Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Anyone here have experience with running Parallels at Penn State? Because of the way they have the network set up (you have to register your MAC address and are assigned a certain IP, etc) when I try to use internet in Parallels I get errors. Is there any way to fix this so the server doesn't think two computers have the same MAC address and are using the same info?

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
Your problem is not exclusive to Penn State, it is the case in many Univerisities. Anyway, you have to set Parallels to share networking with your Mac, I can't remember how to do this as I no longer use Parallels. If you find the network settings you should be able to set it to share the connection.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Wont this allow other people on the network to access my connection as well? Is there a way to just share the connection locally?

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
I would imagine that parallels would share the internet connection with just the Parallels Virtual Machine running on your computer.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
When I tried before I had to turn on internet connection sharing in OSX and it looked like anyone could access my connection, any ideas?

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
That's what OSX's internet connection sharing does.

It shares your internet connection to anyone who can connect to your computer.

I'd have a look at parallels itself and see if IN PARALLELS, it has a connection sharing option.

bsaint9

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
you can set parallels mac address to match that of your mac, using bridged networking, and it will allow the data to pass the MAC authentication. It's what I have to do whenever a WISP uses MAC authentication-- my university, my work, airports, etc.

daskonig

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2005
You need to make changes in both your Parallels' VM settings and in System Preference's Sharing Pane.

First, in System Preference's Sharing Pane go to the Internet tab. Click the Stop button if Internet Sharing is already running, then select the connection you are sharing from (either Airport or Ethernet, depending on how you are connected to the Internet) and then select the Parallels virtual adapter (it's en2 on my MacBook), finally click on Start. You can now close System Preferences.

Second, open Parallels. In the VM configuration screen click the Edit button. In the Configuration Editor click on Network Adapter and then select the button next to host-only networking.

You should now be able to use the Internet from within Parallels.

This will not allow anyone else on the network to connect to the Internet through you Mac. The network interface that is used to share your Internet with Parallels is a virtual network interface, so no worries.

On a side note, if you change between an Ethernet and Airport connection you will have to go back in to System Preference's Internet Sharing click Stop, change the adapter that you are sharing from to your current method of connection and then click start again. This may require you to reboot Windows from within Parallels.

Hope this helps,
Ryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.