Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I just found a new company that made a screen protector for iPad Pro, to feel like a paper when using the Pencil. Is anyone using, or ordered one? I am very tempted to get one myself, but it's REALLY expensive for a screen protector.

Here's the link https://getpaperlike.com

Reactions: RickTaylor

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Interesting, but i cant find anywhere on the website telling what its made of....Glass? Plastic film?

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Interesting, but i cant find anywhere on the website telling what its made of....Glass? Plastic film?

Yeah it's not glass. Glass ones kinda affect the Pencil. This is a matte screen protector. But unlike the cheap ones, they engineered it to feel like a paper when used with Pencil. I'm curious about how good it is, and if it's worth the price or not.

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I just did a search here, saw a couple positive posts about it. Gonna bookmark the site for when I finally order a Pro...

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I wonder how it feels dragging with the finger exactly. I know it says it feels fine on the site, but wonder how it really is with that. I might actually get this when I get the Pencil if it’s that good.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Interesting. If anyone tries it, I'd be very curious to know their experience.

I just recently bought a screen protector based on the recommendations of this video.

[doublepost=1504117185][/doublepost]And here's another review of a matte screen protector I just discovered.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I've used PaperLike for about two weeks. You get two in a pack so the price isn't terrible.

These are sheets of thin plastic that adheres to the glass of the iPad. The outside has a matte finish which should give the Pencil better traction than bare glass.

The matte finish reduces glare in many situations. Outdoors, it makes the screen a little harder to see.

I have no issue with the way it feels for my fingers. I can just tell that the surface is a little rough. It is not bad at all.

In a few, rare cases it seems that the presence of the film makes the touch screen a bit less sensitive to a finger touch.

When freshly applied the feel of the surface to Pencil was really good. After a couple of weeks it seems the effect is reduced. It is still better than bare glass, but more slippery than I like. I'm not sure what changed. Possibly the matte surface has polished the tip of the Pencil making it smoother? Maybe finger prints accumulating on the surface are acting as a lubricant?

I tried roughening the Pencil tip. That didn't help. I cleaned the surface with iKlear and a cloth and it seemed to improve a fair amount.

Even as it is I find note taking better than before. Compared to notes I wrote a few weeks ago today's notes are more legible. It is not as great as I'd like, but I'm keeping it on my iPad.

Bottom line, if you take a lot of notes or do a lot of sketching this is worth trying. If you are a casual Pencil user I'd take a pass.

Having tried this has given me an idea. Perhaps someone can come up with a thin film just used for writing with Pencil rather than something that is always attached like a screen protector. This way you could maybe increase the friction at the cost of some transparency because you would only use it temporarily when writing or sketching. Think of it like those plastic sheets some people used to use with pads of paper to place under the top sheet to provide a better writing experience.

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I've used PaperLike for about two weeks. You get two in a pack so the price isn't terrible.

These are sheets of thin plastic that adheres to the glass of the iPad. The outside has a matte finish which should give the Pencil better traction than bare glass.

The matte finish reduces glare in many situations. Outdoors, it makes the screen a little harder to see.

I have no issue with the way it feels for my fingers. I can just tell that the surface is a little rough. It is not bad at all.

In a few, rare cases it seems that the presence of the film makes the touch screen a bit less sensitive to a finger touch.

When freshly applied the feel of the surface to Pencil was really good. After a couple of weeks it seems the effect is reduced. It is still better than bare glass, but more slippery than I like. I'm not sure what changed. Possibly the matte surface has polished the tip of the Pencil making it smoother? Maybe finger prints accumulating on the surface are acting as a lubricant?

I tried roughening the Pencil tip. That didn't help. I cleaned the surface with iKlear and a cloth and it seemed to improve a fair amount.

Even as it is I find note taking better than before. Compared to notes I wrote a few weeks ago today's notes are more legible. It is not as great as I'd like, but I'm keeping it on my iPad.

Bottom line, if you take a lot of notes or do a lot of sketching this is worth trying. If you are a casual Pencil user I'd take a pass.

Having tried this has given me an idea. Perhaps someone can come up with a thin film just used for writing with Pencil rather than something that is always attached like a screen protector. This way you could maybe increase the friction at the cost of some transparency because you would only use it temporarily when writing or sketching. Think of it like those plastic sheets some people used to use with pads of paper to place under the top sheet to provide a better writing experience.
I use the pencil quite a lot, for drawing and taking notes in class. In fact, Pencil was the reason I got an iPad Pro. Thanks for your reply, as sonn as I can afford it, I'll definitely check it out.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Reactions: onepoint

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I have the Paperlike on my IPP 9.7, been using it for a few weeks. I had high hopes after reading about it and thought I should give it a try as I take a lot of notes during a work day. The Paperlike makes it a bit easier to read the screen in bright lights, but at the expense of some loss of clarity. My experience is similar to neutrino23, the rough feeling disappeared after some time. Now the feeling is not that dissimilar to the naked screen. I'm gonna give it some week, but it looks like I'll tear it of soon. Not that happy about it.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Agree with Kobra. It is sad that the friction decreases so soon.

It did get me thinking. We should try other materials. I wouldn't mind carrying something around just for those times I expect to use the Pencil a lot, then have the bare screen the rest of the time.

As an example, tracing paper (do they still make this) might be good. You could see the screen well enough to write and get good friction. If it tears you can throw it away and use a fresh piece.

Any professional drafting people here? What about some sort of thin plastic sheet that would have good texture?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I've made some brief tests with encouraging results. I tried a couple kinds of tracing paper. It provides good friction and I can read what I'm writing. The friction is a bit high for my taste and the ones I tried are a bit too opaque. I'm hopeful I can find a thin, nearly clear sheet that can be used with the Pencil.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Hi. I had the screen protector in the second video but decided on trying the PaperLike. I only got one protector in my package. Found it to be very hard to put on. iPad misses some screen taps. I don't notice any difference between this and the much cheaper one in the video. Surely this can't be a hard problem to solve.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I bought a pad of Canson Tracing paper in an art store for about $5. I cut one sheet to size and taped one side to the iPad with masking tape. I leave one side free so that it is easy to lift up and see the screen. It is jarring to go from the matte finish of the tracing paper to the beautiful iPad screen. I use a plastic protractor to hold down the tracing paper. The iPad doesn't register my fingers when I use this.

It works OK, but not great. When there is an air gap the screen is hard to read. That amount of friction with the Pencil is too high. But if I don't press hard it feels good.

The upside is that this is as close to writing on paper as I've experienced with an iPad. There is enough friction to push against as when writing on paper.

Next I need to fashion a plastic frame to better hold this against the iPad. I wouldn't use this for simple things, but if I'm going to take a couple of pages of notes in the lab while collecting data this will be useful.

One more thing will be to scout for smoother, more transparent tracing paper.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
After two weeks of testing, I have now removed my "Paperlike". The paper feeling has totally disappeared and I do not think the loss of clarity justifies retaining it. In addition, I noticed that the screen (the paperlike film) was full of traces from my notes, similar to what appears in a notebook if you press hard with your pen. I could almost read some of the text with the iPad in sleep mode :cool:

Well, it was worth a try :rolleyes:

JanSoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
I have the Paperlike on my IPP 9.7, been using it for a few weeks. I had high hopes after reading about it and thought I should give it a try as I take a lot of notes during a work day. The Paperlike makes it a bit easier to read the screen in bright lights, but at the expense of some loss of clarity. My experience is similar to neutrino23, the rough feeling disappeared after some time. Now the feeling is not that dissimilar to the naked screen. I'm gonna give it some week, but it looks like I'll tear it of soon. Not that happy about it.

Hi Kobra, did you try cleaning the screen with a wet wipe? After heavy use it's normal that finger-fat fills out the PaperLike's rough surface. Imagine how a single piece of paper would look like after a week of having your hand on it? It would become semi-translucent due to the finger fat & acids. That said please don't tear it off!! Recently I discovered the best way to clean a heavily used PaperLike: Wet wipes you use to clean normal glasses. After that you'll get back the rough surface.
[doublepost=1504650589][/doublepost]
After two weeks of testing, I have now removed my "Paperlike". The paper feeling has totally disappeared and I do not think the loss of clarity justifies retaining it. In addition, I noticed that the screen (the paperlike film) was full of traces from my notes, similar to what appears in a notebook if you press hard with your pen. I could almost read some of the text with the iPad in sleep mode :cool:

Well, it was worth a try :rolleyes:

Oh man, why didn't I read this before. What a shame! The traces you saw was the finger fat being pushed to a side. If you had cleaned the surface, the "traces" would have disappeared.
[doublepost=1504650780][/doublepost]
Agree with Kobra. It is sad that the friction decreases so soon.

It did get me thinking. We should try other materials. I wouldn't mind carrying something around just for those times I expect to use the Pencil a lot, then have the bare screen the rest of the time.

As an example, tracing paper (do they still make this) might be good. You could see the screen well enough to write and get good friction. If it tears you can throw it away and use a fresh piece.

Any professional drafting people here? What about some sort of thin plastic sheet that would have good texture?

Wiping the PaperLike with a wet wipe fixes this problem. It happens because of the natural finger fat.

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi Kobra, did you try cleaning the screen with a wet wipe? After heavy use it's normal that finger-fat fills out the PaperLike's rough surface. Imagine how a single piece of paper would look like after a week of having your hand on it? It would become semi-translucent due to the finger fat & acids. That said please don't tear it off!! Recently I discovered the best way to clean a heavily used PaperLike: Wet wipes you use to clean normal glasses. After that you'll get back the rough surface.
[doublepost=1504650589][/doublepost]

Oh man, why didn't I read this before. What a shame! The traces you saw was the finger fat being pushed to a side. If you had cleaned the surface, the "traces" would have disappeared.
[doublepost=1504650780][/doublepost]

Wiping the PaperLike with a wet wipe fixes this problem. It happens because of the natural finger fat.
This may totally be the cause. Because, when I was using Pro 9.7, I'd occasionally clean the screen with a microfiber cloth, and the Pencil would have a little bit grip. It doesn't work on the 10.5 for some reason though.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I did clean my screen nearly every day when I had the Paperlike installed. To clean my screens is something I've always done and will continue to do. The traces were not finger smudge, it was physical traces in the paperlike plastic. Also, please note that my pencil nib is prestine andI've changed it since I bought the pen.

It might have been something wrong with my example, who knows...

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I read the rest and still unsure about the Paperlike, because I don't want to trade off my screen quality. Can you please suggest me some screen film or tempered glass for 10.5 to write with apple pencil on it. Tempered glasses seem thick to me. Isn't there any high quality screen films?

Prodigyj

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
Paperlike is a just a clever marketing campaign. I bought one thinking that it’s worth a try, but took it off after a few weeks. The short answer is that the “Paperlike” is really no different (actually a bit worse) than other cheap $5 antiglare film screen protector. I previously used iCarez antiglare film ($8 for two on Amazon) and it felt virtually the same as this Paperlike, and Paperlike has worse clarity. The product you really want is one that is only for sale in Japan (unfortunately), it’s made by Elecom. This thing is amazing. It’s not cheap ($25 USD), but it actually feels like paper. It’s as rough as regular laserjet paper and it has MUCH better clarity and less rainbowing than Paperlike.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エレコム-2017年新型-液晶保護フィルム-ペーパーライク-TB-A17FLAPL/dp/B06XH5M4B4

Reactions: LeProf. and MacInTO

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I’ve been using the Moshi iVisor since March on my iPP. I use the Apple Pencil daily. I recommend the screen protector if you can find one in stock. It has a matte finish and very slightly increases drag on the Pencil. And it’s removable and re-applicable, which I’ve done (due to my own OCD stupidity).

https://www.moshi.com/screen-protector-ivisor-ag-ipad-pro#white

So I bought this one. It lasted a day and a half before I tore it off. Dark. Thick. Didn't care for it at all.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
So I bought this one. It lasted a day and a half before I tore it off. Dark. Thick. Didn't care for it at all.
Yikes!! I’m sorry to hear that and I apologize for my advice wasting your time and money. I really enjoy mine, still using it every day.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Paperlike is a just a clever marketing campaign. I bought one thinking that it’s worth a try, but took it off after a few weeks. The short answer is that the “Paperlike” is really no different (actually a bit worse) than other cheap $5 antiglare film screen protector. I previously used iCarez antiglare film ($8 for two on Amazon) and it felt virtually the same as this Paperlike, and Paperlike has worse clarity. The product you really want is one that is only for sale in Japan (unfortunately), it’s made by Elecom. This thing is amazing. It’s not cheap ($25 USD), but it actually feels like paper. It’s as rough as regular laserjet paper and it has MUCH better clarity and less rainbowing than Paperlike.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エレコム-2017年新型-液晶保護フィルム-ペーパーライク-TB-A17FLAPL/dp/B06XH5M4B4

Hi. How would you order this to the uk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.