Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Not legally. Get yourself to a store if you're lucky enough to live near one. I sure wish I could've bought it via a download, too, but Apple's not going there any time soon.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by ArchiStudentG5
I wonder if the store that SELLS Apple products around here will have it. Err... the university will have it I guess. Can I get the G5 discount AND the edu discount?
By G5 discount, I assume you mean the Up To Date program that gets it to you for $20 if you bought a G5 without Panther. In which case, the answer is no; as far as I know you always have to go through Apple's website and order the upgrade online if you want the cheap pricing. That's the boat I'm in, but so it goes.

Maybe you know someone else who is planning to buy a copy... in which case you could order your upgrade copy off Apple's site, but install a locally bought copy legitimately while you're waiting for it to ship.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by Makosuke
Maybe you know someone else who is planning to buy a copy... in which case you could order your upgrade copy off Apple's site, but install a locally bought copy legitimately while you're waiting for it to ship.
As long as you follow through, that seems like a great way to do it!

Panther Blue

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
US of A
I wonder if the store that SELLS Apple products around here will have it. Err... the university will have it I guess. Can I get the G5 discount AND the edu discount?

You can only get the G5 discount online, I don't know about edu...... and you can almost never combine them... it'd be free.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
you can't combine 2 discounts.

and you can't download it free. go to apple store, or to apple.com and get it from there.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Sure, Megabyte Computer Center will have it.

Ask iJon--it's his parents' store.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Panther Blue
Actually, you can. And I know where. But I ordered it anyway, b/c I don't believe in stealing things as big as OS's.

Don't you wonder whether it's been sabotaged, though? ;)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by bousozoku
Don't you wonder whether it's been sabotaged, though? ;)
That's exactly why I'm highly wary of downloading something major like an OS on the sly, even if I'm buying it legit anyway (in which case it would theoretically be ok to do, same as downloading an MP3 of a song on a CD you own instead of ripping it yourself).

Yes, you might just get your hands on it sooner, but there's a good chance you'll end up with a mislabled developer build or much worse, and for my OS, that's not even close to worth the risk.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's especially susceptible since the whole Darwin core can is open source and can be easily modified, then made to look like XNU without the downloader realising the differences.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Originally posted by Panther Blue
Actually, you can. And I know where. But I ordered it anyway, b/c I don't believe in stealing things as big as OS's.

well yes, you can download it free. like you can download free M$ office, photoshop, soundtrack, every possible application that costs a lot of money.

but OS X is not linux. you can't LEGALLY have the right to download it. you CAN download soundtrack, panther, photoshop, M$ paid programs, whatever warez you want, but a downloaded 10.3 is not a LEGAL version, it is warez.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
ADC members can download Panther legally.

Exactly.

BUT: If he was ADC, PAID ADC, he would know where to get it free.

And not all ADCs get it free, e.g. I'm ADC and got just a paid version of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.