Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
I know some have asked so just wanted to make a small postI have managed to fix the library issues affecting Pale Moon from opening, and it now launches on 10.5.8 but is not rendering pages…its progress atleast as it was crashing before and not staying open… I have not tested it on Tiger, nor will I. I'll provide what I have, and it's up to those who want to play with it to try to get it working, as I don't use Tiger. Additionally, I have the MacPorts Netsurf stuff working, but there's a weird CSS issue I'm still working on if enabled on Tiger and Leopard. Overall, making progress... I am committed to getting Pale Moon working. And it wouldn't have been possible without all those who have contributed to MacPorts. You guys are absolute legends. I know I said I would help fix some of the macports stuff on tiger but at this point my focus is on leopard and snow leopard beta as its networking stack is newer. Thank you!

Edit**Direct Message Moonchild**
Some have privately messaged me and asked if Moonchild, the developer of Pale Moon, has reached out with a signature cease and desist. My response is quite simple: he is not the original developer of the code that comprises the browser. It has been a community-driven, designed, developed, and tested project by Mozilla and its community long before his time. In other words, he can take his cease and desist letters that he sends to Linux and other third-party distros and shove them straight up wherever hole he came out of. I mean it in the nicest possible way. Mozilla always intended it to be free, open, and available to all.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's not the browser or the code it originally came from that's the issue. It's the branding. He owns the "Pale Moon" branding and icons. He also owns any code he and his devs have added to the browser that isn't "borrowed" from Mozilla. If you use the PM branding he certainly can request a cease and desist. It takes a measly 20 minutes to rebrand any browser with a new name and icons. I suggest you follow the MPL and rebrand it before you release it for any "unsupported" platforms. That was the whole issue with NetBSD a few years ago. They modified the code and released it using the Pale Moon branding without consent. All they had to do was follow the rules and none of that would have happened. Heck in the PM source they even included generic "New Moon" branding that anybody could freely use without issue, yet NetBSD didn't.

Windows 7 - 11, Linux, and MacOS 10.7 and up are the only "officially" supported platforms that are built by them and allowed to use the PM branding. Anything else needs approval. Other builds for obscure platforms should use the generic branding, or their own custom branding.

Examples:
Arctic Fox is based off PM27 and uses it's own branding. No issues.
InterWeb is based off Basilisk and uses it's own branding. No issues.
WaterFox is based off current FireFox and uses it's own branding. No issues.
SeaLion is based off of UXP and SeaMonkey and uses it's own branding. No issues.
Follow the rules of the MPL/GPL etc, and nobody will bitch. It's that simple.

Cheers

Last edited:

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
That's not entirely accurate. And never has been. Personally, I'm glad it's not as big a deal as it use to be.more

As someone who used to work at Mozilla, I can tell you without hesitation that its base was always meant to be free. As Wicknix said, it comes down to branding. However, that's not exactly what I was referring to. Others have messaged me, stating that Moonchild Productions, a musical production company btw, has been extending beyond the GPL licensing, harassing other users with false threats. I've actually spoken to developers who are still employed at Mozilla, and they've encountered similar issues. That's why I posted this. I absolutely understand branding and rebranding, but anything that extends beyond that becomes an unacceptable situation. As the kind block of cheese fellow pointed out above, there have been conflicts with branding in the past. I understand that and have been developing all the way back to my time working on Mosaic. Anyway, thanks! I should have probably clarified what I meant. I have no intention of releasing compiled binaries, and I'm just going to provide what I have, letting the community do with it as they wish. I'll maintain my own personal builds that I may or may not post—honestly, probably not, because I don't want to commit to a long-term project where people expect a release schedule. It's just not my space….what you and cameron have done I applaud as I could never commit to a release cycle…this is for me just a hobby to tinker with old stuff

Last edited:

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
As someone who used to work at Mozilla, I can tell you without hesitation that its base was always meant to be free. As Wicknix said, it comes down to branding. However, that's not exactly what I was referring to. Others have messaged me, stating that Moonchild Productions, a musical production company btw, has been extending beyond the GPL licensing, harassing other users with false threats. I've actually spoken to developers who are still employed at Mozilla, and they've encountered similar issues. That's why I posted this. I absolutely understand branding and rebranding, but anything that extends beyond that becomes an unacceptable situation. As the kind block of cheese fellow pointed out above, there have been conflicts with branding in the past. I understand that and have been developing all the way back to my time working on Mosaic. Anyway, thanks! I should have probably clarified what I meant. I have no intention of releasing compiled binaries, and I'm just going to provide what I have, letting the community do with it as they wish. I'll maintain my own personal builds that I may or may not post—honestly, probably not, because I don't want to commit to a long-term project where people expect a release schedule. It's just not my space….what you and cameron have done I applaud as I could never commit to a release cycle…this is for me just a hobby to tinker with old stuff
Fair enough, I didn't realize the depths of the issues.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'll maintain my own personal builds that I may or may not post—honestly, probably not, because I don't want to commit to a long-term project where people expect a release schedule.
If you get it working i would supply a binary anyway. You dont have to maintain it. Just having 1 working build would give more life to those machines than any other ppc browser and you'd be a hero. ;)

I don't really follow a release schedule myself. I get busy with life too. I just upload new builds when it's convenient. Figure if i'm going to build them for my own use i might as well share.

Cheers.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
As someone who used to work at Mozilla, I can tell you without hesitation that its base was always meant to be free. As Wicknix said, it comes down to branding. However, that's not exactly what I was referring to. Others have messaged me, stating that Moonchild Productions, a musical production company btw,<snip>
If that's the case, I wonder if Iron Maiden can sue Moonchild Productions for using one of their song titles as a music production company, as Apple Corps (The Beatles record label) did to Apple Computer back in the day, due to Apple Computer incorporating music- production abilities into Macs... 😁

I'm joking, of course, but it would be one of those humorous ironic moments.

Reactions: wicknix

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
If that's the case, I wonder if Iron Maiden can sue Moonchild Productions for using one of their song titles as a music production company, as Apple Corps (The Beatles record label) did to Apple Computer back in the day, due to Apple Computer incorporating music- production abilities into Macs... 😁

I'm joking, of course, but it would be one of those humorous ironic moments.
So, funny story, it seems they're maybe a little litigious when it comes to a matter of names.

• Haha
Reactions: swamprock

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I know some have asked so just wanted to make a small postI have managed to fix the library issues affecting Pale Moon from opening, and it now launches on 10.5.8 but is not rendering pages…its progress atleast as it was crashing before and not staying open… I have not tested it on Tiger, nor will I. I'll provide what I have, and it's up to those who want to play with it to try to get it working, as I don't use Tiger. Additionally, I have the MacPorts Netsurf stuff working, but there's a weird CSS issue I'm still working on if enabled on Tiger and Leopard. Overall, making progress... I am committed to getting Pale Moon working. And it wouldn't have been possible without all those who have contributed to MacPorts. You guys are absolute legends. I know I said I would help fix some of the macports stuff on tiger but at this point my focus is on leopard and snow leopard beta as its networking stack is newer. Thank you!

Edit**Direct Message Moonchild**
Some have privately messaged me and asked if Moonchild, the developer of Pale Moon, has reached out with a signature cease and desist. My response is quite simple: he is not the original developer of the code that comprises the browser. It has been a community-driven, designed, developed, and tested project by Mozilla and its community long before his time. In other words, he can take his cease and desist letters that he sends to Linux and other third-party distros and shove them straight up wherever hole he came out of. I mean it in the nicest possible way. Mozilla always intended it to be free, open, and available to all.

If you could, please submit the PR with a fix to
and

Or share patches, it would be of great help. (Discussion threads on AF and WS.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.