Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
How does parental control on an iPhone work?
I'm already familiar with "Screen time" on my iPad, which is useful for limiting how long a child for instance can play games. Is this what parental control is, or is there more to it?

We've been using Googles "Family link" with the child's Android phone up to now, but am about to get an iPhone for the child instead now. Family link was a huge pain to install and set up (as with all Android related issues IMHO), but has generally worked quite well after that. It's nice to be able to remotely shut down, extend or limit the use of the phone (as opposed to having to physically do it on the child's phone). Is this sort of thing possible to do with iPhones as well?

As for installing apps, would it be a good idea to simply set up the child's phone as one of the parent's phones (i.e. by logging into iCloud/Appstore etc. using the parent's username/password), not sharing this login info with the child, thereby limiting which apps can be installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.