Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
This update for Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac 17.1.0 (51516) addresses overall stability and security issues, and includes the following fixes and improvements:

Windows

· To meet the Windows 11 requirements and increase compatibility with Windows 11, a virtual TPM chip is added automatically to new Windows 11 virtual machines. This improvement also simplifies creating new installations of Windows 11, installing Windows 11 updates and upgrading to Windows 11.

· For new Windows 10 virtual machines created on Mac computers with the Apple M1 chip, a virtual TPM chip is added automatically.

· When a TPM chip is added to the virtual machine configuration, Windows Secure Boot is enabled automatically.

Linux

· Support for VirGL in Virtio GPU which enables Linux 3D acceleration out of the box in supported Linux distributions, brings visual performance improvements, and allows using the Wayland protocol in Linux virtual machines.

macOS 12 Monterey

· Full support for macOS 12 Monterey as a host operating system.

· Improved support for macOS 12 Monterey virtual machines on Mac computers running Monterey and equipped with the Apple M1 chip:

· Install Parallels Tools in macOS 12 Monterey and copy and paste text between the virtual machine and Mac.

· The default virtual machine disk size has been increased from 32 to 64 GB.

Games

· Resolves graphics issues with various Windows games including, but not limited to: World of Warcraft, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, Tomb Raider III, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, World of Tanks, and Raft.

Issues reported by Parallels users

Windows

· Resolves an issue with a Windows 10 virtual machine failing to upgrade to Windows 11 and showing the "Your PC does not meet the minimum hardware requirements." error message.

· Improved performance of and fixed a graphics issue with pale text in Kompas 18.1 running in a Windows 10 virtual machine on a Mac equipped with a discrete graphics card.

· Resolves an issue with Caramba and Punto Switcher crashing in a virtual machine after upgrading Parallels Desktop to version 17.

· Resolves an issue with not being able to drag and drop images from the Finder to the Darkroom app.

· Resolves an issue with graphical artifacts and flickering in the Steam version of Eve Online.

· Resolves an issue with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive not starting in Windows on a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.

· Resolves an issue with the "OpenClipboard Failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800401D0 (CLIPBRD_E_CANT_OPEN))" message appearing when executing "copy files to clipboard" in Microsoft Visual Studio 2019.

· Resolves an issue with the Mac Files folder being deleted and not appearing on the Windows desktop again after the Parallels Tools reinstallation.

Linux

· Resolves some kernel video driver issues that caused graphical artifacts or slowed down Linux virtual machines.

· Resolves an issue with Parallels Tools not installing in a Kali Linux 2021 virtual machine having libGL for i386 installed and running on a Mac equipped with the Apple M1 chip.

UPDATE_DESCRIPTION:

· Resolves an issue with the Linux Mint virtual appliance description mentioning a wrong version of Mint available for download.

macOS

· Resolves an issue with an unclear error message appearing when trying to create a macOS virtual machine from the Recovery partition if it is in use by another process.

Other

· Resolves an issue with not being able to register a packed virtual machine if its name or description contains some Unicode characters.

· Resolves an issue with sound sometimes disappearing on a Mac after running a virtual machine.

· Resolves an issue with some UASP storages connecting to macOS, Windows 7 and Windows XP virtual machines but not appearing in these guest operating systems after upgrading a Mac to macOS 11 Big Sur.

· Resolves an issue with not being able to deploy Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition via JAMF using a zipped .pkg file.

· Resolves an issue with not being able to open subfolders stored in shared folders if subfolder name contains the Unicode characters that look differently in the precomposed and decomposed states.

· Resolves an issue with not being able to open subfolders stored in shared folders if subfolder name starts the same way as the folder containing it.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Pretty cool. Am I right in thinking that the licence is tied to hardware, rather than an account? If this were on the App Store and had a more liberal licensing model I'd buy it yesterday.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I know someone who wants a new mac, but wants to run MSAccess via parallels. Ever try that? Looks like it would have to be in x64 translation mode if it were to work, as it doesn't look like there's an Arm Access.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
I have only one program that I use in Windows. It's simply not available for the mac and the programmer will never do it. But I would need an upgrade of the program from my current XP version to windows 10, and I would need to buy the $99 version of Parallels 17. So for $230, it might work; and it might not. Not willing to do that, and so I use my M1Pro for most things, but have to switch back to my old 2013 Mojave MBP to run virtual box and windows xp. I’m not willing to sign on to a subscription parallels for one program that I use essentially but infrequently.

Its the only thing I don’t like about my new M1Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.