Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Pachinko is Apple TV+'s latest drama series, based on Min Jin Lee's best selling novel. In Apple's words:
Based on the New York Times bestseller, this sweeping saga chronicles the hopes and dreams of a Korean immigrant family across four generations as they leave their homeland in an indomitable quest to survive and thrive.

As far as I can tell, this is their first Asia-focused original series. It is reportedly one of the most expensive TV series of all time, at $130 million for an 8-episode first season. The series looks hyper authentic with a strong cast of mostly unknown, saved for Yuh-jung Youn fresh from her Academy Award win from Minari, Min-ho Lee, a famous actor from Korea, and Jimmi Simpson from Westworld.

I watched the first 4 episodes and it is almost assuredly going to be on many critic's top 10 TV series of 2022 list. At the surface, the story is melodramatic soap opera, but it has a lot of depth underneath.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Pachinko has a dual timeline structure (the present 1989 and the past goes as far as 1910) that can be distracting at times, especially when the audience gets sucked in to particular storyline. However, it occasionally works to emphasize the connection or generational contrast.

It also employs a reverse narrative that plays out critical scenes without any fanfare, only to go back in a later episode to establish a connection. The best example so far is the "bowl of rice" scene:
  • On episode 3, the main character Sunja in 1989 Japan eats a bowl of rice. She notices that the rice is from Korea and breaks down as it reminds her of her mother and home. The scene is played from the perspective of her grandson Solomon, who is surprised and unable to relate.
  • On episode 4, Sunja's mother in 1931 acquires a bit of rice, which is typically reserved for the Japanese. It is Sunja's wedding day and Sunja and her mother will likely never see each other again. Her mother lovingly and meticulously cooks the rice. To outsiders, it's a humble dinner for the bride and groom. But for Sunja, who has never eaten rice in her life, the meal represents her mother's sacrifice and love. She will never taste Korean rice again until 1989.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Episode 6 steps things up with 3 timelines and more frequent time jumps, each episode is getting crowded. My favorite "book" from the novel was the first book that focused on Sunja's origin and struggles in Japan. With the last episode, stories from the first book is nearing the end.

Nevertheless, the structure makes generational gaps AND generational similarities much more apparent, as well as showing the growth and changes of each character. The next episode focuses on Hansu, the father of Sunja's first son.

residentgalah

macrumors member
May 27, 2021
Canberra, Australia
Easily one of the best shows of the year, surely - great from the first episode and never less than brilliant, but those final three episodes were amazing. Hard to imagine much coming out this year that will top it, and I await the second season with excitement.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I have to say that this is probably one of the best shows I've ever watched. And I get screeners due to my membership in a guild. This is an incredible story and so well told with a fantastic ensemble cast. Even with english subtitles and knowing some of the nuance was lost in translation, you can see in the motion in the body language of the actors. The prod action value was high and speaking in 3 languages could not have been easy, This should be up for many awards next season and deservedly so. It'll get my votes for sure. I'm glad there are some ppl here who are watching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.