Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andre_xs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2023
Dear All,
my first post here :) I'm an Android user (Android 10), but my 14-year old daughter now got a (used) iPhone 13. Unfortunately, Apple's family sharing and parental controls can only be controlled using an Apple device, which we don't have...

Before this, she had an Android, so I'm familiar with Google's Family Link (and now realised that Google offers the parent app for iOS ;-). We don't need much control, the most essential is controlling the screen time and being able to lock the phone (with standard phone calls still allowed). We don't need to control the apps she installs, we trust her in that respect, and also no web-filter or alike.

Ideally, we can set an overall screen time limit, a down-time (evening to morning), and app-specific limits. It would be perfect if we could set multiple on-off times on a day (e.g. allowed 4-5pm, blocked 5-7pm, allowed 7-8pm), Google Family link didn't have that fine-grained control...

I started having a look around and for example looked at "Kapersky Safe Kids". But I found in older posts that it seems that external apps, such as the Kapersky app cannot block an iPhone due to Apple's security restrictions. I don't want to start a discussion about whether this is good or not, I'm just wondering whether
(a) this is still the case (I only found posts from ~2021) and most importantly:
(b) whether someone knows any way (app / functionality / web interface) to control my daughter's iPhone (screen time & blocking device) without any other Apple device in the household?

Many thanks &
Best wishes,
Andre

Last edited:
Reactions: julienester

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
For your consideration, I've had great success with the Gryphon mesh Wi-Fi system's parental controls. The product includes a subscription service which allows for fine-grained parental controls on both Android and iOS devices via device management.. think iOS MDM. The parental controls are configured and managed using an Android or iOS app installed on the parental device.

I know you aren't asking about Wi-Fi or router based parental controls but in my experience it's virtually impossible to implement good parental controls w/out a combination of local (home network) and roving (ext network) combined solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.