Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Says on the website that it can support the Mac Pro but i downloaded it and instlled it but before i can install the windows XP on it it always crashs and i was wondring if anyone here managed to use it with the mac pros.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
crazycat said:
Says on the website that it can support the Mac Pro but i downloaded it and instlled it but before i can install the windows XP on it it always crashs and i was wondring if anyone here managed to use it with the mac pros.

When did you download it? There was a new release yesterday that claims any fixes with Mac Pro's. You want build 1898.

Eariler versions were just kernel panicing for me, I'll try this new one tonight.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
Thanks for the heads up on the new update, I have had the same problem with my MacPro crahsing I will download the new version as well.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
tyr2 said:
You want build 1898.

Eariler versions were just kernel panicing for me, I'll try this new one tonight.

Just gave 1898 a quick test with an install of Vista RC1, seems fine although the networking support isn't working, probably just need to tweak it a bit.

There is a new 2Gb limit where Parallels reduces your available system ram to 2Gb before it runs. Even tho I have 2Gb of RAM it resizes from 2048Mb to 2000Mb which seems a bit odd but there you go. I'm told they're working on a proper fix at the moment.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
crazycat said:

They are definetly making progress. But right now it's only utilizing 1 processor and not even as a dual core :( it did run fine until I tried to do a disk benchmark using sisoft sandra then it just quit lol but cpu tested out at about half of what it does in bootcamp.

Oh and the network issues seem to have been resolved.

But the 2gig memory limit has me shelving the product untill that is resolved. I am not limiting my mac's ram for parallels.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
tyr2 said:
Just gave 1898 a quick test with an install of Vista RC1, seems fine although the networking support isn't working, probably just need to tweak it a bit.
Does it support Aero? (update: nope. I wanted to see Aero effects...) I'm gonna give build 1898 a try since the previous release instantly KP'd my Mac Pro before I could even do anything. I have a legit copy of RC1 :eek: but didn't want to install it on my Boot Camp partition since I needed a compatible, stable, non-prerelease version of Windows too.

Update: hey, whaddya know, it works. That's 2GB RAM limit is annoying though, makes you use it and restart to run Parallels, even if you only have 2GB of RAM anyway.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks guys i will try it (downloading it now) and see if it works.

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
Just curious what the overall stability of parallels is on the Mac Pro. I was thinking of getting one and setting it up to run 2 or 3 virtual machines that would be servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.