Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi there,

My current corral of Macs has a 1 GHz PBG4, 350 MHz Blue G3, and a dead 266 MHz PBG3 (Wall Street). I'm planning on getting Panther RSN, and I believe it will be great on the PBG4. But has anyone here tried it on older machines, i.e. G3s? I'm looking at rotating the PBG3 out to either an employee of my publishing company or a friend in need, and I don't want to burden them with a slow OS.

OS X 10.0.4 was slow, almost to the point of unusable (to me) on the PBG3. I didn't get 10.1 or .2 on there before its power supply croaked, but anticipate they'd be slightly better. Perhaps a CPU upgrade would aide it?

Thanks,
haaz.

Taavi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
I just installed a copy on my dad's old iBook (SE) 300mhz and 192mb ram and it is nothing to laugh at in the least. I'm very impressed.

chrisnturkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Istanbul
older macs

Hi,

I will shortly be installing Panther on my Powermac G3 350. I live in Istanbul so I have to wait a few more days for my copy ... I will let you know how it goes. Have no fear though! Itunes says it needs a 400 Mgtz processor and it works fine on my older machine which, in general, works so well for everything that I can't decide when to upgrade.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.