Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2004
Looking at buying a pda/phone. My options are the Treo600 and Sony Ericsson P900.
I love palm, n currently have a TungstenT and a Sony Clie TJ37, and i use a Sony Ericsson T610.
Wanna get rid of all of that, n get one device.
My beef with the Treo is the low res screen, n no bluetooth, so i'm more inclined to go for the P900. But i cant find much software thats mac compatible, or i'm looking in the wrong places.
Anyone got a P900, any advice on synching issues with iSync, mac compatibility?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm waiting for a replacement to the Treo 600. I can't say that they're working on one, but there have been some weird things going on. Pretty much every carrier except for Sprint PCS have dropped them. They need to be better and Bluetooth would help but I don't see a whole lot wrong with them, except for the price.

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I would definately go for the P900....

It has so many features:
MP3/AAC Player
Video Player
Camcorder
Better Camera
Themes
Much better display....65K screen compared to the 3K on the Treo
Internal antenna
Good RF
Bluetooth
Photo editor
Free firmware upgrades(using Virtual PC)
The UIQ OS is awesome!
I had the P800 and it worked great with my Mac.

nspeds

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
I just switched to the P900 from the P800 and there is a reason why it's called the "masarati of all phones". The P900 is an awesome organizer (comparable to a palm pilot), is fully compatible with iSync and the phone rules:).

One complaint, you'd think that Sony would add builtin flash for the P900 when revising the P800.

Rennie

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2004
Bath UK
P900 problems

I cannot get the phone to sync computer gives a "you need to restart your computer" I do then same thing happens

HELP

smharmon

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
I have owned 34 pdas, and 5 of them phones. The Treo600 is unbelievable, and from someone who had owned both, is able to way outdo the sonyE in terms of usability, email/messaging ability, complete integration with Word and Excel, expandable, can take movies with sound, LONG voicerecording, works with iSync great, many more accessories (full size keyboard, etc.), long battery life and the simplicity of palm. (Just remember that sony uses Windows XP on their systems! j/k) Anyway, it is really an awesome phone, do be aware though, it will be updated in august/sept.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Here's an interesting way to look at it. How much time do you think will be spent inputing data into the device itself? I can say that having a keyboard is very handy and is pretty much the "killer app" for the treo. Maybe I'm just not fast at handwriting recognition, but I can get data faster into my friend's treo than my P900.

If that's not an issue then the P900 is a sweet device. The screen is very nice. The form factor is comfortable. There are many applications to chose from (not as many as Palm tho). Taking pictures and recording movies is very easy to do and comes out looking fairly decent. Theme's are customizable and can be used to give the GUI a nice refresh if you get tired of the look. SE does a much better job of integrating phone and PDA, but PalmOne is catching up.
-jim

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
If you need a Qwerty Keyboard...Wait for the P910:D

7093.jpg

7096.jpg

7098.jpg

7100.jpg

smharmon

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Never wait for anything, if you did, you would be waiting for the rest of your life for the next big thing in tech. Buy the best there is now, use it up, sell it on ebay, and get the next thing when something else comes along. Go with the best now, the T600, upgrade later!

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Got my SE P900 @ x-mas and I'm happy with this mobile!

1. It has everything you need: Calendar, MP3 Player, Video player (even DivX runs on this Phone -> I have some simpsons episodes on my P900 and watch them on my way to school), HTML Browser (you can go into the net through Bluetooth), Messenger (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo)

2. You can play games like Doom, Strategic Assault, V-Rally. Sam & Max smooth on this mobile and there are lots of emulators for GB games

3. Once in a week my P900 falls on the floor and still it works fine!

:p

btw, iSync works fine with this mobile

kubit

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
P800 sncked

I used to have a P800 and really grew to hate it. The single worst thing about it was the UI. Don't know what it is with SonyE but their idea of convenience is light-years off-mark. I kept hitting the hang up button when I actually intended to hit the answer button and got a lot of flak from my friends and co-workers. And that flimsy stylus! Don't know if the P900 is any better, but if they're continuing to use jot/graffiti2 as their hand-writing recognition ... yuk!

I now have the T600. The only complaint I had was the keyboard and no graffiti (which I've fixed, see below). But otherwise it's perfect.

I've dropped it from standing position on to rugged concrete more times than I care to remember and -- not a scratch -- not one!

It doesn't have bluetooth, but I think that technology's overrated anyway. And if you want to play games, there are other devices out there for a lot less that do much better than P900!

The best thing about Palm: software! I have a freeware C-compiler on it and can develop applications for it right on the device. Try to find that with symbian. Which brings be to the part where Palm leaves Sony in the dust -- software. Sony is so protective of it's ip that it goes out of it's way to make it a pain in the @ss to customize its software. With my T600, I found I hated the keyboard, so I scrounged up Graffiti anywhere and Graffiti 1 (both freeware) to replace the built-in Graffiti 2, and viola.

kronos2611

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Personally I'd definatley go for the P900 - it seems a much better package. However the P910 looks fantastic and if you really need a small keyboard then it's the one to go for.... (if / when it ships!) The Treo does however have the advantage of a large PalmOS software library... However being a PalmOS user I personally hate the "Integration" it has with iSync - and I've found SonyEricsson phones pretty flawless when syncing in the past.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
I have a P900 for a week because a friend of mine works for SonyEricsson and she got me one for a bit. It feels like its trying to do too much. The interface is quite rough to use, and things (menu items etc..) arent very well organized.

Also, the reception isnt that great (compared to my Siemens C56 on the same provider). But when you do have reception, the sound quality is excelent.

For what its worth, i would not buy the P900.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
kubit said:
I have a freeware C-compiler on it and can develop applications for it right on the device.
Now this I need to get. I've always wanted to write some simple programs for the Palm, but couldn't find a good C-compiler, and couldn't understand the developers descriptions of the API. Please let me know where you got this!

--D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.