Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi,

Using Pages, I have the Check Spelling option turned on. As ever there are words that come up like foreign names which are spelled correctly but are not recognised within the inbuilt dictionary.

That makes sense and of course they are underlined in red, however the question I have is what you can do that is the equivalent of Add Word To Dictionary in Mac OS X so that they are no longer flagged.

All I can see you can do is search for alternatives which is not relevant here. I also don't want to turn off Check Spelling in case I do spell a conventional word wrongly.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Craig

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Hi,

Using Pages, I have the Check Spelling option turned on. As ever there are words that come up like foreign names which are spelled correctly but are not recognised within the inbuilt dictionary.

That makes sense and of course they are underlined in red, however the question I have is what you can do that is the equivalent of Add Word To Dictionary in Mac OS X so that they are no longer flagged.

All I can see you can do is search for alternatives which is not relevant here. I also don't want to turn off Check Spelling in case I do spell a conventional word wrongly.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Craig

I am pretty sure that editable dictionaries are coming in OS 4. (Sometime in June or July). Until then, you're stuck, sorry.

BTW - in future can you make sure that thread titles are something useful like 'editing dictionaries in pages' not just 'pages question'. Thanks.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
There is no current Add to Dictionary option. However, iPhone OS 4.0 will add this feature and allow you to edit your custom dictionary in the Settings.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I am pretty sure that editable dictionaries are coming in OS 4. (Sometime in June or July). Until then, you're stuck, sorry.

BTW - in future can you make sure that thread titles are something useful like 'editing dictionaries in pages' not just 'pages question'. Thanks.

OS 4 doesn't come to the iPad till October.

stil

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
A little work around while you wait.

the spell check recognizes words from your contacts list. that's why surnames and company names etc are not underlined.

You can add a contact, call it maybe Dictionary, then in the company line add words that the spell check doesn't like. and they wont be flagged anymore. its good for elaborate swear words too. ;-)

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
A little work around while you wait.

the spell check recognizes words from your contacts list. that's why surnames and company names etc are not underlined.

You can add a contact, call it maybe Dictionary, then in the company line add words that the spell check doesn't like. and they wont be flagged anymore. its good for elaborate swear words too. ;-)

That's quite clever, stil. Good work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.