Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Web_February_19_2023_001-3.jpg

I pass by this building every day on my walk. It sits up on a hill and I've often noticed the lines of it from way down on the sidewalk, but since today is Sunday I decided to actually walk up to the building and see it a bit closer (it's a bank, I've even been inside it because we have accounts here, but the branch doors are around the corner from this view). I've always liked the geometric shapes and wanted to play off the open sky by getting a bit closer.

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Stunning as always. I'm curious about the shadowing at the bottom left - was there an obstruction between you and the building so you just burned that area, or is it a heavy in post vignette? I really like the lighting and night feel of this.
Yeah there is an ugly building on both sides so needed to burn them down.

Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
It was a busy week for me and I only today snapped some photos. I’m not completely satisfied with the results as it didn’t fully turn out the way I imagined it, however I wanted to share it nevertheless, so I don’t miss a week so early in the year. While thinking about negative space, I realised it is something I use quite often in my own photography – so I’ll definitely be revisiting this theme again, probably even this week.

P52_WEEK07ALT_NEGATIVESPACE_IMG_8737_FF.jpg
P52_WEEK07ALT_NEGATIVESPACE_IMG_8728_FF.jpg
P52_WEEK07ALT_NEGATIVESPACE_IMG_8719_FF.jpg
P52_WEEK07ALT_NEGATIVESPACE_IMG_8715_FF.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2161396 View attachment 2161395 View attachment 2161394

I want to revisit this through the year. It's one of my favorite themes and I literally only had a few minutes over the course of this week. My favorite "negative space" photographer is Michael Kenna. Just exquisite stuff...alas, 30 minutes does not Michael Kenna make. But I did want to keep going on P52....:)
You make the snow look pretty. We have thankfully not had any yet this year other than a couple of random flakes.

I had not seen Michael Kenna before; his work is really interesting. I think while he does incorporate a lot of negative space, I'd categorize his work more as minimal; it's really striking and is largely driven by the BW treatments. Thanks for mentioning him. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
It was a busy week for me and I only today snapped some photos. I’m not completely satisfied with the results as it didn’t fully turn out the way I imagined it, however I wanted to share it nevertheless, so I don’t miss a week so early in the year. While thinking about negative space, I realised it is something I use quite often in my own photography – so I’ll definitely be revisiting this theme again, probably even this week.

View attachment 2161455 View attachment 2161456 View attachment 2161454 View attachment 2161453
These are really interesting. What is the laser for?

Reactions: bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Your crop is stronger, yes ... but I left the reddish triangle in, as I think the wall refers to the Italian flag

Oh, well then of course you should leave that bit in. Hard to know context sometimes, so sorry...let me know if you'd like me to remove my version; I should have asked first.

View attachment 2161508

Perhaps a different take on negative space. Thinking about how much blocked-up black would tip the picture overboard.

The contrast here is really interesting. It's an fun angle.

Reactions: bondr006

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Oh, well then of course you should leave that bit in. Hard to know context sometimes, so sorry...let me know if you'd like me to remove my version; I should have asked first.

Just mentioning what my intent was; of course, intent doesn't matter if it doesn't work!

No issues at all with your version, or any critique really. I enjoy it. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022

View attachment 2161455 View attachment 2161456 View attachment 2161454 View attachment 2161453

As promised, I revisited last week’s theme and came up with another photo. I think all of my photos use a lot of negative, however, this is one the kind of shot I initially thought about.

P52_WEEK07_NEGATIVESPACE_IMG_9193_FF.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
  • Love
Reactions: ffff14P
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.