Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, recently I play video games but after 2 weeks of playing using a Microsoft Xbox Elite Controller, I got pains in the forearm and shoulder. Anybody has such experience? I guess it might be due to constant pressing of RB and RT buttons to kill monsters.

Saw a doctor but he just told me to take pain killer. Now I feel pain even using a mouse when using my PC. Does using the latest Magic Trackpad help to ease the wrist pain or avoid further damage to my wrist? I suppose light touch of the pad may require less force than pressing a button on my Logitech MX Master mouse. On the product page Apple does not mention compatibility with Windows OS. Is the latest Magic Trackpad compatible with Windows OS and Windows PC?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Ideally, you'd be using a trackball mouse to alleviate carpal tunnel symptoms and arm pain, but I think a trackpad could help so long as you made sure to really only move your fingers instead of your wrist.

There's rudimentary support for the Magic Trackpad with Windows, and a driver available for brining it closer in compatibility to macOS.

Might just be worth testing a trackpad app onto your phone before spending over $100. If that doesn't help with wrist pain, I don't see how a different capacitive rectangle would.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Hi, recently I play video games but after 2 weeks of playing using a Microsoft Xbox Elite Controller, I got pains in the forearm and shoulder. Anybody has such experience? I guess it might be due to constant pressing of RB and RT buttons to kill monsters.

Saw a doctor but he just told me to take pain killer. Now I feel pain even using a mouse when using my PC. Does using the latest Magic Trackpad help to ease the wrist pain or avoid further damage to my wrist? I suppose light touch of the pad may require less force than pressing a button on my Logitech MX Master mouse. On the product page Apple does not mention compatibility with Windows OS. Is the latest Magic Trackpad compatible with Windows OS and Windows PC?
I can't advise about the Magic Trackpad, but I had severe shoulder pain using my DS4 controller. Although it took a while to accept this fact, even doing stretches before and after, ice packs and heat, the only relief was to stop using it. It took several months before the pain was gone. I am able to play pain-free using a keyboard and mouse.

Edited to add: I don't feel that ibuprofen or acetaminophen use is the right answer. It may give temporary relief that day, but the problem will still exist.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Not enough info here.

I definitely don’t think ‘painkillers’ is a necessity for such a minor nuisance. Quite frankly, I don’t even know why your doctor would say that, when there’s plenty of other remedies to consider before opting that route.

As for shoulder pain, I would question your position how you’re actually using the controller. (I.E.-Are you leaning, is your forearm/shoulder in a more rested state on a cushion of some sort, are you laying down when gaming,ect.) How long are you using the controller before the pain actually sets in?

Also, have you tried warming up? As in, maybe do some side body weight shoulder lateral raises to loosen any tension. Also, you didn’t elaborate where the pain is coming from the shoulder, like near the rotator cuff or in the AC joint?

Try a forearm stretch with a resistance band.

If I had to make a guess, sometimes when you introduce new motions that you’re not used to, like repetitive motion, discomfort can follow that. But there’s plenty of options to explore before I would ingest ‘Painkillers.’ To Me, that’s not an appropriate answer, especially coming from your doctor. He should be working with you to avoid that at all costs until you’ve exhausted other options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.