Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
OK, here's my latest creation. I'm rather proud of it because:

1) I did it all by myself, from the ground up

2) in my eyes, it's a huge improvement over the old page. the old page was actually just an index.php file that I put in every directory that basically parsed that particular directory for images and displayed them one at a time. the new page is one file that parses each directory for images. (plus, the old file was something I downloaded online and modded to fit my needs)

3) thumbnails!

4) I hard-coded the list of location links in the old file, this one uses the directories and displays them dynamically. (i.e. automation!).

I dunno, it's probably not the cleanest and most efficient code, but it works (I think). Check it out and let me know what you think! I'm open to suggestions (preferably before the public release which will probably be Monday).

http://www.brianellisrules.com/stickers/pics/testers.php

(I have yet to put up any inks to it from the main page, so this is the ony way to access it)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
your HRs are left-aligned and i am assuming that they should be centered.

i'm starting to wonder what your pages would look like if you took those background images and instead of having them in the background, put them ABOVE everything else, using png images with alpha transparency (you will need a javascript png-fix to make IE work right which i could give you), but in effect... the images would have that transparent look and show what's beneath them, but you could still see the entire image.

[edit] on second thought... that would only work on the pages with pictures, and in that case, the transparency would look horrible.[/edit]

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
your HRs are left-aligned and i am assuming that they should be centered.

i'm starting to wonder what your pages would look like if you took those background images and instead of having them in the background, put them ABOVE everything else, using png images with alpha transparency (you will need a javascript png-fix to make IE work right which i could give you), but in effect... the images would have that transparent look and show what's beneath them, but you could still see the entire image.

[edit] on second thought... that would only work on the pages with pictures, and in that case, the transparency would look horrible.[/edit]
They are centered... I'm pretty sure it's just a bug in Safari. They look fine in IE and Mozilla Firebird.

Thanks for taking a look though. Anyone else?

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Haha, thanks... I thought it was good to go, but there's already been complaints.... James said there needs to be a 'sort by date added' feature.

It sounds simple enough, but that's probably going to take some significant effort on my part... I don't know if I'm up for it (yet).

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by brianellisrules
Haha, thanks... I thought it was good to go, but there's already been complaints.... James said there needs to be a 'sort by date added' feature.

It sounds simple enough, but that's probably going to take some significant effort on my part... I don't know if I'm up for it (yet).

i'm not complaining... just saying

i think you could get away with just putting the newest ones first... that way you can just go through them from beginning to end and see where you left off last time

eventually you're going to want the site to read my mind as far as what i want to see next.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Site looked great for me in Netscape 7.1. I really like the sticker project. Oh, and it said that there are stickers in Highland Heights, KY. Where?!? I live in Highland Heights and would gladly help the sticker project along there. I can even send you an updated photo of it, if you wish.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Originally posted by tomf87
Site looked great for me in Netscape 7.1. I really like the sticker project. Oh, and it said that there are stickers in Highland Heights, KY. Where?!? I live in Highland Heights and would gladly help the sticker project along there. I can even send you an updated photo of it, if you wish.
Wow, that's awesome!!

Let's see... I was driving down from Ohio on the beltway (that goes around Cincinnati) there... what is it, like 275 or something? I took the first exit... there was a college near there or something? I pulled off at a gas station and filled up (I don't remember which gas station... it's right across the street from the entrance to whatever school is there... ) I "saw" a sticker on one of the gas pumps (the far one, next to the carwash... the sticker is probably long gone though).

Then a bit further down the street on the right was a CVS or Rite Aid or similar store... I "saw" one on the pay phone outside there. I imagine it's probably gone by now too.

If you want some stickers, just give me your address and I'll hook you up. Pictures would be great too! Thanks!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Wow, that's awesome!!

Let's see... I was driving down from Ohio on the beltway (that goes around Cincinnati) there... what is it, like 275 or something? I took the first exit... there was a college near there or something? I pulled off at a gas station and filled up (I don't remember which gas station... it's right across the street from the entrance to whatever school is there... ) I "saw" a sticker on one of the gas pumps (the far one, next to the carwash... the sticker is probably long gone though).

Then a bit further down the street on the right was a CVS or Rite Aid or similar store... I "saw" one on the pay phone outside there. I imagine it's probably gone by now too.

If you want some stickers, just give me your address and I'll hook you up. Pictures would be great too! Thanks!

Awesome! I-275 is the beltway, and the exit is US 27 Alexandria. The gas station is BP at the entrance to Northern Kentucky University. Now get this... The drug store is Walgreens, at the end of my street! I'm going to take the digital camera and see if I can locate them. How long ago were they seen?

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Originally posted by tomf87
Awesome! I-275 is the beltway, and the exit is US 27 Alexandria. The gas station is BP at the entrance to Northern Kentucky University. Now get this... The drug store is Walgreens, at the end of my street! I'm going to take the digital camera and see if I can locate them. How long ago were they seen?
haha, wow!

hmmm... it had to be either Thanksgiving or Christmas... I'm guessing Thanksgiving. They're probably gone, but it's worth a shot.

I thought about going around the campus, but I didn't have much time during that little trip. Maybe next time I'm in Ohio, I'll be able to spend more time there... :)

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
haha, wow!

hmmm... it had to be either Thanksgiving or Christmas... I'm guessing Thanksgiving. They're probably gone, but it's worth a shot.

I thought about going around the campus, but I didn't have much time during that little trip. Maybe next time I'm in Ohio, I'll be able to spend more time there... :)

I just had to fill up with gas this morning at the BP, and sorry to say, it's a no go there. I'll swing by Walgreens tonight.

The campus is small at NKU, so 1 hour tops would cover it. Also, past Walgreens on the right is a little strip mall complete with Arby's, Taco Bell, Kroger, etc....

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Ah, that's too bad... The only one I've seen stick around for any length of time was the one above the door to the Toys R Us in Times Square. Even ones put on things like newspaper stands aren't there for long...

Did you want me to send you some stickers? I don't think I got any requests if you put one in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.