Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Vienna
Hi Guys,

I recently got a new iPhone (Xs) and wanted to pair my Apple Watch (Series 3 LTE) with it. Therefore I made a backup from my old iPhone (7) as usual. After unpairing the Watch with the iPhone 7 and wanted to restore the Watch from the backup, however, it Shows me only backups from 2018?
I tried this already multiple times and Always get the same result.

What's interessting though: when I then repair the phone with my old iPhone (7) it shows me all the recent backups
This is realy frustrating and I hope someone can shine a light on this issue

Btw. all devices involved have the most recent software updates

Thank you

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Vienna
Did you restore your new phone from the latest backup?

yes, I restored the new phone (Xs) by just putting it next to the old one (they are still both connected to the same Apple ID) and it "magically" transfered the data to the new one. However, since then I wasn't able to pair the Watch with the new Phone because of the backup issue

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
yes, I restored the new phone (Xs) by just putting it next to the old one (they are still both connected to the same Apple ID) and it "magically" transfered the data to the new one. However, since then I wasn't able to pair the Watch with the new Phone because of the backup issue
I forgot to add, if you had unpaired before you did the backup. Because AFAIK Watch backup are only created when unpairing.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Vienna
I just did a google. Apple has guide. Better read what they recommend.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205189

I have read the support page before.

"Unpair your Apple Watch from your old iPhone, then pair it with your new iPhone. When asked, restore your Apple Watch from a backup. Make sure that your iPhone and Apple Watch are up to date, otherwise you might not see your backup in the list."

my problem is, that I only see backups from 6 months ago (and as I said: my devices are all on the same Software Version)

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I have read the support page before.

"Unpair your Apple Watch from your old iPhone, then pair it with your new iPhone. When asked, restore your Apple Watch from a backup. Make sure that your iPhone and Apple Watch are up to date, otherwise you might not see your backup in the list."

my problem is, that I only see backups from 6 months ago (and as I said: my devices are all on the same Software Version)
I highlighted the next sentence. Did you do step 1,2 and 3 as written?

At least something is not right. To me it sounds like your restored from an older backup.

That said, I never upgraded my iPhone. But went through 4 series 4 apple watches due to bad displays :-(

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Vienna
I highlighted the next sentence. Did you do step 1,2 and 3 as written?

At least something is not right. To me it sounds like your restored from an older backup.

That said, I never upgraded my iPhone. But went through 4 series 4 apple watches due to bad displays :-(

As I said before: my two phones both had the same software Version and the Apple Watch is on 5.1.3
I created a backup from my old phone while it was still paired to the watch

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
It doesn't sound like you restored from the backup, as written in Apple's instructions, but did a transfer. What difference it makes, if it make one, I must google.

Edit: Did a quick google. Seen a few other guides. They all restore from backup.

Last edited:

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Vienna
It doesn't sound like you restored from the backup, as written in Apple's instructions, but did a transfer. What difference it makes, if it make one, I must google.

Yes, I did a Transfer, but wasn't asked to set up the watch. Even Apple states one can set up the watch manually later on. I can do that, but not from the most recent backup because it simply doesn't show up

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Yes, I did a Transfer, but wasn't asked to set up the watch. Even Apple states one can set up the watch manually later on. I can do that, but not from the most recent backup because it simply doesn't show up
I can only guess restoring from backup instead of transfer makes a difference and the guides instruct this for a reason. In that case I also do think Apple's should have noted that a watch was paired during transfer and asked or warned about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.