Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I did it using all freeware with Handbrake, iMovie, and iDVD.

I ripped the DVD with Handbrake, imported it into iMovie and set my chapter marks in it, then created new menus and burned it with iDVD.

It wasn't perfect, but it was better than passable and free.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
What the second poster is referring to is region coding, not NTSC vs PAL. Region codes are simple to strip, hover the differences between NTSC and PAL are much more imbeded into the movie. PAL runs at 25FPS at a res of 720x525. NTSC is either 23.97 or 30fps at 720x480. A lot of dvd players will work with both as long as the region codes don't interfere, but some wont. I just wanted to clarify.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
emaja said:

I ripped the DVD with Handbrake, imported it into iMovie and set my chapter marks in it, then created new menus and burned it with iDVD.

Is there any software I can purchase to make it easier?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Xephian said:
Is there any software I can purchase to make it easier?

I didn't see anything that was affordable that would do it easily, meaning a straight copy from PAL to NTSC. As jimsowden pointed out, there are a great number of differences between the two formats, from resolution to frames per second.

All I can advise you to do is Google away until you find something. I could be wrong, but I believe that Final Cut will do it, but you will still need to reconstruct menus and such.

It is not a quick and easy process. It took me several days to figure it out and do it, but it can be done with free tools that will do almost as good of a job as the expensive ones. It all depends on what you think is a reasonable investment of time and money.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
jimsowden said:
What the second poster is referring to is region coding, not NTSC vs PAL. Region codes are simple to strip, hover the differences between NTSC and PAL are much more imbeded into the movie. PAL runs at 25FPS at a res of 720x525. NTSC is either 23.97 or 30fps at 720x480. A lot of dvd players will work with both as long as the region codes don't interfere, but some wont. I just wanted to clarify.

Just a tweak of clarification. PAL is 25fps running on a 50hz cycle w/a res of 720*576 and NTSC is 29.97fps running on a 60hz cycle w/a res of 720*480.

Lethal

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
LethalWolfe said:
Just a tweak of clarification. PAL is 25fps running on a 50hz cycle w/a res of 720*576 and NTSC is 29.97fps running on a 60hz cycle w/a res of 720*480.
Lethal

Further tweak. NTSC-DV is 720x480. NTSC-601 is 720x486.:)

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
emaja said:

So far, this seems to be the best solution. Except I used Toast instead of iDVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.