Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khanable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hi all,

Playing around with the trial of Parallels 7 on my rMBP and am having some difficulty getting it to make use of my 650m.

My setup: rMBP 2.6/8/512, bootcamp Win7HP, loading the bootcamp as a VM.

Upon loading into Windows 7 I notice everything just runs like crap. Sluggish and slow UI, and I can't get a single game to even run on the lowest settings.

Obviously scaling is still all jacked up, but I had read in so many places that Parallels will force the use of the 650m, and it simply doesn't seem to be the case here. Any ideas as to what is going on?

I'm not expecting to be able to play anything at 2880x1800 on high settings, but even L4D2 is choppy as all hell on the absolute lowest settings.

Perhaps the Parallels 7 drivers are just jacked up?

Any suggestions?

You'll probably ask me if I use gfxcardstatus -- the answer is yes, I do. I've attempted to force discrete graphics, as well as dynamic with little to no luck. I've even gone and completely removed the application without any luck either.

Also I've already attempted to adjust the amount of resources being given to the VM -- 2/3/4 cores 2/3/4gb of ram, etc. Nothing seems to help.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Use boot camp if you want to play games in Windows. Modern 3D games will not run well in Parallels no matter what settings you use.

Windows in Parallels uses a generic video driver. Theres no way in Parallels to use other drivers.

khanable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Use boot camp if you want to play games in Windows. Modern 3D games will not run well in Parallels no matter what settings you use.

Windows in Parallels uses a generic video driver. Theres no way in Parallels to use other drivers.

I installed Windows 7 in a pure VM instead of loading the bootcamp in Parallels. This solved all my problems.

GoSooners

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
I installed Windows 7 in a pure VM instead of loading the bootcamp in Parallels. This solved all my problems.

AAhhhh, hopefully this will solve the fuziness I see in Win 7 when Parallels claims to advertise retina support!! Thank you!!

khanable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
AAhhhh, hopefully this will solve the fuziness I see in Win 7 when Parallels claims to advertise retina support!! Thank you!!

It looks better both in a window and in fullscreen mode booting a pure VM vs booting a bootcamp install. It's not perfect, though. There still isn't full retina support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.