Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sta1210

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
I have been a long time user and supportive of Papers (from Mekentosj) for a scientific manuscript database, having a library that is nearly 8 GB in size is a testament to how robust the database features are. Previously they only supported Dropbox syncing. I am contemplating using the iCloud Drive on my Sierra based home MacBook and office Macbook? Any thoughts on how this may work? Where to place the "primary" drive?

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
I have been using the latest version (released in May, 2016, but since then there has not been a new release) of papers 3 with El Capitan.

Does anyone know if papers 3 is compatible with Sierra? I tried to make it work with Sierra. but after spending many days and exchanging emails with papers3 support, papers 3 still can not work with Sierra.

I would like papers 3 to work with Sierra because I bought a LG5K ultrafine display which only works with Sierra, but does not work with El Capitan.

Any help or new info would be much appreciated.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I work with papers 3 in sierra and it woks fine (macbookpro15 w tb). som things are super slow but it works.
However i am wondering of how it works in High Sierra? Anyone tried it?

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
I work with papers 3 in sierra and it woks fine (macbookpro15 w tb). som things are super slow but it works.
However i am wondering of how it works in High Sierra? Anyone tried it?
Thanks for your response.

Which Sierra version (that can work with Papers 3) are u using? Any idea what things work super slow?

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
It is only switching to the authors tab that is slow the rest is fine. There is a pdf rendering problem as well but it is not so disturbing (And it is system wide so don't blame Papers). I run latest of both and i just updated to high sierra and its seams to work fine so far.

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
It is only switching to the authors tab that is slow the rest is fine. There is a pdf rendering problem as well but it is not so disturbing (And it is system wide so don't blame Papers ....just updated to high sierra and its seams to work fine so far.

Thanks again. Does papers 3 in high Sierra have the same problems as in Sierra?

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
there is no difference, that I have fond, between sierra and high sierra regarding papers 3

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
From your replies, my problem with Sierra could be due to the number of papers. I have collected more than twenty thousands research papers, which work without any problem in El Capitan. However, when upgraded to Sierra, there appears to be endless indexing going on in the background. I tried installing Sierra many times, but problem did not go away. Support at papers3 provided little support. The end result is papers 3 does not work in Sierra. There is no reason to believe this indexing problem will go away in high sierra.

Just wondering the number of papers you have.

There is no denying that Papers does not seem to be interested in continue supporting papers3 for Mac as there has not been a new update since May 2016.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I have a bout 4000 papers in my database
Agree the papers team might be doing something else

werekorden

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2015
I have a bout 4000 papers in my database
Agree the papers team might be doing something else

I have about 10000 papers and books.
Well it is bought by readcube some time ago. When I was complaining about the many problems Papers has, they just told me you can switch to readcube.

This is just not ok. You can not search whole books if you are in the Library view. This sucks, there are so many things that suck but readcube uses its own cloud and you have to pay monthly aso. I don#t understand what these guys are thinking?

They implement easy social media posting but can not fix the essential things like fast good retina view or fast and easy annotations, without loosing the annotations later on. Or dealing with paper-files getting lost over time(I lost about 200 papers/books) or the speed of the program and so on. To say iCloud doesn't work because apple is so bad to us is just ******** other small companies can do it as well.

It is better if I won't start talking about the ****** iOS-Papers app.

I am done with papers, As soon as I will find a better Program I will switch as fast as possible.

Really you censor bull***sh*t and shi*t*y!!! I am so sick of american idiots man you really need a war inside to understand what is important in the world.

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
I switched back from Papers3 to Mendeley last year. Papers was sold by Springer to ReadCube (a competing app) and they have only released a minor update since. They have previously said development hasn't ended, but it certainly isn't continuing. It was a shame, but the app froze when using a publisher's template and as soon as the company was sold, interest in fixing bugs seemed to wane, and so I was forced to switch.

werekorden

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2015
Yeah,

Well All iOS-apps are ****** in there own kind. I want something that works good together on Mac and iOS.

Mendeley has a really annoying annotation function. Papers is way better but also far from the functionality of simple pdf-Reader for iOS.
15€/month for unlimited storage? Really I have at least 4 Cloud-Systems. I just want two or so and now I should add another iCloud system and even have to pay for it.

Question to the App-Developer:
  • Why can't they just bring a app that connects to the lets say 4 major iCloud systems and if the company wants it in addition have an own iCloud system. People could choose!
  • Why can't they make a annotation system that works easily with a little toolbar, to quickly change between colours for highlighting.
  • Oh why does (for papers) the matching process using DOI got worse over time instead of getting better.
  • Why is there (for papers) no full pdf search possibility. Spotlight does it quite easily.

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
  • Why can't they just bring a app that connects to the lets say 4 major iCloud systems and if the company wants it in addition have an own iCloud system. People could choose!
  • Why can't they make a annotation system that works easily with a little toolbar, to quickly change between colours for highlighting.
  • Oh why does (for papers) the matching process using DOI got worse over time instead of getting better.
  • Why is there (for papers) no full pdf search possibility. Spotlight does it quite easily.

The answer to this all of these is that Papers is not developed or maintained since it was sold to ReadCube.

Also, yes, Mendeley is complete junk. It pulls in wrong or ridiculous data a lot when matching DOIs (the number of times I have to remove papers:// URLs that are pulled from Mendeley's servers). Its annotation functions and lack of standard cloud provider support are designed to stop you exporting your library and using another system ever. Remember, it's made by Elsevier, a company that makes Apple look charitable. Its also a great case of design by happenstance rather than intent (I assume, as if what we have now was intended, Mendeley is in dire need of someone with imagination).

Sadly, Papers was the best bibliography manager, but its now decaying.

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
The answer to this all of these is that Papers is not developed or maintained since it was sold to ReadCube.

Also, yes, Mendeley is complete junk.....

Sadly, Papers was the best bibliography manager, but its now decaying.

“Sadly, Papers was the best bibliography manager, but its now decaying”. Just wondering if anyone has found a bibliography manager as good as Papers3.

Has anyone tried the ReadCube Papers? There were many negative reviews given in the Apple App Store for this app.

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Papers 3 works in Mojave
Thanks! Just wondering what model year is ur Mac.

I have a 13” mid 2014 MacBook Pro. In that machine, papers 3 does not work in O OS later than El Capitan. I wasted a lot of time trying to solve this problem but unsuccessful. I wrongly thought that it was due to my library has more than 26 thousands papers. I recently found that the problem was due to the Mac model year was too old. When I switched to a newer model year Mac borrowed from a colleague , papers 3 worked in OS later than El Capitan. So I am buying a 8th generation 13” MBP in order to use papers 3 as it absolutely has to work in my profession.

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
I have a 15’ MacBookpro 2017 model
I only have 4000 references w pdfs
Thanks and I really appreciate ur answer!

In summary, It seems that papers 3, which will not have another new version, work with 2017 (and possibly later) model year Mac having Mojave (and possibly later) OS. Papers 3 can have 26,000 (possibly more) references. For me, Papers 3 can be used for the next 2-3 (possibly more) years and hopefully by then something better than papers 3 will become available.

Mac OS later than El Capitan all have driver for use with LG ultrafine 5K monitors.

Not sure how ReadClub Papers works as good as Papers 3 in performance, but it seems to have quite a few negative reviews. My understanding is it also charges a monthly subscription fee of more than thirty dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.