Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buseman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2002
Pictures and movies (and actual builds) of Jaguar got leaked in December 2001, remember? It was labelled 6b11 and was very premature. Developers didn't get their hands on it before April however.

At this stage Panther should be almost feature complete so the big partners (adobe, ms, macromedia etc.) must have had something to say during the development cyclus.

Even if normal developers don't get any builds of Panther before WWDC, does not mean that it hasn't been seeded outside of Cupertino, right?

Or maybe Apple has stopped doing these earth shattering changes between every release that developers like so much. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by buseman
At this stage Panther should be almost feature complete so the big partners (adobe, ms, macromedia etc.) must have had something to say during the development cyclus.

Even if normal developers don't get any builds of Panther before WWDC, does not mean that it hasn't been seeded outside of Cupertino, right?

Based on what I've heard - as of Monday, Panther has not been seeded anywhere.

arn

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: questions ???

Originally posted by couch
hi folks !

unfortunately i don't have OS X, as i am working on an old g3 (300 mhz) and people say it is to slow for os x. so i can't compare the screenshots of the panthermenue to "proven" screenshots from a "real" system.

but i saw the scrennshots and i have to questions. see my pics.

1) see the 3 menue items. in every item the first word is "New" and the next word is beginning with a letter that has a vertical line: "File","Folder", and "Pile".
The words File and Folder of the first two items are exactly left alignend. But the word Pile is shifted one pixel to the right. Is this possible in the "real" system or is it a evidence of possible fake?

2) see the pattern of grey lines on the background of the menue.
it is a regular pattern. same distances of lines.
in the highlighted menue item this pattern is "not right" (sorry for my english - i am german).
there also is a shift of one pixel.

maybe i am totaly wrong - maybe not!

your comments, please !

couch

Well, while I don't think that these observations are conclusive, I think that they lead me to a 'smoking gun'. I'm now prepared to say that these are definitively fakes. Here are my thoughts on the matter...

The offset of the P's vertical line could well be an anti-aliasing quirk. How the system chooses to render each character differs, so the fact the both F and P start with a vertical line is not enough to make any definite judgements about this.

As to the pattern glitch, there isn't one. The pattern is slightly different on each line of text. (The pattern is regular but it doesn't quite coincide with one line of text.) This, it turns out is the key. This is what provides the 'smoking gun'.

I'm attaching a picture that shows two separate overlays of actual screen shots.

One interesting thing to note is that the highlight color is different. This is another 'tell' that this was adjusted, although it wouldn't be outside of the realm of experience for Apple to make such a subtle change.

Next, look at the fourth line in each menu. Both begin with the word 'Open', but the don't line up. Realizing the pattern shift, I added the second overlay that simply shifts the entire lower portion of the existing menu down. The entire lower portion of the menu is simply cut and paste lower. If this were built in Interface Builder, or if this were a legit screen shot, the lower portion of the menu would be offset from the pattern slightly.

So, as I said before, I'm now ready to say that this is definitely a fake. And, not just a fake, but a PhotoShopped fake!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Might help if I remembered the image:

Attachments

• pan file menu2.jpg
    pan file menu2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 312

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Re: Re: questions ???

Well, that's the issue, isn't it? OS X does some things quite fast, but others are amazingly slow on an older machine. I personally have a blue and white 300 upgraded to 400-G4 and OS X is still WAY too slow for my tastes. I do go into it periodically, but the lack of immediate feedback annoys the you-know-what out of me. One thing I used to really like about Macs back inhe days of the Plus and SE was the way you got IMMEDIATE feedback, whereas with Windows there was always a lag in the mouse on the screen (for example) following the mouse in your hand...

...so in short, yes, you CAN run X on even a biege G3, and some will find it perfectly fine, and others will be infuriated.

[Please excuse me, other forum users, for ever insinuating there could POSSIBLY be a reason for not IMMEDIATELY switching to X].

Originally posted by sedarby
I use OS X - Jaguar on a Rev A iMac thats 233 mhz of G3 power. You just have to up the memory a bit (384 MB at the moment) and add a fast larger hard drive. I am so sick of people thinking they need a 1GHZ G4 to even use OS X! I even use Classic and it works just fine. Admittedly there is a bit of waiting here and there but it is very usable.

matiasmarin

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
what a crock of f**king bs
-matias
if apple ever went back to the classic look i would toss my 12 inch out the window, and i would switch back to good old chisel and stone!

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by matiasmarin
what a crock of f**king bs
-matias
if apple ever went back to the classic look i would toss my 12 inch out the window, and i would switch back to good old chisel and stone!

Ok - calm down. This is a joke...

MacSween

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I also have OS X running on an 233 iMac RevB 256MB/100GB. Works great! I don't do heavy graphics. Just normal office work, plus "i" stuff. Have had no real problems till iMovie 3. Started with Apple products in 1979. Used a Lisa in 1983 then switched to Macs in Sep 84! Been happy ever since! OS X is a great move.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
You have got to be kidding

Someone may have aleady posted this, if so I'm sorry but...

Just read a review of the latest (May 01) alpha of Windows Loghorn, and it contains a new feature...STACKS!!!!!!

...utilizing a new feature called Stacks. Because you can't actually work with stacks in 4015, it's unclear what the feature does, but you can stack contacts by the same list of criteria by which you can arrange them, and you can also unstack them. Stacking and unstacking might be related to the Carousel view but, again, that's unclear right now...

Apple must be aware of this? Should someone tell them, it has to be an infringement of copyright. Microsoft get away with this far too often.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.