Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Just upgraded to the Monterey Dev beta. The Rogue Amoeba tools finally work in their beta incarnations and everything appears stable.
Parallels Desktop v17 works nicely with Windows and also allows the rudimentary installation of Monterey.
But:
  1. Guest tools are not yet implemented, none of the integrations work
  2. I have been unable to get networking to work
  3. Sleep does not work
  4. Disk size is fixed to 30GB
A nice blog entry at http://blog.rolpdog.com/2021/08/customizing-macos-guest-vms-in.html describes some work arounds.
Would love to read about other fixes to make this usable.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Just upgraded to the Monterey Dev beta. The Rogue Amoeba tools finally work in their beta incarnations and everything appears stable.
Parallels Desktop v17 works nicely with Windows and also allows the rudimentary installation of Monterey.
But:
  1. Guest tools are not yet implemented, none of the integrations work
  2. I have been unable to get networking to work
  3. Sleep does not work
  4. Disk size is fixed to 30GB
A nice blog entry at http://blog.rolpdog.com/2021/08/customizing-macos-guest-vms-in.html describes some work arounds.
Would love to read about other fixes to make this usable.
Do you use iCloud? Can you log in? With the open source macOS VM, I can’t login to iCloud or any AppleID. That makes working with the VM very difficult and my most common use case, Xcode development, impossible.

purum

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
The network works fine, performance is good enough to play youtube videos.
The network doesn't work with VPN. Works in other Parallels VM though.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Nope. Neither Apple ID, nor iCloud. Looks like Apple treats this macOS in a VM differently. I hope it will be improve by the time Monterey releases.
Yeah, if I can't login with my AppleID then the macOS guest is useless. One of my main use cases is development which means I need Xcode and without iCloud it is painful to get my files to the guest VM. I've put in a bug with Apple but no response so far.

MaryRal

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2020
The network works fine, performance is good enough to play youtube videos.
The network doesn't work with VPN. Works in other Parallels VM though.
Did you resolve you VPN issue? Did you try the Bridge network mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.