Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcharm

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
New York
I'm just curious about how many of you have installed Panther on an iBook 800, how you installed it, whether you've had any problems or not, and how it's running. Thanks!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I installed in on my 12" last nite. Did an Archive & Install (for good measure) and it's running smooth as silk.

Much faster than Jaguar.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Faster but not hugely so. That loser slow hard drive in it just makes everything crawl all the time. Great to have fast user switching though because both me and my partner routinely use his iBook.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
just put it on my 700 ibook. the screen draw rate seems a great deal faster. Also I nitice a couple of nice new features in the cocoa apps, like mousewheelscrolling without having to activate the window. Been waiting for that very much.

just installing xCode... it tells me eta: -1hour 14 minutes...

hmmmm MINUS one hour? OhOh....

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I've got it on a 700mhz iBook. No problems. It boots a whole lot faster. I was thinking Expose would be a resource hog and run jerky on the iBook but it's silky smooth.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Runs real smooth and fast, all except for window resizing obviously:rolleyes:

Menus much faster, faster app switching (cmd-tab is a delight), Exposé rocks... A real happy camper here.

No problems installing (update) but he first boot was *real* long. Better boot time now but not as fast as 10.2.8.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I installed clean. It worked fine, no problems.

Panther is faster - but not lightlening faster. Good speed increase. Its a lot smoother than Jaguar.

XCode - not as good as IntelliJ standards, but good non the less.

Expose, a function I didn't think I'd use much - I have used it, its worth the upgrade.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
iBook 700

Had problems getting the Pather 1 disc to install, repeatedly asked me to RESTART. Cleaned disc and permissions first, still had problems. Evenutally, install took and was smooth. Faster than Jaguar on iBook, but not much.

:cool: Install on G4 dual 1GHz was without incident, smooth, and is now lightning fast - must be specifically designed to take advantage of dual processors. Everything is more responsive and faster than Jaguar!

Print Center is now Printer Setup Utility and system apparently puts copies of listed printers in the Dock for us, which function like OS9 Desk Top Printers, but drop/PRINT doesn't result in opening of application - which was a very pleasant time saving SURPRISE! :)

Good upgrade, appears to be even more stable than Jaguar, which I liked. :D

:( I created a problem on my iBook by upgrading to latest versions of http://www.Unsanity.com programs (Labels X, Window Shade, & Apple Menu) which caused crashing conflict for all MS Office apps - REAL BAD. Problem went away when I UnInstalled all UnSanity programs and REMOVED their PREFERENCES in User:Library:preferences. UnSanity is in process of rewrite for 10.3 - confident they will resolve issues.

PANTHER Upgrade is worth cost, it will just take a little time getting used to new features, a few changes and re-location of old items. "Find" search works well.

PANTHER OS X 10.3: Highly Recommended ;)
So FAST, my G4 DP feels more like a G5, HONEST!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.