Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I am running Parallels 17.1.1. and Windows 11 on a 2021 MBP.

I cannot get iCloud for Windows to work; specifically, when I try to sync Mail the cog wheel spins and never stuck.

I therefore cannot get my calendar and contacts into Outlook 365 for Windows (which is made worse by the fact that Outlook 365 for Mac does not sync macOS calendars or contacts, meaning I am stuck).

The asks:

1. Does anyone else have this problem;

2. Does anyone have a solution to this problem;

3. Has anyone been able to get iCloud for Windows to work under and ARM/Parallels/Windows combination; and

4. Is this an ARM, Parallels or Windows 11 Problem?

Thanks

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

I cannot get iCloud for Windows to work; specifically, when I try to sync Mail the cog wheel spins and never stuck.

I therefore cannot get my calendar and contacts into Outlook 365 for Windows (which is made worse by the fact that Outlook 365 for Mac does not sync macOS calendars or contacts, meaning I am stuck).

The asks:

3. Has anyone been able to get iCloud for Windows to work under and ARM/Parallels/Windows combination; and

Thanks

I had the same yesterday. The whole iCloud Settings window was greyed out with spinning cog. Rebooting Windows did not solve.

Today it is OK !

Reactions: nuyan20

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
All I can say is that you are a luckier man that I as this is what I just got!

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 08.38.31 AM.png

Question, did you also get the Outlook message?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
All I can say is that you are a luckier man that I as this is what I just got!

View attachment 1933350

Question, did you also get the Outlook message?

Yes I also got the Outlook message, and have had many times before. It comes and goes, and I haven't associated it with the iCloud problem, but it might be. I have found no way of stopping that message which gets a lot of hits with a Google search. It seems to disappear after being dismissed three times.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

The asks:

Thanks
If your Calendar and Contacts are in iCloud, why are you using Outlook? Wouldn't it be much simpler just to use the built in Mail and Calendar apps.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Yes I also got the Outlook message, and have had many times before. It comes and goes, and I haven't associated it with the iCloud problem, but it might be. I have found no way of stopping that message which gets a lot of hits with a Google search. It seems to disappear after being dismissed three times.

As a start that is good to know however, I still cannot get iCloud for Windows to work! I really need to get this going.

It will be hard, I called Apple and they told me to call Parallels as they officially do not support Windows on ARM!

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
As a start that is good to know however, I still cannot get iCloud for Windows to work! I really need to get this going.

It will be hard, I called Apple and they told me to call Parallels as they officially do not support Windows on ARM!
Neither Apple or Microsoft support running Window on Apple Silicon Macs. I think Parallels is the only company that supports it.

I am not surprised Apple refused to help.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
If your Calendar and Contacts are in iCloud, why are you using Outlook? Wouldn't it be much simpler just to use the built in Mail and Calendar apps.

Excellent question, and here is my answer:

1. I do not like Apple Mail. I do not like the fact that when responding it drops everyone else on the thread. Is there a better macOS alternative then I am willing to try but everything I have tried has left me wanting for Outlook.

Note, before we go down the Outlook for Mac option it is not an option! MSFT for some reason does not allow Outlook for Mac to sync with Contacts making Outlook for Mac pretty much useless as there are no e-mail addresses stored therein. Why MSFT would spend the resources to develop Mac platforms and then cripple them makes no sense to me!

What am I missing.

2. I would like get my Personal and Work calendars in one app. I suppose I could bring my work calendars and work contacts into Apple Calendar and Contacts respectively but I still have the issue with Apple Mail but admittedly, it may be where I am headed.

3. While I am a huge fan of Apple, MSFT Outlook is, in my view, best in class and it sucks that the macOS version is crippled (as noted above) and than iCloud for Windows is not working be it ARM, Parallels, Windows 11 or some combination.

Thanks.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Neither Apple or Microsoft support running Window on Apple Silicon Macs. I think Parallels is the only company that supports it.

I am not surprised Apple refused to help.
I expect that to change when MSFT's deal with Qualcomm expires and they are no longer bound to run all ARM versions of Windows on Qualcomm SnapDragon chips!

At least that is what I hope.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Excellent question, and here is my answer:

1. I do not like Apple Mail. I do not like the fact that when responding it drops everyone else on the thread. Is there a better macOS alternative then I am willing to try but everything I have tried has left me wanting for Outlook.

Note, before we go down the Outlook for Mac option it is not an option! MSFT for some reason does not allow Outlook for Mac to sync with Contacts making Outlook for Mac pretty much useless as there are no e-mail addresses stored therein. Why MSFT would spend the resources to develop Mac platforms and then cripple them makes no sense to me!

What am I missing.

2. I would like get my Personal and Work calendars in one app. I suppose I could bring my work calendars and work contacts into Apple Calendar and Contacts respectively but I still have the issue with Apple Mail but admittedly, it may be where I am headed.

3. While I am a huge fan of Apple, MSFT Outlook is, in my view, best in class and it sucks that the macOS version is crippled (as noted above) and than iCloud for Windows is not working be it ARM, Parallels, Windows 11 or some combination.

Thanks.
Outlook for Mac has always seemed surprisingly half baked to me. I don't love Outlook for Windows either but I do use it everyday on my work PC and it is functional. For my personal email I have been quite happy with the Mail client on the Mac, the reply all button is working fine for me. That said, I don't use iCloud for my mail but I do use them for contacts, notes and calendar. The builtin Mac apps do support Exchange so that is certainly an option.

There are a number of alternative email clients for the Mac. This article covers a few:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Outlook for Mac has always seemed surprisingly half baked to me. I don't love Outlook for Windows either but I do use it everyday on my work PC and it is functional. For my personal email I have been quite happy with the Mail client on the Mac, the reply all button is working fine for me. That said, I don't use iCloud for my mail but I do use them for contacts, notes and calendar. The builtin Mac apps do support Exchange so that is certainly an option.

There are a number of alternative email clients for the Mac. This article covers a few:

Appreciate the response.

As noted above, I may just suck it up and live with Mail's shortcomings (at least to me).

I thank you for the article and will read it shortly.

otter888

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2022
Has there been any solution to the OP's issue? I am having the same issue now (no default mail client popup) with same hardware and software setup. I have tried a number of 'solutions' offered out there that I found via Google to no avail.

greenbergm0625

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
The best workaround I have found is to install a mail client called "EM Client". It connects to Icloud mail/calendar/contacts just fine, and is a good alternative to Outlook until Apple decides to update the Icloud for Windows application to work on the ARM version of Windows - now almost 3 years without any changes.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
The best workaround I have found is to install a mail client called "EM Client". It connects to Icloud mail/calendar/contacts just fine, and is a good alternative to Outlook until Apple decides to update the Icloud for Windows application to work on the ARM version of Windows - now almost 3 years without any changes.

@greenbergm0625 , appreciate the suggestion.

One follow up, are the EM Client Windows e-mail messages stored in teh MSG format so that they will be backwards compatible with Outlook should Apple ever update iCloud for Windows?

Thanks.

greenbergm0625

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
@greenbergm0625 , appreciate the suggestion.

One follow up, are the EM Client Windows e-mail messages stored in teh MSG format so that they will be backwards compatible with Outlook should Apple ever update iCloud for Windows?

Thanks.
Not sure - since Icloud is an IMAP server all the messages are in the cloud and can be viewed with a number of clients. I have the free version of EM Client. There is an export function to .eml format, which is an Outlook native message format.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Not sure - since Icloud is an IMAP server all the messages are in the cloud and can be viewed with a number of clients. I have the free version of EM Client. There is an export function to .eml format, which is an Outlook native message format.
Appreciate the response. I was hoping that the format would be *.msg.

Can you do me a favour, can you drag an e-mail (any e-mail) from the WINDOWS EM CLIENT to the WINDOWS desktop and let me know what the file format is (i.e., EML or MSG).

Thanks.

greenbergm0625

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
It’s .eml format, which Outlook can import, but again this should not matter since ICloud email is IMAP. I’d suggest you download the client and give it a try.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
It’s .eml format, which Outlook can import, but again this should not matter since ICloud email is IMAP. I’d suggest you download the client and give it a try.

Appreciate you testing this for me. very helpful.

Thank you!

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi All!

I can not still not get iCloud fro Windows to work on Apple Silicon/Parallels/Windows 11 combination.

Questions:

1. Has anyone been able to get this to work and, if yes, how?

2. Has anyone discovered a workaround and, if yes, what is it?

Thanks.

nuyan20

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
Adana Türkiye Republic
I had the same yesterday. The whole iCloud Settings window was greyed out with spinning cog. Rebooting Windows did not solve.

Today it is OK !
Yes, I am experiencing it too, I could not install it, I continue to research, also my imac SSD disk is externally connected, I could not install the 2nd operating system, Windows 10 or 11, thank you, good work.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Arrrg! It would be nice to get the fixed / working. The guessing is that neither Apple nor Microsoft sees this as an issue that is worth the work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.