Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pretorien

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2014
I am currently running Parallels 12 on a mid-2014 MBP / El Capitan. I would like to upgrade the OS and am willing to upgrade the Parallels software assuming that the new version would still support Win XP SP3. I only run 3 programs in Windows - an old (2004) Quicken, an even older (2003) MS Office and Dragon Naturally Speaking. These programs do what I ask of them and I am not willing to upgrade them (and they will not run under newer WIN versions) I am not concerned about lack of support for XP - I never use it for internet connection except to potentially download program updates.

According to the Parallels web site, the new version, 15, will support XP. I can't confirm this directly since there is no way to ask a specific question unless, perhaps, one resorts to Facebook, Twaddle, etc, none of which I use. I found a brief two line comment that the combination of Parallels upgrade and O/S upgrade can be accomplished by first upgrading Parallels in the current O/S, with the implication that it will install under and simply transfer the existing Win programs and the proceed with the O/S upgrade but it appears that one must be running High Sierra or newer to do this. I wonder if this is a critical boundary but, again, there is no way to ask.

Any suggestions?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
According to the Parallels web site, the new version, 15, will support XP. I can't confirm this directly...
That's pretty direct confirmation if it is published on the web site. It shouldn't matter whether you update Parallels or macOS first. I think it's probably better to update to Catalina first, then the Parallels 15 installation will put all of its files in their proper places, and you'll be good to go. The existing Windows XP virtual hard drive will remain and be ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.