Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I'm not sure where this post should go, this seemed the most logical area. Mods if you find something better, please move it. Anyway...

As my sig. indicates, my band, The New Republic, is recording an EP in studio from March 3-5. However, we will not be using a distributor or whatever to make a CD booklet for album art/credits. I was interested in cutting costs and printing these myself. Is there a way to print the booklet design on a waxy and/or glossy paper at home? Would photo paper do, or is that excess? Or, after figuring in all of those costs, would it be just easier to just bring it to a Kinko's or some store like that. If it helps at all, we are looking to initially make about 200 copies, then more later after we sell these out..

Thanks for all help, and if you have any suggestions feel free to tell me, im somewhat of a newbie at this :)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
kinko's can do that stuff fairly well. but I honestly wouldn't make 200 copies. No local band recording a first ep is going to sell 200 copies. Start with 50, and sell them extremely cheap (2-3 dollars) or just give them out. Trust me.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Kinkos/ Copy Cop have various paper samples you can choose from. Their printing is pretty crappy IMO. Don't try anything with large areas of flat color. You will be disappointed.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
decksnap said:
Kinkos/ Copy Cop have various paper samples you can choose from. Their printing is pretty crappy IMO. Don't try anything with large areas of flat color. You will be disappointed.
so you would suggest going with just printing them at home or something?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
No, not necessarily. Just saying you should definitely get a sample printed first before you blow a wad on 200. Results may vary by design.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Invest in decent jewel case, I recommend the Super Jewel Box ;)

Then buy yourself a DIY screen printing kit, and screen print directly onto the CD case. ;)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
iGav said:
Invest in decent jewel case, I recommend the Super Jewel Box ;)

Ah yes - Jewelboxing cases - great stuff. I swear those guys at Coudal partners laugh all the way to the bank with my cash. Seriously though these cases are unique, sturdy and make a great impression. Perfect for bands, artist portfolio CD/DVDs, etc.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Brize said:
TAlthough they're fairly robust, you're screwed if they break because the paper parts won't fit in regular CD jewel cases.

True... though I suggested that he consider screen printing directly onto the case. ;)

As aricher said, they make a great impression. It's important for bands to differentiate themselves by making the best possible use of design to promote themselves and their product.

Usually you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Good Design™ helps :D

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
iGav said:
True... though I suggested that he consider screen printing directly onto the case. ;)

In which case, you'd be seriously screwed, as you couldn't use another Super Jewel Box even if you could find one. ;)

They are very nice cases though - it's a far more elegant design than the standard CD jewel box.

I do appreciate the importance of having a product that stands out in the racks, but as a music collector, non-standard CD packaging irritates me. If the spindles break on a Digipak, for example, you've had it. The standard CD jewel case may be a tired design, but it protects the disc and paper parts well, and the cases are interchangeable.

ECM Records in Munich are renowned for their distinctive sleeve designs and produce beautiful CD packaging using regular jewel boxes - albeit complemented by slip-cases.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
calebjohnston said:
kinko's can do that stuff fairly well. but I honestly wouldn't make 200 copies. No local band recording a first ep is going to sell 200 copies. Start with 50, and sell them extremely cheap (2-3 dollars) or just give them out. Trust me.

All lies ... we sold (and gave a few promos away to family and radio) 500 @ $0 - $10 with no problem. If your good; it will sell. ;)

We ended up sending ours out to print; my solo CD (slim case) was printed and burned at home (50 copies).

If you make yours at home i would do something more than jsut printing and stuffing. Try making a unique case for that homemade look if you doing a limited run ... maybe a special edition packaging? Anything to stand out from the crowd.

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.