Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
I've read a bit about pageouts and RAM/OSX performance on MacRumors, but what I haven't been able to determine is how many pageouts are too many?

For the last 3 hours, I have been using a Dual 1.8 with 1.5GB RAM and have had the following pageins/pageouts according to Activity Monitor: 28883/1184.

Is this an indication that I need more RAM? Is there some type of rule or formula to determine how much I need based on the number of these pageouts?

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
In all reality, you want zero pageouts, however, yours are so low I wouldn't really worry. You must BARELY be using more than the 1.5gb of ram you have. What do you use your PM for? I have a dual 2ghz PM and 1gb of ram and zero pageouts. However, the most hardcore thing I've done is safari, firstclass, iChat, iTunes and iMovie/iDVD open and working at the same time. I think once I get Photoshop on there are start using that I might get a few pageouts. That and if I ever get Final Cut Pro I'm sure I will. But, thats neither here nor there since I have what I have and thats all I'll have for a while.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
ShermDog said:
I've read a bit about pageouts and RAM/OSX performance on MacRumors, but what I haven't been able to determine is how many pageouts are too many?

For the last 3 hours, I have been using a Dual 1.8 with 1.5GB RAM and have had the following pageins/pageouts according to Activity Monitor: 28883/1184.

Is this an indication that I need more RAM? Is there some type of rule or formula to determine how much I need based on the number of these pageouts?

generally you really only care about pageouts for doing quite intensive application and working with large files which you are not. in other words, you spent to much money on ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.