Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Oh yes. Been hiking on Grandfather Mntn. many times. If it wouldn't hijack the thread, I'd show you lots of pictures from up there. I'll post them once in awhile over in the Pic of the Day thread. I have posted a few of them already. The bear sitting on his haunches, Lake Price, and todays panorama. My wife and I hiked Grandfather Mntn for the first time when my 19 year old was in her belly. Been our favorite family get away ever since. White water rafting, hiking and Mntn climbing, and caving. So much fun stuff to do up there. I grew up in the Upper Appalachian Plateau. We love the mountains and that is where my wife and I will have our ashes spread.
you can make a dedicated post to share those if you like, and give some back story.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Oh yes. Been hiking on Grandfather Mntn. many times. If it wouldn't hijack the thread, I'd show you lots of pictures from up there. I'll post them once in awhile over in the Pic of the Day thread. I have posted a few of them already. The bear sitting on his haunches, Lake Price, and todays panorama. My wife and I hiked Grandfather Mntn for the first time when my 19 year old was in her belly. Been our favorite family get away ever since. White water rafting, hiking and Mntn climbing, and caving. So much fun stuff to do up there. I grew up in the Northern Appalachian Plateau. We love the mountains and that is where my wife and I will have our ashes spread.

you can make a dedicated post to share those if you like, and give some back story.
The intent of the thread is a dedicated location for stitched photography. Molly's suggestion is excellent, or also great additions to the POTD thread.

BTW I always appreciate someone taking an extra minute or two, to include a related short story or location info with their image.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The intent of the thread is a dedicated location for stitched photography. Molly's suggestion is excellent, or also great additions to the POTD thread.

BTW I always appreciate someone taking an extra minute or two, to include a related short story or location info with their image.
Pretty boring story but one that happens to me a lot. Went out with a 105mm macro lens. Liked the wide view so stitched a few together. Lovely 14-24mm sat at home gathering dust as well!
_DSC8417-Pano.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Killantringan Lighthouse, 7 image stitch that needed quite a bit of warping in PS due to a poorly levelled tripod head! :S
All shots were: 1/8s / f11 / ISO 160 and I didn't need filters.
I took the power lines out, which I know some people frown upon. I think it looks better without them. I'll post it in the critique part of the forum for slaughtering D:

Killantringan Lighthouse small PL.png

crf8

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2017
Killantringan Lighthouse, 7 image stitch that needed quite a bit of warping in PS due to a poorly levelled tripod head! :S
All shots were: 1/8s / f11 / ISO 160 and I didn't need filters.
I took the power lines out, which I know some people frown upon. I think it looks better without them. I'll post it in the critique part of the forum for slaughtering D:

View attachment 1997510

I hate power lines !! Good job

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
An attempted remake of a pan I posted earlier. This time I had the Lumix camera. However the wind was in my face at about 70KPH causing my eyes to tear. Since the lighting was not all that great I gave it up at 3 frames. Having the levels guide does make it much easier to shoot these without a tripod.

Whaleback_2.jpg

Last edited:

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Glad to see others posting, should not need to say this but as always please only post your own images.

I can remember attempting to do film panoramas in the dark room or by pasting them together and copying. Very tedious and the results fell way short of what I can do with a simple point and shoot in the digital world.

BTW Molly, as long as the lens has little barrel distortion and you allow generous overlap no reason not do them in landscape mode.

Get a panoramic film camera and you can avoid all that darkroom work. Not tedious at all.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
hey welcome back! i see you on IG but haven't seen you here in a while.

Thank you. Life has been a bit too busy in the last few months. That’s why I’m less visible on the forums. Logged in after months to be honest.

Glad to see all the familiar faces though.

Hope you’re doing great.

Reactions: kenoh and mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.