Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
So you stayed up all night waiting for that clock to strike midnight to hit that pre-order button, youve gotten your email confirmation and text from your carrier solidifying your spot for a Nov 3rd delivery date.

Phew!! All is good, or is it? If you aren't going to be home to receive your package I highly suggest you opt to pick up your package from UPS because too often, especially lately, people are following UPS delivery trucks around to snag packages. So do yourself a favor, have it mandatory for you to sign for your phone on delivery date or pick it up if you aren't going to be home because one of the worst feelings will be coming home to a "delivered" notification to find your phone is MIA.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
So you stayed up all night waiting for that clock to strike midnight to hit that pre-order button, youve gotten your email confirmation and text from your carrier solidifying your spot for a Nov 3rd delivery date.

Phew!! All is good, or is it? If you aren't going to be home to receive your package I highly suggest you opt to pick up your package from UPS because too often, especially lately, people are following UPS delivery trucks around to snag packages. So do yourself a favor, have it mandatory for you to sign for your phone on delivery date or pick it up if you aren't going to be home because one of the worst feelings will be coming home to a "delivered" notification to find your phone is MIA.

How are they going to snag it if you have to sign for it? Either the driver has the package in hand, or he/she doesn't when you sign for it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In these types of situations with iPhones shipping this time of year, I think it's best to have the phone either held at the carrier hub or sent to a business. Otherwise, Have someone home that can sign for it.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Does having them hold at the hub cause extra processing or delay of 24 hours?

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
How are they going to snag it if you have to sign for it? Either the driver has the package in hand, or he/she doesn't when you sign for it.

That's my point, they can't.... Often people will have UPS/FED EX/USPS leave their packages at their door or wherver in the event they aren't home. I'm saying ditch doing that and make sure someone is home to accept your package. If you already have to sign for yours then you're G2G.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
I always change the order to pick up at the hub. There I’m there at 0800 when they open and no risk of being stolen, lost etc

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
Does having them hold at the hub cause extra processing or delay of 24 hours?

No it shouldn't at all, if anything it helps UPS and their drivers. Let's them know for sure you got your package and can't file a claim for theft and saves them gas, lol I'd call ahead and double check but from all my experiences I never had an issue.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
You have to issue the 'hold for pickup' before the phone passes through the CC nearest you and be able to pick up from there.

If you chose another destination such as a UPS store or etc it will take another 24 hours to process

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
You have to issue the 'hold for pickup' before the phone passes through the CC nearest you and be able to pick up from there.

If you chose another destination such as a UPS store or etc it will take another 24 hours to process

Thanks for clarifying that

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I’m confused....last year it was REQUIRED for a signature. Had to go get it at the UPS hub because nobody was home.
[doublepost=1509139524][/doublepost]
I’m confused....last year it was REQUIRED for a signature. Had to go get it at the UPS hub because nobody was home.
I work nights so I plan to sleep on the couch that day and place a note on the door for the UPS person to ring doorbell, lol! I have 2 coming so I don’t want to miss them! Plus, I live rural so the nearest hub is not close :D

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
I was able to take work off on November 3 so I will be here all day for my package to be delivered. I think my biggest concern at this point is if they never knock or ring the doorbell and just leave an attempted delivery tag on my door. They have done that a few times to me. Very frustrating.

:mad: Bro I feel you there!! Or you receive a delivery notification and they've delivered it to the wrong house! Ugh!

touchme89

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
People are more likely to organise a hit on a van going to an Apple Store with large quantities than some random delivery driver with the hope he might have one or two, so actually, store pick up is dodgier ;)

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
[doublepost=1509139524][/doublepost]
I work nights so I plan to sleep on the couch that day and place a note on the door for the UPS person to ring doorbell, lol! I have 2 coming so I don’t want to miss them! Plus, I live rural so the nearest hub is not close :D

See, I had mine requested to be left in my guest house and sure enough it was left at my front door, no doorbell was rang (ring doorbell and cameras) and no signature required. So I'm not saying that a signature isn't required but mine for sure wasn't necessary last year.

Hahaha, sleeping on the couch peeking out the blinds waiting :D can totally see that.
[doublepost=1509140131][/doublepost]
People are more likely to organise a hit on a van going to an Apple Store with large quantities than some random delivery driver with the hope he might have one or two, so actually, store pick up is dodgier ;)

You'd be surprised how desperate people are and I'm only speaking from experiences shared to me and have witnessed myself. Van hits I haven't seen but breaking into Apple or AT&T/ Verizon stores, I've seen that plenty. Haven't seen any vans being over ran though but I'm sure it has happened.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

What is "CC"?
[doublepost=1509157946][/doublepost]
I was able to take work off on November 3 so I will be here all day for my package to be delivered. I think my biggest concern at this point is if they never knock or ring the doorbell and just leave an attempted delivery tag on my door. They have done that a few times to me. Very frustrating.

Yeah, UPS is good for that. I have always had problems in the past with UPS either not knocking, ringing the doorbell or not even attempting the delivery (and then saying no one was home) or just delivering really late in the day. I prefer having deliveries with Fed Ex. The are more reliable and always deliver early in the day.

Reactions: Aibocyrus

matthewv1227

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Manhattan
For those of you that have had it held at a UPS Store, NOT a CC, I've only used my nearby CC before and not a UPS Store... are they normally early on the delivery truck's route? The reason I can't use a CC this year is because I am in NYC for school and can't seem to find a CC ship to. Or if anyone is in NYC and knows where the CC is, that'd be great too haha

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Can someone please describe the exact steps we need to take to get the package to hold at the hub close to you and when?

Is it safe to say if we do this, then on launch day we can pick it up as early in the morning or as late as we want?

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Can someone please describe the exact steps we need to take to get the package to hold at the hub close to you and when?

Is it safe to say if we do this, then on launch day we can pick it up as early in the morning or as late as we want?
I would like to know the process myself too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.