Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFocus

macrumors member
Original poster
I ordered Panther 2 days ago with my (business) sales person and got it yesterday afternoon!
So far for the countdowncounter :D

With Jaguar I had some very strange problems like:
- Couldn't start Classic (allthough I could boot from OS 9)
- Mail was partially English in stead of Dutch (And it showed me other (nicer) icons as on my Desktop (with the same build of Jaguar).
I've tried numerous solutions, reinstalled 3 times with or without updates etc. but nothing worked.

Anyone else had such experiences?

Now I've upgraded to Panther everything works perfectly!!!:) :)

And Exposé is soo great!!!

It simply rocks.

One happy black cat.

palec

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Re: Panther solved all of my (Strange) Jaguar problems! It's Great!!

Originally posted by MacFocus

Now I've upgraded to Panther everything works perfectly!!!:) :)

What is the Build number of your Panther? Choose About this Mac and click on version. Thanks! I have some problems with connecting to other computers on same network.

MacFocus

macrumors member
Original poster
Re: Re: Panther solved all of my (Strange) Jaguar problems! It's Great!!

Originally posted by palec
What is the Build number of your Panther? Choose About this Mac and click on version. Thanks! I have some problems with connecting to other computers on same network.

7B85, See the image...
BTW, I'ts a Powerbook.

One of the stranger things is how to find my servervolumes in Panther.
I found them under the "my ComputerName" icon (sorry for the PC name);)

Attachments

• panther build.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 339

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by iEric
while it helped u, it screwed me...The stupid dock won't show up!!

No dock? Did you use Transparent dock, or something of the kind? Just wondering because I use Transparent dock.

palec

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks, did you get Developer Tools (XCode) too? How many CDs? 3, 4, DVD?

JasonBurns

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
Question about Panther...

I've heard different sides of this... Does Panther increase battery life? I've heard it does up to double the battery... Any truth to that? I should be getting my developer copy in the next day or two, so I was just curious!

Thanks guys,
Jason

MacFocus

macrumors member
Original poster
Re: Question about Panther...

Originally posted by JasonBurns
I've heard different sides of this... Does Panther increase battery life? I've heard it does up to double the battery... Any truth to that?

Seems impossible to me. Maybe a slight increase in batterylife, but more than 5% increase..., Guess not.
Haven't tested it yet. During the day my PoBo is on powercable.

bernie

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
New York
Increase-a-da-battery life

I remember reading, somewhere, that Jaguar does things like decrease use of the Hard drive. So if it doesn't need to spin up the HD as much as before, then that'll certainly increase battery life.

Heh..heh.. whoa... I had something to add... heh heh... cool...

-Bernie

stoid

macrumors 601
Re: Question about Panther...

Originally posted by JasonBurns
I've heard different sides of this... Does Panther increase battery life? I've heard it does up to double the battery... Any truth to that? I should be getting my developer copy in the next day or two, so I was just curious!

Thanks guys,
Jason

That would be great as Jag gave me nearly 4 hours last night while doing research in the library. 8 hours of battery YIPPEEEE!!

Unlikely though.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Yes, I did.
3 black install Cd's and 1 XCode CD.
No DVD's, which is kind of logic. If it came on DVD, you couldn't install on older Mac's without a DVDdrive.

What keeps them from giving CD's and a DVD? When I buy Solaris it comes on CD's as well as one DVD. There is no option of which one you want, you get both. Some of the other software included is on the CD's only though.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
It costs more. That may be the reason.

The cost would be negligible. The cost of a CD is less now then two or three years ago, were prices lowered?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
it's an industy-wide problem. In the UK PC Games magazine i read, PC Zone (i'm only a recent switcher and still connected to my pc!) the issue is often raised of why when consoles such as the XBox get games such as Splinter Cell on 1 DVD whereas the PC gets it on 3 CD's.

There's got to be some sinister reason, but apparantly only 50% (or less, I can't quite remember) of PC users have a DVD drive! Maybe someone realised DVD's don't work or something!!! (sorry, stupid theory)

I would appreciate the option to by OS 10.3 on DVD, and surely 1 DVD cant cost much more than 3 CD's to produce... I guess just whilst companies have huge CD producing machines, they're not about to upgrade when they can flog everyone (including DVD users) cheaper CD's

Hob

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Lanbrown
The cost would be negligible. The cost of a CD is less now then two or three years ago, were prices lowered?

First, even if the cost is 'negligible,' it's still an additional cost. When you're talking about shipping hundreds of thousands of units, it adds up (when you're trying to maximize profits, every little bit helps).

Second, OS X is a consumer software product. For many users (no one here, of course ;) ), having the OS on CD & DVD in the same box might cause some confusion.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
how come your "About this Mac" shows up the build and mine says Version 10.3

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by iEric
how come your "About this Mac" shows up the build and mine says Version 10.3
Click on the place where it says "version ..." and it'll change to the build number. It's been that way for a while.

And to back up what hob said, look at the CD/DVD issue this way from Apple's perspective:

A significant percentage of your customers don't have DVD drives, so you're definitely going to need a CD version. DVD customers can use both, but some people need CDs.

If you produce seperate CD and DVD versions, then you've got twice the stock complexity (two seperate products), which means some additional expense of producing and warehousing two entirely seperate versions (plus you now have to contract your CD and DVD production seperately, possibly with different companies), and retail stores now have to deal with stocking both versions if they want to, plus deal with the confusion/support of inexperienced users who buy the DVD version when they only have a CD drive.

The alternative is to stick both in the box. CDs and DVDs are both cheap in volume; I'd guess in the range of $0.10 to $0.20 per CD and maybe $0.50 per DVD in the volume Apple is dealing with.

Assuming Panther's numbers will be similar to Jaguar's, that means at least a quarter million extra DVDs in the next couple months, and it could be as many as a million or more. 250,000X$0.50 = $125,000 which is smallish for Apple but still a lot of money for no benefit whatsoever from their perspective--people get the exact same software either way.

If the cost per disc is higher or they sell more copies, they could end up blowing a million bucks on unnecessary discs. Not cool to waste 2% of your quarterly profit for no reason.

I like single-DVD installers, too, but I know which choice I'd make if I were at the helm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.