Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
As far as I am aware VMware Fusion does not yet support running Windows on ASi Macs.
Fusion does support running Windows on Apple Silicon, but it’s clunky and not at feature parity with either Parallels Desktop or Fusion on Intel, and you have to source the Windows installer yourself.

Reactions: gilby101

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just made sure the auto-renew of the subscription is off. I barely use Parallels on my M1, so its time to say good buy - or when the sub expires

Reactions: SB1500

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I am using UTM Win11 Arm via Remote Desktop ( of cause same MBA M2 ) and it is freakin fast and responsive as direct Desktop. And yes i installed the SpiceTools for UTM as recomendet.
No CAD and Gaming but extensive Programming SQL Database related stuf is working as fast as on the AMD 4700 8 Core Laptop. Not slow at all if you install ARM Windows 11.

Same with all of my Ubuntu Server VM´s and guess what :) i can use 2 simultan ( for full extensive Network i use a USB-ETH for each VM ).

1679499457673.png

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am using UTM Win11 Arm via Remote Desktop ( of cause same MBA M2 ) and it is freakin fast and responsive as direct Desktop. And yes i installed the SpiceTools for UTM as recomendet.
No CAD and Gaming but extensive Programming SQL Database related stuf is working as fast as on the AMD 4700 8 Core Laptop. Not slow at all if you install ARM Windows 11.

Same with all of my Ubuntu Server VM´s and guess what :) i can use 2 simultan ( for full extensive Network i use a USB-ETH for each VM ).

View attachment 2177300

Are you able to run games on your Mac OS 9 VM?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Are you able to run games on your Mac OS 9 VM?

As i stated before i would never try to run Games on a VM.
In general i use Parsec ( or just occupy ) the NASA PC´s of my Teenager Daughters for Games or 3D Blender.

But what the Hack you mean with Games for OS9 ? Are there some ? Flying Tosters running, you better download an SheepShaver based OS9 you can run as App and try yourself ;-)

To install this system, download and expand Mac OS 9.zip. (The file is about 620MB in size; it contains a 1.5 GB hard disk image file.) You may copy the Mac OS 9 application to your Applications folder or run it from anywhere else. This is a universal application, native to both Intel and Apple Silicon machines. (Updated 29 May 2022.)

When Holding Option while clicking on the Icon to start the App you can edit ScreenSize and other Options.

UTM:

UTM configs for other MacOS on MacOS with UTM:

Just extract and copy in to:

/Users/UserName/Library/Containers/utm/Data/Documents/

After Starting UTM you can see the VM in the Sidebar

1679581753198.png
This reminds to something actual...........

For File Transfer between Ventura and OS9 just use QuickFTP Port 21 on Ventura to share a Folder via FTP ( configure your UTM OS9 with bridged mode Network and extra Adapter ) use the Standard NetworkBrowser App of OS9 to connect to your Host IP FTP.

Last edited:

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022

View attachment 2177300
How do you put usb-eth on your virtual machines?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
How do you put usb-eth on your virtual machines?
Hi @MmkLucario

first you have to find the enX Number for the desired ETH USB Adabter on your Mac with the following Command Terminal:

Bash:
networksetup -listallhardwareports

Then set the Network Preference in UTM to Bridge and enter the enX into Bridged Interface:

1680158061191.png

In the Mac System Preferences i set the IPv4 for the Adapter to off and IPv6 to Only Local:

1680157993169.png

Download Microsoft Remote Desktop from App Store:

Add PC / VM with either the Network Name or IP.

If you have installed Ubuntu Linux before you have to go to Terminal in your Ubuntu Linux install + edit:

Bash:
ip link show

it shows the available Network Interfaces and Status, then edit the config file:

Bash:
sudo nano /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml

network:
version: 2
ethernets:
eth0:
dhcp4: true

After you have edited the config:

Bash:
sudo netplan try

if ok then apply:

Bash:
sudo netplan apply

Last edited:
Reactions: MmkLucario

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Hi @MmkLucario

first you have to find the enX Number for the desired ETH USB Adabter on your Mac with the following Command Terminal:

Bash:
networksetup -listallhardwareports

Then set the Network Preference in UTM to Bridge and enter the enX into Bridged Interface:

View attachment 2181064

In the Mac System Preferences i set the IPv4 for the Adapter to off and IPv6 to Only Local:

View attachment 2181063

If you have installed Ubuntu Linux before you have to go to Terminal in your Ubuntu Linux install + edit:

Bash:
ip link show

it shows the available Network Interfaces and Status, then edit the config file:

Bash:
sudo nano /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml

network:
version: 2
ethernets:
eth0:
dhcp4: true

After you have edited the config:

Bash:
sudo netplan try

if ok then apply:

Bash:
sudo netplan apply
So, a couple of questions.

Do you need to have Ethernet connected? Or is it something else?

And when you say remote in, do you mean turn on the virtual machine, then remote into the virtual machine from macOS, or do you use the virtual machine like normal?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
So, a couple of questions.

Do you need to have Ethernet connected? Or is it something else?

And when you say remote in, do you mean turn on the virtual machine, then remote into the virtual machine from macOS, or do you use the virtual machine like normal?

I have set the USB ETH Adapter to use exclusivly for the VM in UTM.
These Adapters are Cheap and i have set this 2 for 2 VM´s at the same Time while the MBA M2 Host is using Wlan:

1680160202294.png
1680159932150.png
1680159981745.png

So the VM is in the Network behaving like a physical PC and is fully Network Capable.

I minimize the UTM VM Windows when starting the Win11 VM and connect to the Win11 VM as it was a physical PC/Laptop, yes.

This way the Mac is Rendering the Display and there are no Graphic Glitches as it is also fast and even Window Mode scales down Perfect.

Last edited:

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I have set the USB ETH Adapter to use exclusivly for the VM in UTM.
These Adapters are Cheap and i have set this 2 for 2 VM´s at the same Time while the MBA M2 Host is using Wlan:

View attachment 2181070 View attachment 2181068 View attachment 2181069

So the VM is in the Network behaving like a physical PC and is fully Network Capable.

I minimize the UTM VM Windows when starting the Win11 VM and connect to the Win11 VM as it was a physical PC/Laptop, yes.

This way the Mac is Rendering the Display and there are no Graphic Glitches as it is also fast and even Window Mode scales down Perfect.
Ok. I just need the Ethernet adapter then? I don’t actually need to have Ethernet?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
If you only plan to access your VM from within your Mac Host:

You can also choose Shared Network:

1680271283001.png

In Windows Enter in cmd
ipconfig/ALL

Then lookup the IP Adress:
192.168.64.X

Type into Microsoft Remote Desktop and Access.

Otherwise, yes you need the Connection on the Adapter when Planing on access from outside the Mac Host.

If you choose "bridged" network mode, your VM will get an IP on your Mac's LAN and you will need to access your guest's services via that IP.

If you choose "shared" network mode, your VM will get a private IP in a virtual subnet, but will be able to access the host and the internet. It will not be visible to other computers on the host LAN and vice versa.

It you choose "emulated VLAN" network mode (QEMU backend only), the VM will get a virtual LAN and IP in the 10.0.2.X range. To access services in it you will need to use the Port Forwarding section in the Network config.

Last edited:

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
If you only plan to access your VM from within your Mac Host:

You can also choose Shared Network:

View attachment 2181726

In Windows Enter in cmd
ipconfig/ALL

Then lookup the IP Adress:
192.168.64.X

Type into Microsoft Remote Desktop and Access.

Otherwise, yes you need the Connection on the Adapter when Planing on access from outside the Mac Host.

If you choose "bridged" network mode, your VM will get an IP on your Mac's LAN and you will need to access your guest's services via that IP.

If you choose "shared" network mode, your VM will get a private IP in a virtual subnet, but will be able to access the host and the internet. It will not be visible to other computers on the host LAN and vice versa.

It you choose "emulated VLAN" network mode (QEMU backend only), the VM will get a virtual LAN and IP in the 10.0.2.X range. To access services in it you will need to use the Port Forwarding section in the Network config.
Thanks! I’ll try it once I set up UTM! One last question. When you say you get fast graphics, does that mean latency is low, or could you play games?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
UTM has a Grafic Driver for:
1680288315032.png

Installed with the Spice Tools ( Reporting DX12 ) but when installing or starting a Game it stops on Security Driver install Error allready.
Havent tested it before but the UTM 4.15 has improved that under Windows a lot:
virtio-ramfb-gl (Apple Silicon) or virtio-vga-gl (Intel)

It is an ARM Windows, if a Game might run, it runs on X86 EMU inside Win11 ARM EMU........
As i play Games only on the NASA PC´s of my teenage Daughters i do not have a clue.
Heard of some trying Games with Paralells.

It seems that the UTM Team is working on a TPM implementation so time will tell when you may able to Play Games.

Last edited:

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
UTM has a Grafic Driver for:
View attachment 2181922
Installed with the Spice Tools ( Reporting DX12 ) but when installing or starting a Game it stops on Security Driver install Error allready.

It is an ARM Windows, if a Game might run, it runs on X86 EMU inside Win11 ARM EMU........

As i play Games only on the NASA PC´s of my teenage Daughters i do not have a clue.

Heard of some trying Games with Paralells.
Thanks! I’ll have to try it out then!

Reactions: genexx

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why would I go for parallels over VMWare? Any good reason?

Don't forget to look into Virtualbox. It is free and open source and not runs on Apple Silicon.

The three, Fusion, Parallels and VB are targeted to different users.

Parallels -- home users who want to run Windows in a Mac.
Fusion -- Enterprise users using VSphere and such
VB-- more technically oriented end users who understand the technology.

I'm currently using VB to host some low-end servers on a headless Mac Mini. The whole setup runs in a closet.

Reactions: T-K-L

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Don't forget to look into Virtualbox. It is free and open source and not runs on Apple Silicon.

The three, Fusion, Parallels and VB are targeted to different users.

Parallels -- home users who want to run Windows in a Mac.
Fusion -- Enterprise users using VSphere and such
VB-- more technically oriented end users who understand the technology.

I'm currently using VB to host some low-end servers on a headless Mac Mini. The whole setup runs in a closet.

Does virtualbox support 3d graphics?

Jesse_Bassett

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2021
Inver Grove Heights, MN
As someone who uses Parallels, I recommend it highly. I have tried VMware Fusion but it has its issues. It is much slower IMHO than Parallels is. Plus the integration onto the macOS system is lacking what Parallels brings.

Reactions: SB1500

coldt

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2022
Yes, a better product, pure and simple.
  • Vmware is late to the ARM party and so they only have a tech preview available.
  • Even before the transition to ARM, Parallels offered more features, and better performance.
  • Vmware seems a bit slow in updating their Fusion application, i.e., you get what you pay for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • More stable product over Vmware.
  • DirectX support

I hate subscriptions, don't get me wrong, but Parallels is a much better option then vmware. In a sense, you get what you pay for. Free means less features, and less updates, and less attention by the developer. You also have to ask yourself how are they making money on you?

See this:https://www.parallels.com/pd/fusion-compete/
Hello,
Actually, this thread now relates to another one; essentially, I'm running into technical problems installing Parallels and I'm interested in (1) whether QEMU/UTM may be a good alternative as of April 2023 and (2) whether anyone got Parallels running on the newest MacBook (M2) with Ventura 13.x. Also, (3) Parallels on the newest MacOS seems to have quite some relevant limitations, some of which I don't fully understand; e.g. "it is currently not possible ... to register with Apple ID." and I wonder whether that means that I cannot run MacOS Ventura inside the VM?
Thanks in advance!
Coldt

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello,
Actually, this thread now relates to another one; essentially, I'm running into technical problems installing Parallels and I'm interested in (1) whether QEMU/UTM may be a good alternative as of April 2023 and (2) whether anyone got Parallels running on the newest MacBook (M2) with Ventura 13.x. Also, (3) Parallels on the newest MacOS seems to have quite some relevant limitations, some of which I don't fully understand; e.g. "it is currently not possible ... to register with Apple ID." and I wonder whether that means that I cannot run MacOS Ventura inside the VM?
Thanks in advance!
Coldt
Apple’s virtualization framework, which Parallels and other products use for virtualizing macOS, has all these limitations you’re seeing. You can run a virtualized macOS but it’s subject to all the limitations that Parallels lists.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
(2) whether anyone got Parallels running on the newest MacBook (M2) with Ventura 13.x.
I can't answer about the M2 Macbook, but runs fine on an M1 Max Studio with the latest Ventura version.

for 3, that's a limitation of Mac OS running virtualized. 2 Macs can't sign in to Apple ID with the same hardware identifiers, and that's basically what happens with virtualization -- it looks like the same Mac trying to sign in twice and that's a no-no according to current Apple standards. That goes for any current virtualization solution. I believe a workaround will eventually be found.

What it means practically, is that you can run Mac OS in a VM on a Mac OS host, you just can't sign into Apple ID and use your iCloud resources in the VM. Everything else works.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you are going to choose between Parallels and Fusion, then why not also look at Virtual Box? Virtual Box is open source and will always be free.

Virtual Box is however targeted at users who know a little about computers, VMWare's Fusion seems to be mostly targeted to IT workers who work with VMWare's server products. As Fusion is part of a much larger infrastructure. Parallels is targeted to home users and might be easier for them.

I'd try Virtual Box first. If it works for you then you have a 100% free product that does not beg you to buy the "Pro" version.

Reactions: T-K-L
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.