Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj9928

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Ireland
Hi all,I recently took a lend of a copy of Panther from the office to spruce up my old g3 imac. I no nothing really about macs in general have worked with PC's for 15 or so years. The problem being I turn of the imac hold down 'c' the imac reads the CD for a while them stops and continues to boot from the harddrive. I clicked on the cd and opened it and all I see is a file called mac osx10.3.sit I then opened this using stuffit and then i see another file named something similar to the original. I then opened this and get an error message the application that created this file can not be found. What should I do? I cant ask any one in the office about this problem as Panther was installed by an engineer who came out to update our 2 or so imacs.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Panther needs a FireWire 400 supported Mac. That is pretty much the requirement for it, if you have that it will install. If you are having problems it could be your Optical Drive or the Install CD. :)

dj9928

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Ireland
RPLY

Mine is a Imac G3 DV I think it meets them requirements. I had the same trouble trying to install OSX10.2 having said that it boots up fine from my Mac osx9 CD. I cant even get into the 10.2 or 10.3 CDs

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
given your first post, there are reasons to believe your copy is not legitimate...

if you are serious, go to an apple store, ask a genius if the panther will work on your iMac. then pay up and install it.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
What you described is NOT a Panther install CD. Panther comes on 3 disks. Maya said
Panther needs a FireWire 400 supported Mac. That is pretty much the requirement for it, if you have that it will install.
This is not true, Panther requires only built in USB, Tiger requires built in Firewire, you can install Panther on the original iMac.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
what system does your iMac currently have? I think it has to be upgraded to OS 9.1 first before you can upgrade to Panther......and you have to make sure you install the required firmware upgrade or you can kill your monitor

go to Apple.com and find their OS X page....it'll give you more info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.