Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sickg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Hello. If anyone can help me out with a solution to this craziness it woudl be greatly appreciated. I ran Norton Disk Doctor to check the system (was sluggish) of course it found problems and soemhow in the course of fixing them, the hard drives (there are 2 internal) have reverted back to the partions they were divided into BEFORE i purchased the computer. I tried to recover, and all I got was the previous owner's files. i haven't seen even one of my files. . .any ideas what I can do? THANKS

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....looks like you have learned the hard way as to just how bad Norton Utilities for Mac has become. what used to be a great utility package back in the OS 7, 8, 9 days has become a drive-trasher.

I would suggest that getting a copy of Diskwarrior is your best bet - it should be in every Mac users toolbox (instead of Norton, although they do different tasks)...you'll need to start from a separate volume or cd in order to see if diskwarrior works in your situation.

A long shot, but try rebooting while holding the option key and see what bootable volumes show up.....

Lastly, once fixed up, put that Norton program somewhere where you will never be tempted to run it again.....oh yeah!

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
What Duff-man said.

Panther + Norton = Cr@p

Take that Norton stuff off your Mac, and throw the disks as far as you can down the street.

Sorry this happened to you.

sickg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Thanks for your help/suggestions. I talked to Norton tech support - they were amused and dumb enough to tell me. I told them I found nothing amusing about a crappy product that helped me lose all of my files.

Anyway, I've talked to a guy who thinks he can manage to find my files, so we'll see . . . AND i've ordered disk warrior for the future

wish me luck & have a happy new year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.