throughout the image, and more are welcome. I included the two flower images above because the flowers themselves are quite layered, and the petals constitute the layers within the image; use your judgment here and work within the spirit of the challenge.

Some ways to add depth and layers in your images are to include framing elements such as windows and doors, which introduce and inside/outside perspective; the use of reflections; including repeating elements; and including objects at distinct intervals throughout the frame; or using leading lines (some of these concepts we will explore as individual weeks throughout the year, and they are not inherently necessary this week)..

2019_August_DSC_0195_Z6.jpg

2021_March_Z62_0322.jpg

2022_December_50S20508.jpg

F100_03.jpg

000011820032_F100.jpg

2018_October_9473_D700-Edit.jpg

You can find natural layers in nature or outside, often in orchards or farms (which of course are actually man-made layers), a dune to beach to water transition, or a grass to tree to mountain type of transition. Rows of cars in a parking lot, including the ground, buildings, and sky, or looking down a street are also other options to consider for this week.

2021_November_Z62_2816.jpg

2018_December_1075_D800.jpg

2020_April_6111_Z6-Edit.jpg

2015_August_0039824_GoPro.jpg

F100_15.jpg

Roll _10_F100_2022_Image_20.jpg

Can’t wait to see what you all come up with.

eliaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
OP, I might have missed this before, but are all the photos you use your original photos or do you pull some stock images too to use as examples? Just curious. Either way, thank you again for putting this together. It's definitely helped motivate me a little to keep my camera in reach and get out and shoot some more! I've been thinking about this prompt a little and I'm excited to give a few of my ideas a try.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
OP, I might have missed this before, but are all the photos you use your original photos or do you pull some stock images too to use as examples? Just curious. Either way, thank you again for putting this together. It's definitely helped motivate me a little to keep my camera in reach and get out and shoot some more! I've been thinking about this prompt a little and I'm excited to give a few of my ideas a try.
They are all my own photos. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2150913 Layers - Worcester Public Library I

Worcester Public Library - Main Branch, 3 Salem Square, Worcester Commons, Worcester, MA.
View from Study Room 1, looking in toward the Periodicals Desk.

The reflection on the room's window and also on the white board on the left shows a mural by Jason Eatherly and, behind that, the top of Bancroft on the Grid.

I love all the reflections. Great job.

My little girl bunny. The other two were off eating something else that they shouldn't elsewhere. This is a little wooden castle play house they have and as you can see they like to chew it.

View attachment 2151077
Wait, you have three bunnies? I thought you had only two....they are so fluffy, I want to come pet them.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I love all the reflections. Great job.

Wait, you have three bunnies? I thought you had only two....they are so fluffy, I want to come pet them.
Yes. Plan was to have 2 but then my little princess here was in need of her forever home when I collected the boys. So we ended up with three bunnies.

They need a haircut but it is £100 to get the 3 of them done. Tried to do it ourselves but we are rubbish at it.

If you find yourself in our corner of the world, then they are here for snuggles - assuming they are accepting an “audience with them” that day.

Reactions: mollyc

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Going to Costco without a car - you like to live on the edge don’t you? Costco the original “$1000 bill, but I only nipped in for some candles?!” :)
Someone else was driving... Anyway there are people living close by that walk there but they buy 1/100th~ of what we buy: mostly candles... 😜

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.